[comp.sys.apple] A Clock for Apple //c

alf@clinet.FI (Aapo Puskala) (01/01/90)

What is the best clock for Apple //c ? Which is the most flexible and
cost efficient ? What clock cards do you use ? Are there any major
differences ? Incompatibilities ?
--
Aapo "Alf" Puskala, Hanikka 11a, 02360 Espoo, Finland
Telephone (voice): +358 0 886 632	Telephone (data): +358 0 886 514

ACS_BLOOM@uwrf.BITNET ("Harlan...") (01/02/90)

>What is the best clock for Apple //c ? Which is the most flexible and
>cost efficient ? What clock cards do you use ? Are there any major
>differences ? Incompatibilities ?
I use a CLOCKPRO from Apricorn.  It is a chip that installs
under the CPU chip under the keyboard.  I cost about $55 US a year or so ago.
It is very reliable and has only two major limitations.  First, you have
to patch ProDOS to make it work; the patch comes with it.  Second, when you
put the chip in, you CAN'T tighten the keyboard down all the way again because
the keyboard bends and the key stick.

I hope this helps.

                                Harlan...
                                Begin...End.
                                ACS_BLOOM@UWRF.bitnet

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (01/03/90)

In article <9001020004.AA16460@apple.com>, ACS_BLOOM@uwrf.BITNET ("Harlan...") writes:
->What is the best clock for Apple //c ? Which is the most flexible and
->cost efficient ? What clock cards do you use ? Are there any major
->differences ? Incompatibilities ?
-I use a CLOCKPRO from Apricorn.  It is a chip that installs
-under the CPU chip under the keyboard.  I cost about $55 US a year or so ago.
-It is very reliable and has only two major limitations.  First, you have
-to patch ProDOS to make it work; the patch comes with it.  Second, when you
-put the chip in, you CAN'T tighten the keyboard down all the way again because
-the keyboard bends and the key stick.
-
There's another product called "No Slot Clock."  It goes under a ROM/EPROM chip.
I used to use one in a //e.  I've since upgraded to a IIgs.

BTW: There are differt versions of the No Slot Clock software; make sure that
you ask for the Apple ProDOS software when you order it.

(You'll have to look around in the various magazines.)

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (01/03/90)

|I use a CLOCKPRO from Apricorn.  It is a chip that installs
|under the CPU chip under the keyboard.  I cost about $55 US a year or so ago.
|It is very reliable and has only two major limitations.  First, you have
|to patch ProDOS to make it work; the patch comes with it.  Second, when you
|put the chip in, you CAN'T tighten the keyboard down all the way again because
|the keyboard bends and the key stick.

Well I sorta have a question along those lines.  I run a BBS under GBBS 'Pro'
V1.3m... At the turn of the year my board started reading the clock as the
following...  01/02/8:  I am using a SMT no-slot.  Anybody out there who runs
gbbs and has had the same problem???

barak@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mark Litscher) (01/04/90)

In article <2002@psuhcx.psu.edu> llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) writes:
>Well I sorta have a question along those lines.  I run a BBS under GBBS 'Pro'
>V1.3m... At the turn of the year my board started reading the clock as the
>following...  01/02/8:  I am using a SMT no-slot.  Anybody out there who runs
>gbbs and has had the same problem???

The strange date (01/02/8:) has nothing to do with the SMT clock.  It has to
do with the way that GBBS was written to use the clock (any clock).  In GBBS
the decade (80's) is hard coded, and it was not able to handle the change in
decade.  THere are several patches that will fix this (up to 1995 I think).
If you cant find one send me some mail and I will mail a copy of it to you.

Later

Mark Litscher
barak@lakesys.UUCP

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (01/04/90)

Laura...
=IF= you are a REGISTERED owner of the copy of GBBS Pro you referred to in
your message you can obtain a program update (version 2.0; which fixes the
CLOCK as well as a few other problems and offers a few enhancements too) by
calling the Support BBS (L&L Productions 303-420-3568) and downloading it.
There is also a new and improved SMT driver included.
Or, you can my BBS, the RainForest (305-434-4927) for further information.

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (01/05/90)

In article <2002@psuhcx.psu.edu> llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) writes:
}Well I sorta have a question along those lines.  I run a BBS under GBBS 'Pro'
}V1.3m... At the turn of the year my board started reading the clock as the
}following...  01/02/8:  I am using a SMT no-slot.  Anybody out there who runs
}gbbs and has had the same problem???

I don't know about the GBBS, but try patching your version of ProDOS with the
SmartWatch clock driver I posted to 'comp.binaries.apple2' last month.  If its
the SMT clock driver thats causing the problem, that should correct it.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"