[comp.sys.apple] DISK II

JONATHAN@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU (01/07/90)

I have a friend with an old DISK II 5.25" disk drive.  The disk drive
claims that all disks inserted are copy protected.  I have checked the sensor
and it does not appear to be the problem.  I tried both opening and closing
the circuit with and without the switch in the circuit.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem or what
the problem may be?

Thank you,

Jonathan Gelfand

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (01/10/90)

In article <F9E2DD08F5DF00202F@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu> JONATHAN@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU writes:
>I have a friend with an old DISK II 5.25" disk drive.  The disk drive
>claims that all disks inserted are copy protected.  I have checked the sensor
>and it does not appear to be the problem.  I tried both opening and closing
>the circuit with and without the switch in the circuit.

Do you mean it says disks are WRITE PROTECTED?
Copy protection is another bunch of trouble entirely.

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (01/13/90)

Jonathan Gelfand asks about a Disk II that insists that all disks are write
protected.

Some Disk II clones use photoelectric sensors instead of mechanical (micro)
switches. I have a Quentin Disk II clone which had a bad infared LED which
caused it to think that all disks were protected.  A replacement LED came from
Radio Shack for about $4. If the drive has a mechanical switch, it can be
tested with an ohmeter. According to the schematic for the Disk II analogue
board (which appears on page 146 of the DOS manual), the Write Protect signal
comes from phase 1 from the disk controller (generated by the 9334/74LS259 on
the Disk Controller card -- probably okay) and ends up going through one part
of the 74LS125 on the analogue board -- probably the the problem.  Why not
take a logic probe to pin 2 of the 74LS125. If opening and closing the write
protect switch causes this to go up and down, then check pin 3 of the 74LS125.
If pin 3 is following pin 2, then your cable is bad. If pin 3 is not following
pin 2, then the 74LS125 is bad.  If pin 3 is not following the switch (and the
switch is okay), then I'd suspect the cable or the 9334/74LS259. Howzdat?

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com