[comp.sys.apple] Loading DAs

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (12/31/89)

Does anybody know of a utilitie/desk accsesory that will load DAs under system
5.0 ? Both carpet bag and Instal DA don't work properly with the new system.

        Nathan Srebro
        Haifa, Israel

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (01/01/90)

In article <8912310807.AA27876@apple.com> MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET
(Uri Srebro) writes:
>Does anybody know of a utilitie/desk accsesory that will load DAs under system
>5.0 ? Both carpet bag and Instal DA don't work properly with the new system.

	Well, there's my APW shell utility "DALoad" that's worked for quite a
while now, but other than that... A friend was working on a DA loader NDA
(well, actually it does something else, but that's a secret ;), and it loads
CDAs just fine, but it has problems loading NDAs. According to him, the
InstallNDA() (part of Apple's toolbox) is buggy as of System 5.0. He poked
through the code, and told me that if the system busy flag is non-zero, the
Desk Mgr leaves the handle locked, and can't properly prepend the stuff that
it needs (to keep track of the NDA internally). I tend to believe him, because
1) The code (which I've seen) is basically the same as DALoad's, but it
operates under a different environment, 2) It works under earlier versions of
the system disk (and he's not doing anything nasty/illegal), and 3) Like I
said, it works with CDAs, and the code is quite similar. Besides, he's not an
excuse-oriented guy...

p.s. Matt: He said that he was going to talk to his development group's Apple
rep, so please don't flame me... :)

--
  Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu is dead)
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Saperstein

p.s. I lost my .mailrc file - where are you Jawaid?

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (01/03/90)

Would DAInstal work with ECP 16 ? In the last few days I tried checking Instal
DA and Carpet bag with several DAs. Instal DA seems to instal CDAs properly but
 sometimes crashes when loading NDAs, in other times the Apple menu is messed u
p, but if I exit back to the finder the DA is loaded (this never works with Wri
teIt!, for some reason). Carpet bag allways messes up th apple menu. Sometimes
it does load the DA, and some times it doesn't. It allso crashed several times.

                              Nathan Srebro
                              Haifa, Israel

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (01/05/90)

In <9001022124.AA06767@apple.com> MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) writes:
>Would DAInstal work with ECP 16 ? [Deleted mention of other da loaders]

	I'm not sure if DALoad will work with ECP 16 - If Orca/C (or APW C -
I can't remember which it's written in) can handle parsing with ECP 16's shell
identifier, then it should work just fine. Seeing as there've been a few
requests, I'll post the source & executeable as soon as I get around to it.