[comp.sys.apple] APW file to TXT converter

pyue@uwovax.uwo.ca (01/07/90)

A slight problem...

Recently I ftp'ed a program from husc6.harvard.edu that converts an APW
file into a TXT file.  After de-Binscii-ing and unshrinking the file, I
managed to get it to run, but the 80-column display is really messed up
(printing every other column, running over the right edge, etc.)  Does
anyone know what types of Apples it runs on, or what versions of ProDOS?
I am using a 1983 Apple ||e (unenhanced) with the Apple Extended 80-cols.
I have posted the program into comp.binary.apple to make tests possible.

Paul K. Yue
Operator, University of Western Ontario		(519) 661-3525
Computing and Communications Services		PYUE@UWOVAX.BITNET
Natural Sciences Centre
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario N6A 5B7 Canada

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (01/10/90)

>Recently I ftp'ed a program from husc6.harvard.edu that converts an APW
>file into a TXT file...but the 80-column display is really messed up
>(printing every other column, running over the right edge, etc.)  Does
>anyone know what types of Apples it runs on, or what versions of ProDOS?
>I am using a 1983 Apple ||e (unenhanced) with the Apple Extended 80-cols.
>I have posted the program into comp.binary.apple to make tests possible.
>
>Paul K. Yue
>PYUE@UWOVAX.BITNET

I downloaded the file and it ran fine on my IIgs (ProDOS 8 v1.8).  Also,
I remember seeing the program run on a IIc successfully (thanks, Paul!)
The program does use MouseText characters, so maybe that causes a problem
on your unenhanced //e.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

oneil@zeus.unl.edu (01/12/90)

In article <1187@husc6.harvard.edu>, huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) writes:
>>Recently I ftp'ed a program from husc6.harvard.edu that converts an APW
>>file into a TXT file...but the 80-column display is really messed up
>>(printing every other column, running over the right edge, etc.)  Does
>>anyone know what types of Apples it runs on, or what versions of ProDOS?
>>I am using a 1983 Apple ||e (unenhanced) with the Apple Extended 80-cols.
>>I have posted the program into comp.binary.apple to make tests possible.
>>
>>Paul K. Yue
>>PYUE@UWOVAX.BITNE

  I don't know if this is of any help or consolation, but I do a lot of
conversion of files in the other direction and have the same problem:
especially with the files running over the right edge.  I spend some time
editing, but it certainly is time-consuming.

--
 Sharon Lindsey O'Neil              | Internet: oneil@zeus.unl.edu