[comp.sys.apple] AppleShare & the Finder

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (12/28/89)

Duhh.. is this Apple Tech Support?  :-)

I have AppleShare installed on a Mac Plus with a 20mb hard disk named "HD".
I installed GS/OS on the server using the Installer, along with Server
Network Startup so the IIgs could boot off of the server.  I created a few
user accounts and set access levels for each folder in the root directory
of HD -- Mac folders have no permission allowed, and the Apple II folders
have full read/write permission.  So far, everything is hunky-dory... I can
boot off of the Mac, go make a pot of coffee & come back as the Finder
appears, launch applications, and return to the Finder without a hitch.

The problem I'm having is with Icon colorings and saving Finder information
onto the server disk (HD.)  The Finder refuses to save window positions and
icon colors to the server disk, no matter how I set that option on the
Preferences dialog box.  This is a real hassle, as every time I return to the
Finder, I have to re-open the server icon and re-open a couple of folders to
get to the application folder that was left open when I ran the last
application.

If I use an icon editor to change the colors of icons (yellow folders, for
example,) the colors are all off when the root directory of the server disk
is displayed -- yellow folders display as light-green, light-green application
icons appear as dark green, etc.  The colors are correct when folders
underneath the root directory are opened.  It's only in the root directory
that the colors are screwed up.

I can understand why it would be necessary to prevent Finder information from
being saved to a server volume, since you wouldn't want Person B to have
Person A's windows displayed when he returns to the Finder.  Is it possible
to open specific folders on the server disk, set the View By preference to
"By Kind", and have that info permanently stored (for individual users or all
users) so nobody has to re-open several folders whenever they log on to the
server or return to the Finder?

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (12/30/89)

In article <8912280516.AA10434@trout.nosc.mil> jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) writes:

> The problem I'm having is with Icon colorings and saving Finder information
> onto the server disk (HD.)  The Finder refuses to save window positions and
> icon colors to the server disk, no matter how I set that option on the
> Preferences dialog box.  This is a real hassle, as every time I return to the
> Finder, I have to re-open the server icon and re-open a couple of folders to
> get to the application folder that was left open when I ran the last
> application.

Maybe some of this is in the works for System 6.0, but there's currently no
way to make it work the way you want it, save for one hasslesome workaround,
at least as far as I know.

> If I use an icon editor to change the colors of icons (yellow folders, for
> example,) the colors are all off when the root directory of the server disk
> is displayed -- yellow folders display as light-green, light-green application
> icons appear as dark green, etc.  The colors are correct when folders
> underneath the root directory are opened.  It's only in the root directory
> that the colors are screwed up.

The reason the colors are messed up is that the window position is aligned to
an odd pixel (which messes up 640 dithered colors).  This can be fixed in the
same way as the other problem:  the GS determines the window positions and
sizes according to what AppleShare tells it, but it doesn't tell AppleShare
the changes.  A Mac, however, does record the changes.  If, as the owner of
a folder, you change its position/size defaults on a Mac (this can be done by
closing the folder (you may have to drag the server icon to the trash also))
then what you see on the GS will look somewhat similar.  Yes it's a pain, but
at least you can fix the icon color problems (you should see the AWGS icon
with reversed colors ... ick!)

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.