[comp.sys.apple] MS-DOS and Apple 3.5 Drive

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (01/07/90)

>... they CANNOT read 720K IBM diks.  You require an FDHD on a Mac...
>
>Mike

Sorry Mike, but the drive _CAN_ read the 720K MS-DOS formatted "disks" (ok,
maybe not the diks).  It is the controller that has trouble with it.  I use my
Apple 3.5 Drive hooked up to a TransDrive off of my PCTransporter all the
time!  Works great for me, and I can shuttle the disks back and forth to
work.

For now, the PCT is the easiest option for accessing files on a MS-DOS
3.5" disk.  When and if Apple decides to upgrade the IIgs to use a SWIM
chip and a 1.44MB drive, then a better solution will be available.

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com