[comp.sys.apple] Call for Discussion

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (12/07/89)

I like Murph's suggestion for the name of the newsgroup : comp.tech.apple2.
I would like to adopt this name for the newsgroup, it's shorter and to the
point.  Let's here some discussion on it...

As far as the moderation issue, it is a very good point.  Unfortunately,
moderation requires a large investment of time and energy, neither of
which is readily available.

True, there will be non-tech messages posted to the tech group and tech
messages posted to the non-tech group, but hopefully this will be minimal.
I have noticed the comp.sys.amiga and comp.sys.amiga.tech groups manage
to separate their posts for the most part, I think we could do the same
if we tried.

FYI: Providing that everything goes well, I will post a call for votes
on Monday, 12/11/89.  The voting period will end on Monday, 01/08/90.
This will allow 28 days to vote.  The reason that I am holding an extended
vote is to allow an extra week for students, vacationers, and those
who have too much fun on New Year's Eve to get their votes in.  If
everyone is willing, I will hold the vote on the group under the name
comp.tech.apple2, instead of comp.sys.apple2.tech.

Cary Farrier
--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/07/89)

   From: farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 6 Dec 89 19:17:40 GMT

[...]

I think I have to object...  there is precedence set in this matter,
with
comp.sys.mac
comp.sys.mac.hardware
comp.sys.mac.programmer

The USENET is set up in a hierarchy which would be upset with the
creation of comp.tech.apple...  Please is a vote is taken, first
change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and then create
comp.sys.apple2.tech or preferably comp.sys.apple2.programmer (as was
done with the comp.sys.mac groups)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (12/08/89)

In article <PNAKADA.89Dec6161004@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>I think I have to object...  there is precedence set in this matter,
>with
>comp.sys.mac
>comp.sys.mac.hardware
>comp.sys.mac.programmer

	I don't see the precedence here.  What I do see is an over done
	group hierarchy.

>The USENET is set up in a hierarchy which would be upset with the
>creation of comp.tech.apple...  Please is a vote is taken, first
>change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and then create
>comp.sys.apple2.tech or preferably comp.sys.apple2.programmer (as was
>done with the comp.sys.mac groups)

	Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
	not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
	comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/08/89)

   From: farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
   Date: 7 Dec 89 18:21:47 GMT

   In article <PNAKADA.89Dec6161004@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
   >I think I have to object...  there is precedence set in this matter,
   >with
   >comp.sys.mac
   >comp.sys.mac.hardware
   >comp.sys.mac.programmer

	   I don't see the precedence here.  What I do see is an over done
	   group hierarchy.

   >The USENET is set up in a hierarchy which would be upset with the
   >creation of comp.tech.apple...  Please is a vote is taken, first
   >change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and then create
   >comp.sys.apple2.tech or preferably comp.sys.apple2.programmer (as was
   >done with the comp.sys.mac groups)

	   Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
	   not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
	   comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

   --
   +---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
   | Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

Cary,
   I've cross posted this discussion to news.groups.  I'm pretty sure
that discussions like this should involve people from all newsgroups.

I must heartily state that I am all for the creation of a new
technical newsgroup.  I must disagree with you when you call the mac
newgroups, "an overdone group hierarchy."   I would much rather have
an overdone group hierarchy, than none at all.   What you suggest is
grouping the discussion first by its technical nature and then by its
particular hardware platform, while most groups which need additional
focus, add on to the platform grouping.

comp.sys.amiga.tech
rec.autos.tech

The argument could be made that the comp.binaries groups follow your
particular hierarchy, with the platform as the last grouping.  This is
true, but I think that the precedence set by other groups and the fact
that the comp.tech branch does not exist yet is enough reason to go
with comp.sys.apple.tech or comp.sys.apple2.tech

Again, I stress that I wan tthe new group created, but I also want to
try to avoid adding to what many people call the USENET anarchy.

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (12/08/89)

In article <37089@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <PNAKADA.89Dec6161004@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>>I think I have to object...  there is precedence set in this matter,
>>with
>>comp.sys.mac
>>comp.sys.mac.hardware
>>comp.sys.mac.programmer
>>The USENET is set up in a hierarchy which would be upset with the
>>creation of comp.tech.apple...  Please is a vote is taken, first
>>change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and then create
>>comp.sys.apple2.tech or preferably comp.sys.apple2.programmer (as was
>>done with the comp.sys.mac groups)
>	Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
>	not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
>	comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

This has nothing to do with "Macintosh people".
USEnet is an anarchic collection of sites that depends entirely upon
voluntary cooperation with established conventions and procedures in
order to keep from utterly disintegrating into chaos.
The USEnet news group naming scheme has been worked out to permit
reasonable "pattern matching" on groups being subscribed to by
individuals or sites.
comp.sys.SYSTEM_TYPE is the proper newsgroup name for traffic about
computer systems of type SYSTEM_TYPE.  If you don't approve of using
"apple" to designate the Apple II line, then change it to "apple2"
(and perhaps add "apple2gs" for 16-bit specific topics); that fits
the established naming scheme.
If you want to participate in USEnet, it is incumbent on you to
cooperate with the aforemented procedures and conventions.  Your
personal beliefs about how it "should have been done" are irrelevant.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (12/08/89)

   I must agree with Paul Nakada.

   comp.sys.apple2
   comp.sys.apple2.programming

   This way, when a new user does "g comp.sys.apple" from within RN,
he gets both the newsgroups.  And what does it matter if the name is concise?
A person would only need to type the monstrosity once, after that both
notes and rn take it from there.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (12/08/89)

I agree with the growing consensus.  Let's stick to USENET conventions.
Change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and let's add
comp.sys.apple2.tech.

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (12/10/89)

I'd have to agree with those that advocate keeping to the existing scheme of
things as far as group names go.  The length of the name is not a factor, it's
the format that matters in this case.

I'd be in favor of renaming comp.sys.apple -> comp.sys.apple2 and also for
creating comp.sys.apple2.tech, but I'd be against the comp.tech.<whatever>
where <whatever> is a specific computer type.

btw- I don't think the comp.sys.apple2.tech group would gain us a lot, but
it's certainly worth a shot.  I base that on my readings of the comp.sys.amiga
and amiga.tech groups, where most articles are cross-posted to both, which
just increases the density instead of splitting it into more manageable chunks.

Maybe we Apple users could do it better, though.... hope! hope!

-Rich Sims-

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft) (12/11/89)

In article <15801.apple.info-apple@pro-exchange>, rich@pro-exchange.cts.com
(Rich Sims) says:

>btw- I don't think the comp.sys.apple2.tech group would gain us a lot, but
>it's certainly worth a shot.  I base that on my readings of the comp.sys.amiga
>and amiga.tech groups, where most articles are cross-posted to both, which
>just increases the density instead of splitting it into more manageable
>chunks.

I don't see how crossposting really is that big of a problem. Most news
systems/readers only store/forward crossposted articles once and you only have
to see them once. Doesn't really increase volume at all. The only worry
is having to read them at all, and there would still be a substantial
savings there, i.e. not ALL articles would be crossposted.

On Sun, 10 Dec 89 18:06:27 GMT you said:
>In article <15801.apple.info-apple@pro-exchange>, rich@pro-exchange.cts.com
>(Rich Sims) says:
>>...I base that on my readings of the comp.sys.amiga
>>and amiga.tech groups, where most articles are cross-posted to both, which
>>just increases the density...
>
>I don't see how crossposting really is that big of a problem. Most news
>systems/readers only store/forward crossposted articles once and you only have
>to see them once. Doesn't really increase volume at all.

What's true for USENET is NOT true for the rest of the systems the lists
would be cross posted to.  Both Internet and BITNET subscribers WOULD get
duplicates.  My own interest in the proposed tech list is low enough that
I probably won't subscribe to it; certainly I won't if it's an unmoderated
free-for-all.

Members of local user groups probably would appreciate the output of an
organized tech list.  I'm inclined to vote 'no' unless the tech list is
moderated (that doesn't have to mean an edited digest by the way).
There has been some private mail seeking to persuade a likely candidate
(someone who'd read the whole list and answer a substantial number of the
questions anyway) to agree to moderate the traffic (so far, no definate
answer).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/12/89)

If you want a group with a sub name of tech.apple2, then may I humbly suggest
that you try alt.tech.apple2 .  In the alt distribution (which is
traditionally much smaller than comp) you can create any sort of name that you
wish - note that at least one alt group is one of the top five groups in terms
of folks reading (alt.sex).

Oh, and the current two Apple 2 groups are in the top 20 in terms of cost per
user - its costs about 40 cents per message per user per month to post msgs
to usenet... I wish America Online and CIS were so cheap!
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (12/12/89)

In article <3443.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:
>try alt.tech.apple2

NO -- many USEnet sites do not get the alt.* traffic.

On Mon, 11 Dec 89 23:21:30 EST Larry Virden said:
>note that at least one alt group is one of the top five groups in terms
>of folks reading (alt.sex).

Gee is that an ALTernative to sex (comic books?), ALTernate sex (male,
female, other?), or ALTered sex (Kristine Jorgensen & Renee Richards? ;-)

>Oh, and the current two Apple 2 groups are in the top 20 in terms of cost per
>user - its costs about 40 cents per message per user per month to post msgs

Is the the 20 MOST or LEAST expensive per user (lately this list seems to
be reaching for economies of scale -- well 'scale,' i.e., volume, at least)?

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (12/13/89)

                                                    Time : 12-DEC-1989 22:26
> (Rich Sims) says:
> >
> >btw- I don't think the comp.sys.apple2.tech group would gain us a lot, but
> >it's certainly worth a shot.  I base that on my readings of the comp.sys.amig
 Why is it worth a shot?
> >and amiga.tech groups, where most articles are cross-posted to both, which
> >just increases the density instead of splitting it into more manageable
> >chunks.
 It seems to me you are agreeing to the split when you have cause to believe it
 is not a good idea.

> I don't see how crossposting really is that big of a problem. Most news
> systems/readers only store/forward crossposted articles once and you only have
> to see them once. Doesn't really increase volume at all.
 Perhaps this is not a problem for people who read this newsgroup from a
 newsreader, but for folks (like me) who only can get this newsgroup via mail
 it means a great deal of duplication and more mail to sift through. Posting to
 both groups is going to increase my mail volume considerably, or at least that
 is my fear. In order to ease another fear (that of missing something
 important) I will have to subscribe to both groups.

 So just say no to the two groups.

 P.S. From all I read it seems that everyone is leaning toward the split
 (except me). What if it doesn't really work?  What if it causes duplication,
 or some unknown, unforeseen other problem? Can the split be undone?

> is having to read them at all, and there would still be a substantial
> savings there, i.e. not ALL articles would be crossposted.
 But what about all the articles that will be crossposted?
--------
"Keep On Rocking in a Free World"
                                   UNESTJ@uncvx1.bitnet
<Tamara>

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (12/13/89)

In article <37089@apple.Apple.COM>, farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:

> 	Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
> 	not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
> 	comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

Or, to take this to an extreme, since everyone seems to want to do something
about this:

comp.apple2
comp.apple2.tech

Those names are short and descriptive and have a hierarchy also.  Can we please
stop flippin' out over the names already and decide to form the new group?

For what it's worth, I favor a technically oriented Apple II newsfeed, and
I also favor the names I just proposed to keep everyone happy.

If rename comp.sys.apple to comp.apple2, folks will finally stop posting
stuff meant for the Macintosh onto our feed, taking up unnecessary bandwidth,
and those folks whose news software automatically scans feeds by hierarchy
will still be able to read the normal group first and then the tech group.
And, those poor souls who don't like banging on their keyboard won't have
to type "comp.sys.apple2.tech"

andy

--
Andy Nicholas             GEnie, AM-Online: shrinkit
Box 435, Moravian College       CompuServe: 70771,2615

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/13/89)

They may not all get alt, but quite a few do.  And if someone wants a
particular alt, it probably would be no less difficult to get one than to get
one of the normal groups.  My argument is that if you really WANT a group, and
dont care to follow the rules, then it should be done in the alt group.
Otherwise you are bucking the system and in for a rough ride.
--

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (12/14/89)

In article <706@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:

   In article <37089@apple.Apple.COM>, farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:

   > 	Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
   > 	not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
   > 	comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

   Or, to take this to an extreme, since everyone seems to want to do something
   about this:

   comp.apple2
   comp.apple2.tech

   Those names are short and descriptive and have a hierarchy also.  Can we please
   stop flippin' out over the names already and decide to form the new group?

geez..  Why do you need to have such a short newgroup name?  the only
time that you need to type it is when you post a new article?  and
comp.sys.apple is too long??

you haven't really taken it to it's extreme...
the extreme would be

apple2
apple2tech or apple2.tech
(descriptive and hierarchical)

that way we would not be restricted to comp type issues in these
groups..  I think this shows why precedence is important in the
structure of USENET... the net is already cluttered and unorganized;
our adding to this disorder does no one any good.

Perhaps, further postings should be cross posted to news.groups, as I
think that the rules governing newsgroup creation state that
discussion of this type should appear both in comp.sys.apple, and
news.groups.. Cary?  do you want to take the lead?

-Paul Nakada
nakada@oracle.com

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (12/14/89)

>> (Rich Sims) says:
>> btw- I don't think the comp.sys.apple2.tech group would gain us a lot, but
>> it's certainly worth a shot.

> Why is it worth a shot?

Because I'm an "eternal optimist" and I know that it *could* work very well if
we all do our part.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (12/15/89)

In article <PNAKADA.89Dec13131703@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:

>Perhaps, further postings should be cross posted to news.groups, as I
>think that the rules governing newsgroup creation state that
>discussion of this type should appear both in comp.sys.apple, and
>news.groups.. Cary?  do you want to take the lead?

	I recently posted the call for votes for the new group, with
	the name comp.sys.apple2.tech.  As it turns out, the USENET
	gods didn't like creating a new hierarchy :-).  The point
	is, now that the voting has begun, the parameters of the
	group can't change, so the name would be comp.sys.apple2.tech
	if the voters decide they want the group.

>-Paul Nakada
>nakada@oracle.com

Cary Farrier

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |
| Apple II Systems Software Engineering	| UUCP      : apple!farrier       |
| Apple Computer, Inc.			| Fax	    : (408) 974-1704      |
| 20525 Mariani Ave.			| AppleLink : FARRIER             |
| Cupertino, CA 95014			|  or farrier@applelink.apple.com |
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|          I don't speak for Apple Computer, our products do.             |

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (12/15/89)

                                                    Time : 14-DEC-1989 22:55

>    This way, when a new user does "g comp.sys.apple" from within RN,

 Who says all users have access to RN or any news reader. I sure wish I did,
 but alas I DON'T!

 Which makes me wonder what percentage of folks have to use mail to read this
 newsgroup?  Is there any way to record this whilest you take a vote Cary?

--------

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (12/15/89)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>>The USENET is set up in a hierarchy which would be upset with the
>>creation of comp.tech.apple...  Please is a vote is taken, first
>>change comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 and then create
>>comp.sys.apple2.tech or preferably comp.sys.apple2.programmer (as was
>>done with the comp.sys.mac groups)
>
>	Just because the Macintosh people did something one way, does
>	not mean that the Apple II people must follow suit.  The name
>	comp.tech.apple2 is short and concise.

Let the vote decide whether we follow the Mac or Amiga naming, no sense
in arguing.

BUT I agree with Paul: changing comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2 is a simple
decision (I would say a necessity, since many posters think that
comp.binaries.apple2 is the only apple2 group), and it should be voted on as a
separate issue from the more debatable addition and/or naming of any technical
offshoot.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (12/16/89)

From article <11802@smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
> In article <3443.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:
>>try alt.tech.apple2
>
> NO -- many USEnet sites do not get the alt.* traffic.

Second that No.

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (12/19/89)

I take it voting has begun? If so, here's my vote:

comp.sys.apple changed to comp.sys.apple2   YES
creation of comp.sys.apple2.tech            YES

There you have it.
--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (12/24/89)

We currently have a 'Call for Votes' going on for 'comp.sys.apple2.tech',
but still do not have a call for discussion/vote for changing the name of
'comp.sys.apple' to 'comp.sys.apple2'.

This is little bit of 'the cart before the horse' methodology, and needs
to be corrected.

Will the previous 'Call for Discussion' for 'comp.sys.apple2.tech' also
cover 'comp.sys.apple2' so we can go into a vote on the name change as
soon as possible, or will we need to start a new 'Call for Discussion'
time clock running?

P.S. Mail your 'comp.sys.apple2.tech' votes to "farrier@apple.com"

P.S.S Where can one receive an electronic copy of the rules concerning
      'Call for Discussion' and 'Call for Votes'?

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (01/03/90)

In article <1041@friar-taac.UUCP> matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:
>We currently have a 'Call for Votes' going on for 'comp.sys.apple2.tech',
>but still do not have a call for discussion/vote for changing the name of
>'comp.sys.apple' to 'comp.sys.apple2'.
>
>This is little bit of 'the cart before the horse' methodology, and needs
>to be corrected.
>
>Will the previous 'Call for Discussion' for 'comp.sys.apple2.tech' also
>cover 'comp.sys.apple2' so we can go into a vote on the name change as
>soon as possible, or will we need to start a new 'Call for Discussion'
>time clock running?
>

>P.S. Mail your 'comp.sys.apple2.tech' votes to "farrier@apple.com"

	I was wondering when someone would notice this :-).
	Any volunteers to champion this one?  I'm pressed enough
	for time with the 'tech' group.

>P.S.S Where can one receive an electronic copy of the rules concerning
>      'Call for Discussion' and 'Call for Votes'?

	news.announce.newusers (or something along those lines).

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (01/04/90)

<
<	I was wondering when someone would notice this :-).
<	Any volunteers to champion this one?  I'm pressed enough
<	for time with the 'tech' group.

	I will do it.  I will wait a few days to make sure no one else
starts one.  Watch this space...

->Spike
spike@world.std.com  ...!{uunet,bu.edu,xylogics}!world!spike
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps