[comp.sys.apple] OKS Fast-Cache card

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (01/03/90)

	Well, I called OKS yesterday to find out some stuff about the
Fast-Cache card (the hardware cached SCSI card), and according to the person
I spoke with (named Andy), they're not making it. He said that the decision
(which was based on the production cost of the thing) was made somewhere in
November, shortly after the ads were placed.

	I talked to him a bit about the alternatives with the Multi-Cache
card, and this is what I got from him: With 256k RAM, it retails for $294,
and with 1Mb of RAM, it retails for $465. You can buy the thing without any
on-board memory, but you have to install some before you use it, and you have
to specify which model you want (the one that'll take 8 256x1 chips, or the
one that'll take 8 1Mbx1 chips). He said that there's a 10Mhz "upgrade" that
can be ordered (but only through them) when you buy the thing that'll improve
the speed dramatically - I forgot the specs he quoted me on how much faster.
He said that the price for the 10Mhz thingie ranged from $60 to $80, and was
$60 at the moment. The SCSI option is $80 from them. I looked at an ad for
Programs Plus (1-800-832-3201 - the one time I bought something from them,
they were fast & friendly), and they're selling the Multi-Cache for $259 (256k)
and $379 (1Mb), with the SCSI option @ $69.

	Disclaimer: Blah, blah. I don't have any commercial connection with
either OKS or Programs Plus, I'm just distributing the info I got.

--
  Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu is dead)
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Saperstein

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (01/04/90)

In article <1018@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:

>	Well, I called OKS yesterday to find out some stuff about the
>Fast-Cache card (the hardware cached SCSI card), and according to the person
>I spoke with (named Andy), they're not making it. He said that the decision
>(which was based on the production cost of the thing) was made somewhere in
>November, shortly after the ads were placed.

Here's one for the rumor mill.  I heard from someone in my local user's
group that he was talking with someone from OKS (at Applefest I believe)
and he (OKS guy) couldn't say much (proprietary and confidential information),
but hinted around that OKS was working with Apple to get more speed out
of Apple's SCSI interface card.  Possibly Apple is licensing technology
from OKS to include in their SCSI interface card?  Good news if this is true.

Ray
---
Ray Rankins         |(518) 387-7340 (days)| INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.      |(518) 583-3320 (eves)| COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831|                     | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>