[comp.sys.apple] partitions

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/21/89)

Does GSOS have the same limit of 32Meg and Prodos8? I'm using 5.0.2 if that
matters.

Also any suggestions for partitioning software for a 100Meg drive? I need a
partition for a PC transporter as well as porodos and gsos.

thanx all.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (01/03/90)

In article <8780.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>Does GSOS have the same limit of 32Meg and Prodos8? I'm using 5.0.2 if that
>matters.

	The 32Mb volume size is a limitation of ProDOS, and is also
	a limitation of the ProDOS FST under GS/OS.  GS/OS is not
	limited to 32Mb, however.  The High Sierra/ISO 9660 FST
	can read up to 699Mb.

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (01/04/90)

In article <37566@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:

>	The 32Mb volume size is a limitation of ProDOS, and is also
>	a limitation of the ProDOS FST under GS/OS.  GS/OS is not
>	limited to 32Mb, however.  The High Sierra/ISO 9660 FST
>	can read up to 699Mb.

Well then, could someone format a 100M drive in the High Sierra/ISO 9660 format
and use the entire drive as a single volume?  Or does the HS/ISO FST assume
that all such drives are read-only.  It would be nice if the FST queried the
drive to see if it is writable, and then a normal hard disk could be used with
this format.

I wouldn't mind it if a custom format program were needed to create the volume,
as long as writes could be supported to a formatted volume on a writable drive.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (01/05/90)

In article <10141@microsoft.UUCP> brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) writes:
>Well then, could someone format a 100M drive in the High Sierra/ISO 9660 format
>and use the entire drive as a single volume?  Or does the HS/ISO FST assume
>that all such drives are read-only.  It would be nice if the FST queried the
>drive to see if it is writable, and then a normal hard disk could be used with
>this format.

	The HS/ISO FST is still read only, even when the media is writable.
	The reason for this is that the HS/ISO file systems were designed
	for reading.  Many of the data structures on the disks would be
	hard to update dynamically, but it could be done.