[comp.sys.apple] Mac SE Screen Problem

TEB106@PSUVM.BITNET (01/11/90)

Recently we received a MAC SE computer.  It worked fine for about 5 months and
now it won't display anything on the screen.  When it is turned on, it sounds
one bell and then displays a white screen with bold horizontal lines that are
close together at the top and then further apart as you get closer to the
bottom of the screen.  If you have any advice on something to try, please let
me know.
                                          Thanks in advance,

                                          Tom Billet (TEB106)

laba-4ad@web-2a.berkeley.edu (Joseph Teo) (01/12/90)

In article <90010.140727TEB106@PSUVM.BITNET> TEB106@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Recently we received a MAC SE computer.  It worked fine for about 5 months and
>now it won't display anything on the screen.  When it is turned on, it sounds
>one bell and then displays a white screen with bold horizontal lines that are
>close together at the top and then further apart as you get closer to the
>bottom of the screen.  If you have any advice on something to try, please let
>me know.
>                                          Thanks in advance,
>
>                                          Tom Billet (TEB106)

U seem to have a hardware problem here... I experienced some problems while
adding RAM to my SE/30... So what I'd do in this situation is

          GET THE TECHNICIAN!

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure of your problem... U could try booting the
system off floppy, checking all connections to your comp, open up the case
and see if all internal connections (SIMMs, video, speaker, disk drives etc)
are secure. There are noted problems with Mac Plus power supplies, but there
doesn't seem to be any with the SE's.

Last but not least, since this is a Mac problem, it should go to the Mac
column.

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/12/90)

     One more vote for renaming this file comp.sys.apple2...:-)
     As far as your problem, I would assume that it's a hardware problem.
I don't think there's a "print wierd horiz. lines on bootup" function in
most Macs, so either the monitor connection came loose, or the actual mother-
board blew something.
     This coming from a II user, so don't trust me too much.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/12/90)

In the future, you may want to keep Mac-related things on comp.sys.mac.
The powers-that-be might also want to rename comp.sys.apple so the Mac
users don't accidentally fall in here.

| Scott Alfter                          | A keyboard--how quaint!             |
| Internet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  |                                     |
|            free0066@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  |                    -- M. Scott      |

                           Apple IIe
                                /|