[comp.sys.apple] UUCP for the GS...

shubbell@pnet02.gryphon.com (Steve Hubbell) (01/07/90)

About a month ago, I recall a small discussion regarding porting UUCP over to
the GS and even all of Unix.  If anyone has attempted or is in the midst of
attempting to port UUCP over to the GS, I would like to discuss a few things
about it and would appreciate it if you would drop me some mail.  Thanks!

Steve Hubbell - Manhattan Beach, CA
Co-Founder and President Zephyr Technologies

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!shubbell
INET: shubbell@pnet02.gryphon.com

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (01/08/90)

In article <24393@gryphon.COM> shubbell@pnet02.gryphon.com (Steve Hubbell) writes:
>About a month ago, I recall a small discussion regarding porting UUCP over to
>the GS and even all of Unix.  If anyone has attempted or is in the midst of
>attempting to port UUCP over to the GS, I would like to discuss a few things
>about it and would appreciate it if you would drop me some mail.  Thanks!

I read a posting the other day about a Mac version of Minix, a UNIX clone
that is system call compatible with v7 of UNIX.  It was written by
Andrew Tannenbaum and is published in a book he wrote about operating
systems.  The IBM version has it's own disk format and drivers.  I sent
mail to Dr. Tannenbaum asking if I could get the Mac source to port to the
IIgs.  He wrote back saying that the Mac version was written on top of
the operating system and required about 1 meg.  Most of Minix is in C.
The only assembly language parts are the interrupt routines to switch
processes.

When I find out about getting the source, I'll post more info.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (01/11/90)

Rick, you may have to wait a while for this since the folks are still
negotiating with the publish to make the software available.  But I would
think that we should be able to get most of the utilities to compile under
Orca/C or APW C without a lot of trouble.  The main problem will be getting a
c compiler which will produce code in the format expect by the OS.

P.S. I dont remember reading much about Minix using unique disk formats on
the IBM or Atari ST (or Amiga)... but then, I tend to move past those msgs
when they appear.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (01/11/90)

In article <4179.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc>, lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:

>Rick, you may have to wait a while for this since the folks are still
>negotiating with the publish to make the software available.  But I would
>think that we should be able to get most of the utilities to compile under
>Orca/C or APW C without a lot of trouble.  The main problem will be getting a
>c compiler which will produce code in the format expect by the OS.
>
>P.S. I dont remember reading much about Minix using unique disk formats on
>the IBM or Atari ST (or Amiga)... but then, I tend to move past those msgs
>when they appear.
>--
>Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
>674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
>Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
>                                CIS:    75046,606
You over look something: the GS's existing progam loader could be use by an
alternative OS running on the GS - just provide  the basic ProDOS system
calls for the loader to call - infact, this would allow the existing
compilers to be used to compile programs to run under "GS-MINIX."

If I may point out, GS/OS is still "just a disk manager" (more or less) -
therefore, imposing an alternitive OS on the GS could be as little as removing
the none disk portions of GS/OS and putting in the new OS using the native
disk management.  Of course, under a multitasking OS, it would be difficult
to use the GS toolsets.....