[comp.sys.apple] pro-beagle

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/05/89)

I recently called the order desk asking for Power Print. They refused to sell
it, saying that it would be posted to pro-beagle soon. Is there any word on
when that may be?

I really appreciate the beagle people giving away their unsupported products.
These are still useful for beginning and intermediate programmers alike. The
you can't beat the price!!!

jamesh@pro-colony.cts.com (James Howell) (01/09/90)

        I applaud Beagle Bros. for releasing their old software freely,
unfortunately, it is to the demise of their customer support BBS, pro-beagle.
I have programmed apple II computers since 1979 and have supported Beagle
Bros. since their inception, PURCHASING many, many of their products.  I have
used my account on pro-beagle to keep updated on their products and also to
voice questions/concerns.  Alas, since the Beagle Oldies have been released, I
have had a hard time getting on to the system.  This would not seem a problem
as their is only light activity on their system and I would feel comfortable
blinking messages every 3-4 weeks.  But, last month I had trouble getting on
the system at all and when added to a two week Christmas vacation, my account
had expired.  Furthermore, you can no longer register for an account.  They do
have a generic login for the conferencing area, but that means you retain no
pointers to your current messages and have to go through a zillion messages to
find out what is current.  You also cannot turn off -MORE- and thus, blinking
is out of the question.  Since I had no access to msg, I posted my concerns in
their chatter conference and asked to either have my account restored or be
allowed to re-register.  I left three contacts, both voice and data.  Not only
did BB not respond, but they simply deleted my message.  No response in the
conference, no response by e-mail, and no response by phone.  I have been
impressed over the years by BB support, but maybe as they start to grow and
reach into other (read Mac) markets, they are doing what other companies (can
you say Apple) have done and forget about their long standing customers.

The reason for my posting here is primarily a FLAME, but also in hopes that
someone (Mark Munz?) from beagle will respond.  Mark De Jong certainly didn't
want to respond.

FLAME OFF

                                James W. Howell

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.COM (Mark Munz) (01/11/90)

> Problems with pro-beagle

First, let me begin by saying that Pro-line (which is the system
pro-beagle uses) has a limit of users. Mark de Jong is looking into
possible solutions to this problem.

Second, we are also looking at alternative methods for distributing
the Beagle Oldies.. this should ease the problems with pro-beagle
being so busy.

Finally, just because we have expanded our horizons (and are entering the
Macintosh market) does NOT mean we are giving up on the Apple II.
In fact, we've still got some pretty big plans for the Apple II. Note
that in the next few months, you should see 3-5 new products released
for the Apple II.

'Nuff Said.

Mark Munz

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (01/11/90)

While I can't comment on the specific policies of any ProLine site other than
my own, two of the points you raised are completely invalid.

You obviously have an account on another ProLine site (pro-colony) since you
sent your message from there.  That means you have access to the mailer (msg)
on that site, which gives you the same capabilities as the mail system on
pro-beagle.  It's entirely possible that your message wasn't even seen by Mark
De Jong, and even if it were, since you were obviously logged in under a
"guest" account, it was *IMPOSSIBLE* for him to reply to you on pro-beagle
except in a public message.

As to your complaint about not being able to turn "-- More --" off, that's
pretty trivial, but also incorrect.  I suggest you look at the command menu on
the site you do have access to to find out what options are available to you
and how they're invoked.

Questions/complaints about a company's policies may possibly be appropriate in
this group -- specific problems caused by lack of understanding  of how the
ProLine software works would probably be better directed to the site operator
of the site you have access to, than to a world-wide net.  Try 'root', sysop'
or 'dale', there at Pro-Colony.

-Rich Sims-