[comp.sys.apple] New Beagle Software...

daehl@madnix.UUCP (Donald Aehl) (12/16/89)

I just got a look at some of the "new" Beagle Bros. software. Namely:
BeagleWrite GS, BeagleDraw and Beagle Desk Accessories GS.

Now, I have always been really supportive of Beagle software, but I must say
that I am quite dissapointed in these "new" titles.

First of all, BeagleWrite GS (formerly "MultiScribe GS") has virtually no
improvements whatsoever.  It is labeled version "3.2", but is all but
indistinguishable from Multiscribe GS 3.1c.  The only change is that it is no
longer copy-protected.  The dictionaries are still useless when installed on a
hard drive.  The manual simply says "we're working on it.." Yeah, right.

BeagleDraw.  The only change is that the menubar no longer uses that awfull
font which was so hard to read.  It is an interesting variation on Chicago, but
it is proportioned for 320 mode. Still, the program is buggy & sluggish.  It
is frustrating to have the magnification at maximum but still not be able to
align objects accurately.  Something is wrong with the refresh routines, and
the main window is regularly trashed during scrolling.  It was really
frustrating to work with.  Draw Plus is heads and shoulders above this beast.

And finally, Beagle Desk Accessories GS.  I was really hopeful about this one.
I really loved the Menuclock permanent init file on my system 3.2 disks.  And
hoped that this new one would be compatible with System 5.0.2 Well, it wasn't.
It interferes with the Font Manager Toolset and causes all kinds of problems
with everything from AWGS 1.1 to BeagleWrite. As far as the other DAs go, I
don't have anything negative to say.  The notepad works fine and so does the
scrapbook (both extremely useful utilities).

Well, I don't want to seem like a jerk.  I applaud Beagle Bros for takiing the
initiative to purchase the StyleWare products.  However, distributing them
without even correcting the bugs (which have existed for a few years now) seems
reckless and thoughtless at best.

I sure hope Beagle puts some support into these products.   They have the
potential to be the best on the market.  However, if they take their time and
decide to let them be, then Beagle Bros probably shouldn't have bought them in
the first place.

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) (12/19/89)

>First of all, BeagleWrite GS (formerly "MultiScribe GS") has virtually no
>improvements whatsoever.  It is labeled version "3.2", but is all but
>indistinguishable from Multiscribe GS 3.1c.  The only change is that it is no
>longer copy-protected.  The dictionaries are still useless when installed on
>hard drive.  The manual simply says "we're working on it.." Yeah, right.

Yes, there are some problems still with the dictionaries. But I would
like to give you some of the inside scoop.  When Beagle Bros got
MultiScribe, we got ourselves a mess. Sorry folks, Styleware didn't
do a good job keeping source code updated with object code and the like.

We've been cleaning it up since we've got it and trying to fix problems
along the way.  The dictionary problems and compatibility with AW 3.0
are both on our list of things to work on.

>From what I see, I don't think StyleWare would have ever updated
MultiScribe GS.. or maybe that's could never have?

As to changes, we've made sure it is compatible with System 5.0, removed
the copy-protection and taken care of bugs here and there (I can't
remember them all).

>I sure hope Beagle puts some support into these products.   They have the
>potential to be the best on the market.  However, if they take their time and
>decide to let them be, then Beagle Bros probably shouldn't have bought them
in
>the first place.

It takes time to clean up code. Beagle Bros has always come through
for the customer.  Just check Beagle's past performance. We're not
about to throw it that away.

Mark Munz

a34@mindlink.UUCP (David Martyn) (12/19/89)

Mark:
I have had a aproblem with BeagleWrite.  The program hangs when I try to load
it on my RamWorks Card.  I borrowed a version of the Styleware MultiSCribe and
it loaded correctly.  Are you aware of this problem?
David Martyn, Burnaby, British Columbia  |  Perfection of the means of
Sysop: Apples BC  BBS                    |  communication has meant
David_Martyn@MindLink.uucp               |  instantaneity. (McLuhan)

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com@canremote.uucp (mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM) (12/21/89)

From: mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz)
Orga: The Internet

>First of all, BeagleWrite GS (formerly "MultiScribe GS") has
virtually no >improvements whatsoever.  It is labeled version "3.2",
but is all but >indistinguishable from Multiscribe GS 3.1c.  The only
change is that it is no >longer copy-protected.  The dictionaries are
still useless when installed on a
>hard drive.  The manual simply says "we're working on it.." Yeah,
right.

Yes, there are some problems still with the dictionaries. But I would
like to give you some of the inside scoop.  When Beagle Bros got
MultiScribe, we got ourselves a mess. Sorry folks, Styleware didn't
do a good job keeping source code updated with object code and the
like.

We've been cleaning it up since we've got it and trying to fix
problems along the way.  The dictionary problems and compatibility
with AW 3.0 are both on our list of things to work on.

>From what I see, I don't think StyleWare would have ever updated
MultiScribe GS.. or maybe that's could never have?

As to changes, we've made sure it is compatible with System 5.0,
removed  the copy-protection and taken care of bugs here and there (I
can't  remember them all).

>I sure hope Beagle puts some support into these products.   They
have the >potential to be the best on the market.  However, if they
take their time and >decide to let them be, then Beagle Bros probably
shouldn't have bought them in
>the first place.

It takes time to clean up code. Beagle Bros has always come through
for the customer.  Just check Beagle's past performance. We're not
about to throw it that away.

Mark Munz

---
 * Via MaSNet/HST96/HST144/V32 - UN Apple
 * Via Usenet Newsgroup comp.sys.apple

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (01/01/90)

In article <14341.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) writes:

> Yes, there are some problems still with the dictionaries. But I would
> like to give you some of the inside scoop.  When Beagle Bros got
> MultiScribe, we got ourselves a mess. Sorry folks, Styleware didn't
> do a good job keeping source code updated with object code and the like.

StyleWare didn't do that lousy a job -- Claris did.  Claris was never very
interested in any of the StyleWare product line except for GSWorks.  Clar
didn't ask for source until all of the programmers and equipment had been moved
to California, continuing development on AWGS.  At that point, the StyleWare
office had been thrown to the four winds.  The source Beagle finally got was
culled from various programmers' hard drives, and included a few
post-production bug fixes.

> We've been cleaning it up since we've got it and trying to fix problems
> along the way.  The dictionary problems and compatibility with AW 3.0
> are both on our list of things to work on.

One thing I'm curious about, and I hope you don't consider this inappropriate
for the public forum (switch to email if you do), is why Beagle took so long
from accepting the source to the first complaint?  If they'd tried a build
immediately, they probably could've gotten more leverage in the deal/support
from Claris on the deal.

One thing I mentioned to some people in marketing at Claris was the possibility
of letting Beagle get the AWGS spell checker code, as of version 1.1.  It is
based on the code used in MSGS and has been pounded on quite a bit since 1.0v2
(which hadn't changed since 1.0)  I fixed bugs both in StyleWare's code and in
Proximity's.  The main practical problems would be that the source is in MPW,
not APW and that there might be some interfacing problems going back to MSGS
from AWGS.  However, it's my belief that that would still be easier than what
Beagle would have to do otherwise (or is it too late now?).

> >From what I see, I don't think StyleWare would have ever updated
> MultiScribe GS.. or maybe that's could never have?
StyleWare could have, probably would have.  Claris couldn't have, probably
wouldn't have tried.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.