[comp.sys.apple] Call A.P.P.L.E.

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (10/06/89)

Network Comment: to #678 by dale@pro-colony.cts.com

Call Apple no longer provides group sales of hardware, software or books.
And I cannot determine what happened to their public domain software library.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (10/11/89)

When did Call-A.P.P.L.E. go quarterly?  When was their last monthly
publication published?  The last issue I was able to find in the local
B.Dalton bookstore was (I believe) the July issue.  I thought maybe that
the bookstore stopped carrying Call-A.P.P.L.E. or that they were selling out
before I got there (they only used to get about a half dozen copies or
so, so if you didn't get there during the first week they came, they
were usually gone).  I know, I know, I should just subscribe to the
magazine, but $23 is a lot of money when the baby needs a new pair of
shoes (God, those little buggers grow fast!).  What is the current
cost of a subscription?  I've read that the price also includes club
membership.  Is this true?

Thanks for any replies.

Ray Rankins

P.S. - I realize that these questions could probably be answered by a
call to Call-A.P.P.L.E., but I just recently moved and all my back
issues are in a box somewhere...:)

Ray Rankins
INTERNET:	rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
COMPUSERVE:	71131,3236
<insert standard disclaimer here>

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (10/11/89)

From article <8910070449.AA12773@trout.nosc.mil>, by lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden):
> Network Comment: to #678 by dale@pro-colony.cts.com
>
> Call Apple no longer provides group sales of hardware, software or books.
> And I cannot determine what happened to their public domain software library.
> --
> Larry W. Virden

This is not entirely correct.  Tech Alliance (owner of CALL A.P.P.L.E.)
says that it will continue to take orders for items still in stock.  The
future of the public domain s/w library is up in the air, but it looks like
it will go to the sig groups, (ie. IIgs lib. to IIgs sig group.)  If this
is the case, and anyone wants some thing from the library, let me know and
I'll get back to you on how/if you can get it.

Tech Alliance is currently going through some changes.  Partly because of
the "changing world of computing" and partly because of profit losses.  I
believe it will be for the better.  They are moving back to the "core group
of experts interested in getting the most from the machine".  This means a
little smaller (with less extra's) and more good ol' volunteers.

I don't think it is "the beginning of the end", but rather just regrouping.

(note: my only affiliation to Tech Alliance is as a co-op member.)

|   I heard some where IBM stood for "I've Been Mugged"...  |
|  Phil Lindberg	      snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not   |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	    |

l8208@uwav1.u.washington.edu (10/11/89)

In article <3059@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) writes:
> When did Call-A.P.P.L.E. go quarterly?  When was their last monthly
> publication published?  The last issue I was able to find in the local
> B.Dalton bookstore was (I believe) the July issue.  I thought maybe that
July was the last monthly issue of Call-A.P.P.L.E. They are now quarterly.
The Fall issue is out now. Don't know if it has hit the stands or not.
New Subscription price is $30/year and does not include membership in
TechAlliance. They have recently changed their membership policy. One time
sign-up fee of $60 for new members, $40 fee for existing members.
This will get you voting rights in Board of Directors elections.
Call them at (206) 251-5222, to find out more info. TechAlliance is in
a state of transition right now. They need support badly. You should know
that they are trying to recover from the loss of APDA and control their
costs. Mail order operations have ceased, but they still have a good BBS
at (206) 251-0543. The two magazines (Call A.P.P.L.E. & Mac Tech Quarterly)
will continue to be published. Call them if you have any other questions,
or send me e-mail. (I'm their GS sysop on their BBS).
> P.S. - I realize that these questions could probably be answered by a
-=- Walt NelsonA.P.P.L.E., but I just recently moved and all my back
> issues are in a box somewhere...:)
Online America: WaltNelson

> Ray Rankins
> INTERNET:     rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
> COMPUSERVE:   71131,3236
> <insert standard disclaimer here>

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (10/11/89)

Despite the fact that Call A.P.P.L.E. is an excellent publication,
I would suggest that you NOT send any subscription money to them at
this time, as both publications, Call A.P.P.L.E. and Mac Quarterly
are on the selling block, and until we know who will buy them
and what kind of a product they will publish, it is wise to
hang onto your money. The organization is in very bad shape,
they no longer sell anything, only a handful of people attend their
general meetings, they have dropped (or shortly will) their 800
number, and they are stuck paying rent on a place that is much too
big for their scaled back operations. In fact, they no longer
even talk about user group membership in their renewal material,
but rather just a "magazine" subscription...

Oh yes, I know, they did have a booth at Applefest selling
subscriptions, but right while that was going on, they had someone
else (a former official) walking the floor looking for potential
buyers for the magazine s pthey publish...

I would suggest this means hang onto your money until you
learn more.... The magazines appear to be their only current source
of money and efforts, and that is being done away with. What will
be left?

--
bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu     or     bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
bsherman@pro-exchange                  MCI Mail:   BSHERMAN

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (10/12/89)

Network Comment: to #1124 by crdgw1!zaire!rankins@uunet.uu.net

Call-A.P.P.L.E. went quarterly beginning with the July issue. The publishers
discovered that both revenue and reader services could be handled more
efficiently in this fashion. With my column, for instance, I found myself
breaking what was intended as one installment down into three or four monthly
installments. With a quarterly, that's no longer necessary. Columns will run
whole, even if it does take 16 pages (like the one in the upcoming issue).

Also, there has been some discussion here recently to the effect that
Call-A.P.P.L.E. might be going out of business. That is not the case.
TechAlliance will no longer be selling third-party software and hardware, but
that's just because there's no longer a need for it. Mail-order houses are a
dime a dozen. The magazine, bulletin board, and other services you value are
going to keep progressing as always.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (10/12/89)

Network Comment: to #1139 by umigw!ibiza!bsherman@handies.ucar.edu

> I would suggest this means hang onto your money.

Enough already with the obits. Call-A.P.L.L.E. is no longer APDA, but it was
only APDA for a couple of years out of its 10-year history. The only financial
troubles it's suffering are those being suffered by the high-priced
Apple-style executives who no longer have a place in the scheme of things.
They're also the ones making all this noise.

Call-A.P.P.L.E. is plenty healthy for what it is -- no longer a "subsidiary"
of Apple Computer, but rather a technical resource with no peer in the Apple
community. It is entirely safe to send in your money for a subscription. I
never liked having APDA mingled in with things anyway because that sort of
thing tends to cloud a magazine's objectivity.

Check out the current issue of the magazine and see if you don't agree that
it's the most substantial technical journal ever published for the Apple II.
And please give us a rest from the rumor mill. This is all starting to read
like the sports page as the NFL trade deadline approaches.

Joe Abernathy

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (10/12/89)

I Have to agree with you Joe.  It's becoming sort of the NIBBLE for experienced
programmers.   Even at the $10 cover price it's a bargin.  I have always looked
to CALL A.P.P.L.E. to be in the for front of whats new and it's doing it again.

I have only one wish that they would make all that source code available on
Disk not just on CRATE it a long long distance call for me to download.  Mike
Westerfield has in the pas t made code available in GENIE and the Article by
MATT D. at APPLE says SOURCE CODE SAMPLER 2 somthing we can look forward to.

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (10/13/89)

When I got my copy of the first quarterly Call-APPLE, there was an
addendum explaining that no orders for the catalog would be taken
after Sept 31. Being already October when I got the issue, I was
somewhat chagrined. But they mentioned some blurb about competition,
mail order houses, implications that there were other places that had
better prices.

Where are these places? Places I could get Apple //gs manuals for $17
and Orca/M for $35? I have seen nothing like this in the mail-order
houses I see typically in Incider or Nibble....

jeremy mereness
=============   "A car in every pot; a chicken in every garage"
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (10/14/89)

suggest you check a little further Joe. They are trying to dump (sell)
both call A.P.P.L.E. and Mac Quarterly.. and if they do that, what
is left????  a bbs????????

--

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (10/14/89)

In article <0ZBSsl200Xoo8O0Wwa@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:
>When I got my copy of the first quarterly Call-APPLE, there was an
>addendum explaining that no orders for the catalog would be taken
>after Sept 31. [ ... ]

  For that matter, what will happen to the products which have been
sold exclusively through A.P.P.L.E.?  (The PD stuff, as well as all
the neat tools with the manuals whose covers look just like the
magazine used to :-)
  Where will I be able to buy ][+ program development tools???? 1/2 :-)

			Anton

+----------------------------------+------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student)        | rang@cs.wisc.edu |
| University of Wisconsin--Madison |                  |
+----------------------------------+------------------+

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (10/14/89)

Network Comment: to #1034 by jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

I have been unable to get thru to their BBS so I was wondering if you or
anyone else out there knew whether Tech Alliance was going to continue selling
their Call-apple specific books, like All about Applesoft,Pascal, etc.?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
                                CIS:    75046,606

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (10/14/89)

Network Comment: to #1041 by delaneyg%wnre.aecl.cdn@relay.cdnnet.ca

Is there any way that someone here in this newsgroup who either works for
TechAlliance or knows someone who does could check to see if their source code
could be provided to comp.binaries.apple2/apple2-l/the ftp sites?  That would
be GREAT!
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
                                CIS:    75046,606

lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) (10/14/89)

Network Comment: to #1084 by jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

Go ahead and give them a call though.  I did and found that they were still
selling what they had in stock.  I ordered Orca, Orca/C, and that new
programmer doc pack for the GS.  Saved about 50% from list price.

Sure wish I could find some other company selling the doc at the prices
CALL-Apple was!
--

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (10/15/89)

Network Comment: to #1258 by umigw!ibiza!bsherman@handies.ucar.edu

> If they do that (sell), what is left?

A magazine published by someone else, with a carryover subscription list.
Perhaps you will recall a similar recent event in the Apple II world ... :)

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (10/17/89)

In article <0ZBSsl200Xoo8O0Wwa@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>When I got my copy of the first quarterly Call-APPLE, there was an
>addendum explaining that no orders for the catalog would be taken
>after Sept 31. Being already October when I got the issue, I was
>somewhat chagrined. But they mentioned some blurb about competition,
>mail order houses, implications that there were other places that had
>better prices.
>
>Where are these places? Places I could get Apple //gs manuals for $17
>and Orca/M for $35? I have seen nothing like this in the mail-order
>houses I see typically in Incider or Nibble....
>
>jeremy mereness

I agree!  After discovering TechAlliance (local for me, half hour drive)
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I went to Tower Books for a refund on
The IIgs Firmware and Hardware References as well as the ProDOS 8 Tech
Ref.  But, hey, capitolism == competition.  With the money I saved, I was
able to purchase a copy of Lichty's 65C816 book - and I STILL had money
left over.

Now there are a few beta manuals that I want (SCSI, etc.), and APDA's
current pricing on beta manuals is higher than what I used to pay for
hard backs!

If Call A.P.P.L.E. was making enough progit that they actually miss the
business, then why can't Apple settle for the same margins?  I guess the
answer is: "well, we're buyin' 'em".  I refuse to buy any manuals until
the prices become reasonable.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

l8208@uwav1.u.washington.edu (10/18/89)

In article <8910141319.AA04616@trout.nosc.mil>, lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden) writes:

> Is there any way that someone here in this newsgroup who either works for
> TechAlliance or knows someone who does could check to see if their source code
> could be provided to comp.binaries.apple2/apple2-l/the ftp sites?  That would
> be GREAT!
> --

There will be a new online forum for Call -A.P.P.L.E. magazine on American
Online (nee AppleLink PE). This forum will contain a library area of source
code from the magazine. The first online conference is scheduled for next
Monday, October 23rd at 7:00 PM Pacific, 10:00 PM Eastern. Our guest will be
Robert Hess, one of our authors, and he will be discussing beginning
programming on the GS. Hope many of you can make it.

  Walt Nelson
  Call -A.P.P.L.E. forum leader - AO
  AO: WaltNelson

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (10/19/89)

From article <8910141319.AA04604@trout.nosc.mil>, by lvirden@pro-tcc.UUCP (Larry Virden):
> Network Comment: to #1034 by jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com
>
> I have been unable to get thru to their BBS so I was wondering [...]
> --
> Larry W. Virden

The BBS has been having some hdisk problems.  There was a couple of
weekends it was down and some messages were lost.  I have been told it is
back up and fully operational.  The official statement from Tech. Alliance
is that the BBS will stay in operation.

My own experiences with the BBS are that it is very active and has a lot of
very knowledgable people on it.  You may draw your own conclusions from
this as you wish.

B-) Phil

|   I heard some where IBM stood for "I've Been Mugged"...  |
|  Phil Lindberg	      snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not   |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	    |

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (10/19/89)

Does anyone know where in the Albany-Schenectady-Saratoga region I
might find the latest issue of Call-A.P.P.L.E.?  I haven't been able to find
it at my usual location (Waldenbooks at Colonie Center).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd really hate to miss their
new issue and format.

Ray

Ray Rankins                                     (518) 387-7340
INTERNET:   rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com            USNAIL: 2 Moonglow Rd.
COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236                                  Gansevoort, NY 12831

joel@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Joel MALARD) (10/22/89)

Could anyone in your group tell me how i can run IBM software on a MacII?
Any suggestion would be most wellcome.

Joel Malard.
INET:	joel@cs.mcgill.ca

On Sat, 21 Oct 89 20:45:28 GMT you said:
>Could anyone in your group tell me how i can run IBM software on a MacII?
>Any suggestion would be most wellcome.

There are both hardware (from AST I believe) and pure SOFTWARE solutions
(XT emulation for Mac).  You're more likely to get a precise answer from
info-mac@sumex-aim.Stanford.Edu than from an Apple 2 list :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (12/11/89)

Has anyone heard anything on the state of health (or lack thereof) of
Call A.P.P.L.E. Magazine??

Is it true they have called in the Medical Examiner to determine cause of
death??

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (12/12/89)

Yes, CAll-APPLE is no more.  This winter issue is the last I am sad to say. :(

-Brian
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil
INET: orcus@pro-lep.cts.com

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/12/89)

/* Written 12:46 am  Dec 11, 1989 by bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */
/* ---------- "Call A.P.P.L.E." ---------- */
Has anyone heard anything on the state of health (or lack thereof) of
Call A.P.P.L.E. Magazine??

Is it true they have called in the Medical Examiner to determine cause of
death??

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */

I know that they switched to a quarterly format a while back.  Then they quit
selling programming stuff; they couldn't handle the overhead.  I finally gave up
on them--all they talked about anymore was the GS.  Mind you, the IIGS is a
great machine, and I'd like to get one someday, but I have to live in the
present with my IIe.  There was almost nothing in Call-A.P.P.L.E. that I could
use, so I killed my subscription.  Ditto for my APDA membership (too Macintosh-
oriented).  We've probably just witnessed what happens when a company forgets to
mind its customers.  Not everybody has all the whizbang technostuff because not
everybody can afford it.  When you start to fuck with these people, they're
going to get up and leave.  Hasta la vista.  That's it!

| Scott Alfter                          | A keyboard--how quaint!             |
| Internet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  |                                     |
|            free0066@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  |                    -- M. Scott      |

                           Apple IIe

                                /|
                              _ |/_
                             / \// \
                            /      /
                           |      |     The power to
                           |       \    be your best
                            \      /
                             \_/\_/

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/13/89)

is that an official statement from TechAlliance - or are you passing along
rumors?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
                                CIS:    75046,606

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/15/89)

autumn 89 issue is certainly robust. Looking forward to the winter issue, only
1 store sells them up north so I've no idea when they'll arrive. D'ya think
it'll relapse into a coma in the new year?

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (12/17/89)

Yes, it was official.  I heard it DIRECTLY from the Editor (ex-editor) Kathryn
Suther.  Call-APPLE is gone.  Winter issue is the last issue.  Sorry.

-Brian
_____

JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") (12/19/89)

> Yes, it was official.  I heard it DIRECTLY from the Editor (ex-editor) Kathryn
> Suther.  Call-APPLE is gone.  Winter issue is the last issue.  Sorry.
                                                                                                                                          |__ is or was?

Has everyone else gotten their copy of the Winter issue?  The last
issue I have is the Autumn one.  I just wanted to check to see if
mine was missing or if I should continue to wait for it.  I mourn the
loss of Call -A.P.P.L.E.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (12/19/89)

In article <8912181901.AA29829@alw.nih.gov> JDA@CU.NIH.GOV ("Doug Ashbrook") writes:
>> Yes, it was official.  I heard it DIRECTLY from the Editor (ex-editor) Kathryn
>> Suther.  Call-APPLE is gone.  Winter issue is the last issue.  Sorry.
>                                                                                                                                          |__ is or was?
>
>Has everyone else gotten their copy of the Winter issue?  The last
>issue I have is the Autumn one.  I just wanted to check to see if
>mine was missing or if I should continue to wait for it.  I mourn the
>loss of Call -A.P.P.L.E.

>J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
>BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
>INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892
>
>-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
>JUST SAY NO!

  How is it that all of the good magazines are going and the poor ones are
being left behind.  First A+ went and now Call APPLE is gone?  It really
SUCKS!

  At least we still have A2-Central and Nibble (and my two year subscription
to A+...er...InCider)

       Collin Douglas

       cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (12/20/89)

The demise of Call A.P.P.L.E. is incredibly depressing.   Now the Apple II
world is left with Incider and Nibble, and A2.Central.  There is nothing left
even remotely resembling Call A.P.P.L.E.

I can't help but place some of the blame on Apple Computer.  Taking away APDA
from TechAlliance was the catalyst that did them in.  Sure, they may have had
some management problems, but with things fairly uncertain in the II world; I
don't feel this move on Apple's part was very smart.

I would really like to see Apple support the magazine so it could continue, or
perhaps take over publishing it themselves (but then I'm dreaming).  Its
disappearance only hurts them in the end.  One more nail in the coffin....

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec19.053958.19143@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broadrick Douglas) writes:
>  How is it that all of the good magazines are going and the poor ones are
>being left behind.  First A+ went and now Call APPLE is gone?  It really
>SUCKS!

  And Softalk...together with Call-A.P.P.L.E., my all-time favorite
computer magazine.  Sigh.  I'm being left all alone with my nostalgia.

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (12/20/89)

Ah, but you left out one.. ][ at Work (last issue 75,000 press run) is still
around for the Apple II world, as is Road Apple, although that one is a
little offbeat..

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (12/22/89)

Hey Bob... <Merry Christmas!>

I still have a Volume One Number One of ROM Computer Applications for Living
in MINT condition from July =1977= with all info postcards still attached
inside.... (Geez... this is showing BOTH our ages.. <grin>)

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

In article <23628@gryphon.COM> lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>I can't help but place some of the blame on Apple Computer.

You could try a little harder.  :)
>  Taking away APDA
>from TechAlliance was the catalyst that did them in.  Sure, they may have had
>some management problems, but with things fairly uncertain in the II world; I
>don't feel this move on Apple's part was very smart.

First of all, I've seen no official announcement from TechAlliance that the
magazine is discontinued, so the rest of this is based on the assumption that
this is true.

If Call -A.P.P.L.E. goes under, it's not because "Apple took APDA away from
them."  It's because the magazine didn't support itself.  Take a look at the
last issue, in which I have the lead article.  Do you honestly think there's
enough advertising in there to pay for that issue?  Magazines don't live
on subscriptions alone, and Call -A.P.P.L.E's advertising space has shrunk
by the issue.  Why this is is anyone's guess - it could be the prices were
too high, or it could be the advertisers didn't think their ad money was
doing any good.

>I would really like to see Apple support the magazine so it could continue, or
>perhaps take over publishing it themselves (but then I'm dreaming).  Its
>disappearance only hurts them in the end.  One more nail in the coffin....

If you want to look at the list of Apple employees who've published articles
about the Apple II (technical articles), more of them have been in Call
-A.P.P.L.E. than in any other publication.  Pre-released sample source code
was cleared for publication there.  Apple gives bonuses for publishing in such
magazines.  Nearly half the people at the CA author's breakfast at May
AppleFest were Apple employees.

It's not Apple's business to buy up all available advertising space in every
magazine that has something to do with our computers.  That's the only kind
of "support" Apple did not give that Call -A.P.P.L.E. could have used.

If there is a moral here, and I don't know if there is or not, I would guess
that when you like something on the Apple II side, be sure to patronize the
people responsible.  If you like Call -A.P.P.L.E., buy the products of the
advertisers, and tell them you read about it in Call -A.P.P.L.E.  If your
favorite games aren't available for the IIgs, write them and tell them you
want to see them.  Just because someone else posted to the net that they don't
intend to do it doesn't mean they shouldn't hear from everyone who wants it.
Don't look for an E-mail address; use those printers and spend the quarter on
the stamp.  A sheaf of letters always looks more impressive than a directory
of text files.

Support those you like and they'll probably be there to like for a lot longer.

>Lynda
>
>UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
>INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (12/23/89)

Speaking of lost loved ones, how about "Apple Assembly Lines", one of
the best.  BTW, I like Nibble much better than other Apple mags,
because if the better programming articles, especially with assembly
listings.

--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (01/04/90)

From article <2849@skivs.UUCP>, by dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins):
> Speaking of lost loved ones, how about "Apple Assembly Lines", one of
> the best.  BTW, I like Nibble much better than other Apple mags,

If you still have issues of Call A.P.P.L.E. coming, they will come as
Nibble instead.

|If my IIgs 'll just hold out for a few more months 'til GS+...|
| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546       Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (01/05/90)

I understand that Call A.P.P.L.E. has left us....
but that they managed to get a Winter issue out before it happened.

Where can I get this Winter issue??????

|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Disclaimer:            |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|a student at Carnegie Mellon U.  |               |  Void where prohibited.|