[comp.sys.apple] BINSCII upload/downloads

harryw@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Harry Wilklow III) (12/24/89)

   Could anyone please list the syntax for using BINSCII to me.  I finally
managed to get it off from the board (it converted very nicely to a 9 block
ProDOS bin file).  I'm not a real computer whiz, but have been reading the
boards on here for the last couple of months and realize that this is a hot
item as far as the transfers go.  From what I have seen, I assume that this
gem converts binary files to txt (ascii) format, or something of that
nature.  I guess the big queston is HOW?  Is the binary file BLOADed and
then BINSCII BRUN?  Is everything SAVED, BSAVED, or OPENed--WRITten--and
CLOSEd like a standard ascii write?  Do I have to be somewhere in the
monitor to use it?

   I have also seen a relationship here between BINSCII and ShrinkIt.  That
I have used (I have version 2.1a).  Do you guys/gals do an ascii save using
BINSCII and then splice that file into the overall upload file (with a word
processor) before sending?

   After the jubilation of getting this thing on disk (I spent about 3 days
trying to get Kermit to work, switching between DOS 3.3 and ProDOS [word
perfect] replacing these wierd ESC codes with $0D for returns, and never
did get it to work [NO BUFFERS AVAILABLE]) I can brun it to stare at a
blank screen,...  obviously I am doing something wrong...

   Any help would be appreciated.  I am using a IIc with 512K Multiram cx
board.

                                   Harry
--
Harry Wilklow III		rutgers!mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!harryw
Enterprise Information Systems	harryw@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (12/26/89)

I tried this by mail, but it failed...

To: harryw@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US
Subject: Re: BINSCII upload/downloads
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Bcc:

BinSCII is remarkably easy to use once you've got it unpacked
properly. Unfortunately, you don't quite have it right yet. Exec that
text file until BinSCII is stored as a SYS file. Oddly, the
executioner program only sometimes properly adjusts the file's info.

Once it's a SYS file, you just run the program (ie, from a launcher or
by typing -binscii from BASIC). You may now convert or unconvert a
file. Binary files are automatically split up into several text files,
and unconverting the several text files will automatically reassemble
the original binary file. Absolutely any file may be converted to a
text file but only text files with a line "FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt" in them
will unconvert.

BinSCII is not as picky about the file contents as executioner is. For
example, you do NOT have to edit out mailer headers and stuff. Also,
the text file you unconvert can have several converted parts in it
(each starting with the "FiLe..." line). It doesn't matter what order
you unconvert the parts in - BinSCII does the right thing.

Hope this is helpful...
--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu