[comp.sys.apple] Apple II Plus help

laba-4ad@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Joseph Teo) (01/10/90)

Are their any means of turning an ancient II Plus with Videoterm and
128K Saturn RAM card into a VT100 terminal with Kermit transfer?

I've tried programs like ASCII Express Pro and Kermit but with a lot
of problems hooking up to an IBM 308x mainframe. I managed to get the
log on screen but couldn't find the correct key to press on the
keyboard.

On Wed, 10 Jan 90 01:11:07 GMT you said:
>Are their any means of turning an ancient II Plus with Videoterm and
>128K Saturn RAM card into a VT100 terminal with Kermit transfer?
>
>I've tried programs like ASCII Express Pro and Kermit but with a lot
>of problems hooking up to an IBM 308x mainframe. I managed to get the
>log on screen but couldn't find the correct key to press on the
>keyboard.

The file APPLE.DOC available from KERMSRV@CUVMA contains the mapping for
the VT100 keypad to Apple ][+  I use a //e which uses the open-apple
function key, I haven't got the APPLE.DOC file handy, but you may have
to use the 'fire' button on a joystick to access some of the functions.

If you all use the Yale ASCII system to interface a VT100 with an IBM 308x,
you'll be able to accomplish just about every function with ESC followed by
an appropriate keystroke (PA2 = ESC + period for example).  See the VT100
layout documentation supplied with Yale ASCII (your computer center staff
should have a copy) for the sequences you need.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (01/14/90)

Joseph Teo asks if he can turn a II+/Videoterm combo into a VT100 terminal.

There is a shareware or freeware program called Dcom VT100 emulator. I believe
it works on a II+.  I know it is available from the LOGIC Apple Users' Group
in Canada for around $6, but you have to be a member to buy disks.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com