[comp.sys.apple] TurboRez

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (12/20/89)

Well, how about some good news.  Here's so info about the TurboRez, from
someone who knows about it...

Here are some specs on the TurboRez GS I picked up recently...
_______________

o  320 * 200 pixel resolution with 256 colors per scan line
o  640 * 400 pixel resolution with 16 colors per scan line
o  Proprietary "blitter" chip to hustle graphics even faster
o  1 Megabyte of onboard video RAM - at 64K a page, lots of room
   for page flipping!  Picture perfect animation and rendering!
o  Hooks and maybe toolbox patches to hook to existing software
o  Suggested retail around $375-$400

They also hope to bundle it with a 4096 color paint program and animation
package.  The board is up to its second prototype, supposedly, but it should
be
pretty firm by MayFest.  By the way, it will ONLY offer two new resolutions,
320 * 200 w/256 colors per scan line and 640 * 480 w/16 colors per scan line
because anything in between like 320 * 400 was considered redundant, and
besides if you can get 640 * 400 who the heck would WANT half the resolution.
They'll also package a GIF/IFF picture converter with the board.
______________

Sounds good, eh?  For something like an extra $600, you can soup up your GS
to warp speed with a transwarp, and have super graphics with the TurboRez.
Maybe Apple might even put out the mystical GS+ one of these days.  Nah...
we'll have to "build our own"....

This card supposedly will fit in any slot; and basically replaces the vgc.

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (12/20/89)

The price is a little too steep...
It would be much nicer if Apple could incorporate it into a new GS.
Also, there are problems with software support. I heard that John
Brooks was working on it but I'm not sure about the rumour.
Anyway, the basic question is whether people are willing to buy the
card.
I would buy it if it had enough software support.
Otherwise, I can't justify the investment.

|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||
|____________________________________________||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (12/20/89)

In article <23629@gryphon.COM> lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) writes:
>Well, how about some good news.  Here's so info about the TurboRez, from
>someone who knows about it...
>
>Here are some specs on the TurboRez GS I picked up recently...
>_______________
>
>o  320 * 200 pixel resolution with 256 colors per scan line
>o  640 * 400 pixel resolution with 16 colors per scan line
>o  Proprietary "blitter" chip to hustle graphics even faster
>o  1 Megabyte of onboard video RAM - at 64K a page, lots of room
>   for page flipping!  Picture perfect animation and rendering!
>o  Hooks and maybe toolbox patches to hook to existing software
>o  Suggested retail around $375-$400
>
>They also hope to bundle it with a 4096 color paint program and animation
>package.  The board is up to its second prototype, supposedly, but it should
>be
>pretty firm by MayFest.  By the way, it will ONLY offer two new resolutions,
>320 * 200 w/256 colors per scan line and 640 * 480 w/16 colors per scan line
>because anything in between like 320 * 400 was considered redundant, and
>besides if you can get 640 * 400 who the heck would WANT half the resolution.
>They'll also package a GIF/IFF picture converter with the board.
>______________
>
>Sounds good, eh?  For something like an extra $600, you can soup up your GS
>to warp speed with a transwarp, and have super graphics with the TurboRez.
>Maybe Apple might even put out the mystical GS+ one of these days.  Nah...
>we'll have to "build our own"....
>
>This card supposedly will fit in any slot; and basically replaces the vgc.
>
>Lynda
>
>UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
>INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

  GREAT!  I've been waiting for more info on this board.  Looks like it's
  time to start saving money!!!

       Collin Douglas

       cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (12/21/89)

>o  320 * 200 pixel resolution with 256 colors per scan line
>o  640 * 400 pixel resolution with 16 colors per scan line
>o  Proprietary "blitter" chip to hustle graphics even faster
>o  1 Megabyte of onboard video RAM - at 64K a page, lots of room
>   for page flipping!  Picture perfect animation and rendering!
>o  Hooks and maybe toolbox patches to hook to existing software
>o  Suggested retail around $375-$400

Are they releasing information on how to write software using the board's
capabilities?
That would be helpful, since I would think that software compatibility
would be their biggest problem.  Otherwise it souinds really neat.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/21/89)

     I seriously doubt Apple would incorporate this board into the IIgs.
I assume they put slots in her to support additions like TurboRez.  Not
everyone needs the additional resolution (most want it, e.g. me!) and in-
corporating the card into the GS would only raise the price by at _least_
the price of TurboRez.  That takes the GS out of the home market if they
start incorporating 10Mhz Transwarps, Hard Drives, etc., and so on.
     I've also been waiting for something like this.  The wholesale price
may be steep, but then again it may, uhm, cheapen out by the time it
gets released.  Now I have to save up for a Transwarp, a Hard Drive, AND
this...*sigh*  :-)

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (12/23/89)

> Well, how about some good news.  Here's so info about the TurboRez, from
> someone who knows about it...
>
> Here are some specs on the TurboRez GS I picked up recently...
> _______________
>
> o  320 * 200 pixel resolution with 256 colors per scan line
> o  640 * 400 pixel resolution with 16 colors per scan line
> o  Proprietary "blitter" chip to hustle graphics even faster
> o  1 Megabyte of onboard video RAM - at 64K a page, lots of room
> for page flipping!  Picture perfect animation and rendering!
> o  Hooks and maybe toolbox patches to hook to existing software
> o  Suggested retail around $375-$400

Hmm..that sounds real good..finally some resonable graphics on the so-called
GS (Graphics/Sound) Apple //!  I don't see anything here about genlocking for
video however.  Is there anything happening for that..and does it do overscan?

> They also hope to bundle it with a 4096 color paint program and animation
> package.  The board is up to its second prototype, supposedly, but it should
> be
> pretty firm by MayFest.  By the way, it will ONLY offer two new resolutions,
> 320 * 200 w/256 colors per scan line and 640 * 480 w/16 colors per scan line
> because anything in between like 320 * 400 was considered redundant, and
> besides if you can get 640 * 400 who the heck would WANT half the resolution.
> They'll also package a GIF/IFF picture converter with the board.

Who's the rocket scientist that decided that a 400 verticle resolution
was redundant?  Seems to me that you would NEED 400 lines in interlace to be
able to output to video.  Does this thing even give a NTSC output?

> Sounds good, eh?  For something like an extra $600, you can soup up your GS
> to warp speed with a transwarp, and have super graphics with the TurboRez.
> Maybe Apple might even put out the mystical GS+ one of these days.  Nah...
> we'll have to "build our own"....

Well, yes and no.  It sounds good that SOMEONE is doing something to upgrade
the terrible graphics capability of our beloved // but at a cost of $600 (I
assume $400 for the graphics board and $200 for the TW) I would just as soon
go out and purchase a whole Amiga 500 which already has better graphics modes
and is faster with smoother animation than the gs.  Not to mention the fact
that there is already tons of Graphics/Video/Animtion software available for
that machine.  Current GS graphics programs pale in comparison.

> Lynda
>
> UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
> INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

-- Bob
_______________________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (12/25/89)

In article <113300227@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     I seriously doubt Apple would incorporate this board into the IIgs.

I doubt it too, especially considering that Apple Co. has already developed
a graphics card of their own that matches the resolution of the TurboRez.
The Video Overlay Card has 640X400 graphics, even if you don't utilize the
Overlay features.  The bit blitting hardware of the TurboRez WOULD be a nice
feature in the standard GS, however.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

ruzun@pro-sol.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (12/30/89)

>> At $600.00 I would rather go out and but an Amiga 500 which has....
Unfortunately, though I love the // line, this is thge case, the
Amiga stuff is just too good to be ignored.
-Roger

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (01/03/90)

In article <15113.apple.net@pro-sol> ruzun@pro-sol.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:

>>> At $600.00 I would rather go out and but an Amiga 500 which has....
>Unfortunately, though I love the // line, this is thge case, the
>Amiga stuff is just too good to be ignored.

I started to wonder if the newsgroup I am reading is Comp.sys.apple, or
is Comp.sys.amiga????

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 64 Mb RAM, 660 Mb SCSI, NeXT laser |    Chun Yao Liao    |