[comp.sys.apple] "Floptical" drives..AND A NEW SCSI QUESTION

In article <2408@ttardis.UUCP> rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
>I recently saw an add for a SCSI disk drive called a "Floptical Drive."
>
>Although the add gave the name of a US driver manufacturer as the maker,
>the ad was placed by a distributor located in West Germany.  (I don't
>recall the names of either company; and I didn't purchase that issue of
>whatever magazine it was)
>
>The ad said that it stored 20Meg on a laser etched 3.5 inch floppy disk.
>(removable media; aprox $20 US per diskette)
>
>Does anyone know more about this drive? Perhaps a US based distributor?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>- Ron Wilson

	Well I wrote to this person and hopefully my mail will get through.

	I know I've actually posted the information I have to the net before
but there may be other people who have not seen it... If you haven't
seen the information about this 20 meg "floptical drive" then mail me and
I will send you all of the information that I have...  Plus I called
Insite Technology and Brier Technology, both of San Jose, CA, and will get
new info from them soon.. so I will spread this around too.

	Also I am rehashing a question that EVEN I have asked in different
forms I realize.. But not quite this same question...

	I remember Matt Deatherage said he's seen removable media drives
work on the //GS...  If Matt or anyone else has seen this, WAS IT USING
A STANDARD APPLE SCSI CARD AND THE STANDARD SCSI DRIVER?  I hear from lots
and lots of sources that GS/OS just reads in the info from the SCSI card
ONCE... thus that's why people have to reboot to switch volumes..

	I am virtually positively at least going to try out one of these
drives but I still want a little more reassurance that it CAN work without
a special SCSI driver.

	Again, mail me if you want the info I currently have on these
seemingly WONDERFUL new devices..

--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu    APPLE II FOREVER    APL24VR   GS tips? Mail me.
unknown%darkside.com@ames.arpa   Please use the former address for regular use.