[comp.sys.apple] LaserWriter Font Mapping?

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (12/23/89)

I am having some trouble with using LaserWriter Plus fonts from my
Apple IIGS.   I have copies of screen fonts for all of them; they were
posted to the binaries group about a month ago.   Unfortunately, When
I print to the laserwriter, It does not always give me the font I
want.

I have read Tech note 67 and I think I understand it.  It says to name
the fonts with the names the LaserWriter expects so that the printer
driver can properly guess the extensions for bold, italic....

One font I cannot get to work is New Century Schoolbook.  This is
because the name the Laser wants to see: NewCenturySchlbk is longer
than a ProDOS file name is allowed to be.   Is there any way around
this?

Thanks,

Seymour

In article <Dec.22.14.42.29.1989.28902@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>I am having some trouble with using LaserWriter Plus fonts from my
>Apple IIGS.   I have copies of screen fonts for all of them; they were
>posted to the binaries group about a month ago.   Unfortunately, When
>I print to the laserwriter, It does not always give me the font I
>want.

I guess I've waited long enough to try this one... :)

>I have read Tech note 67 and I think I understand it.  It says to name
>the fonts with the names the LaserWriter expects so that the printer
>driver can properly guess the extensions for bold, italic....
>
>One font I cannot get to work is New Century Schoolbook.  This is
>because the name the Laser wants to see: NewCenturySchlbk is longer
>than a ProDOS file name is allowed to be.   Is there any way around
>this?

You seem to be suffering from (more or less) two misconceptions.

1)  The font name that the LaserWriter driver examines is not the name of the
$C8 font file, but rather the font family name (the Pascal string at the
beginning of the font file).  It is to this name that the suffixes in TN #67
are added when querying the printer for a PostScript font.  If the font family
name does not match the one the driver will generate (for example, if the
italic version is "Font-Oblique" instead of "Font-Italic"), the LW driver will
send a bitmap version of the font.

2)  ProDOS file names have even less to do with it because the current LW
driver does not download PostScript fonts to the printer.  The font must already
be resident from some other network source (usually a Macintosh).

>Thanks,
>
>Seymour

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."