[comp.sys.apple] Q: Merlin to APW

BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET (01/09/90)

I would like to know if any freeware, shareware, or commercial software
exists that will convert Merlin 8 source files, into APW source files.
Eventually, I want to then convert the APW to MPW.  But MPW comes with
tools to perform that task, so that's not a real problem.

Does anyone else use MPW to create executable for the // (non GS) series?

Please reply to me directly, or via the list.

                --Scott Bresnahan
                  BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (01/10/90)

In article <9001090900.aa24721@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET writes:
>I would like to know if any freeware, shareware, or commercial software
>exists that will convert Merlin 8 source files, into APW source files.
>Eventually, I want to then convert the APW to MPW.  But MPW comes with
>tools to perform that task, so that's not a real problem.

Byte Works has a Merlin to ORCA/M source code translator that would probably
work.  According to the APDAlog, it converts "more than 95 percent" or
Merlin stuff, including macros, directives, etc.  $30, which includes the
source code for the translator.

>                --Scott Bresnahan
>                  BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET

Henry

---
Henry Throop
Internet: throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/10/90)

I can see why you'd want to go from Merlin to APW; I switched from Big Mac
to the MicroSPARC (now MindCraft) Assembler some time ago.  What eludes me,
though, is the logic in cross-assembly, which is what you wish to do when you
go from APW to MPW.

| Scott Alfter                          | A keyboard--how quaint!             |
| Internet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  |                                     |
|            free0066@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  |                    -- M. Scott      |

                           Apple IIe

                                /|
                              _ |/_
                             / \// \
                            /      /
                           |      |     The power to
                           |       \    be your best
                            \      /
                             \_/\_/

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (01/12/90)

In article <113300235@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I can see why you'd want to go from Merlin to APW; I switched from Big Mac
>to the MicroSPARC (now MindCraft) Assembler some time ago.  What eludes me,
>though, is the logic in cross-assembly, which is what you wish to do when you
>go from APW to MPW.

	Apparently you've never worked on a huge project... Although the APW
assembler is pretty nice, and pretty quick, I doubt that it could beat
something running on a Mac ][ci. Also, I'd be willing to bet that there are
more support tools for MPW. Lastly, think about a software house that does
stuff for the Mac & the //gs - if they put large amounts of money into their
Macs (for Mac development), then they can use that power for //gs development,
rather than spending a bunch more money for a //gs development system.

	Btw, I discovered the APW assembler's limitations while working on an
11,000+ line assembly project - it took awhile to remake it, and this is with
a fairly large amount of RAM & a HD.

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Saperstein

crash@pro-colony.cts.com (John Stephen III) (01/13/90)

The ByteWorks has a utility available that will do a conversion from Merlin 8
to APW.  The ByteWorks is the company that originally wrote much of APW (which
they sell under their own name as the ORCA/M development system) and their
address should be available in either Nibble or A+.

John Stephen
Dallas, TX

  nnnnn   |
 / . . \  |  UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-simasd!
(|  u  |) |                               !pro-colony!crash
 \ \_/ /  |  ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-simasd!pro-colony!crash@nosc.mil
  \   /   |  ProLine: crash@pro-colony