[comp.sys.apple] Software updates

jib@prism.UUCP (12/10/87)

Upgrades to software are usually available if you call the software
publisher directly.  I recently bought a new IIGS to replace my ancient
II+ and I was many version out of date on several programs (because the
newer versions only ran on IIe, etc.)  I called the following companies:

Hayes (Smartcom I) -- new GS version 2.0 $25, plus send orig disk (call
first)

Broderbund (Print Shop) Upgrade to GS version $20, plus send orig disk
back.

Monogram (Dollars and Sense) $39.95 for upgrade to current NON-protected
version (must give old serial number).

Styleware -- I just bought version 2.1 of Multiscribe GS -- I called with
a question and they said it was fixed in version 3.0 being shipped in late
december.  Since I bought the product after 10/31/87, they said they would
send a FREE update to 3.0 if I sent them a copy of my receipt proving when
I bought it.

By the way, although I was registered with each of these companies, I
never received update notices.  However, I have moved several times in the
last few years and bulk-rate mail is NOT forwarded by the post office.
(Neither is first class mail after a year).  It is worthwhile to notify
the software publishers when you move, but even better to call if you hear
of a new version.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore") (01/07/90)

Am I the only one that doesen't get notified about updates?  I hear about
the updates to software, like Copy II+, but don't get anything from the
company.  Another one is Roger Wagner publishing......I just found out taht
they updates softswitch to have 9 workspaces.  Am I a minority, or are most
of you out there getting the same 'treatment'?

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (01/07/90)

In article <9001062358.AA12132@apple.com> <TSEMM%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:
>Am I the only one that doesen't get notified about updates?

I get update notices from Roger Wagner, ByteWorks, Central Point Software,
and even some of the mass-market companies such as Activision (under
whatever name they now have).

Of course you need to have sent them your warranty registration card..

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (01/08/90)

I've purchased and registered CopyII+ twice. Sometimes I get an upgrade
notice and sometimes I don't. For instance, I got one when 7.0 came out
but not when 9.0 came out. It's not really any problem for me but it is
a little curious in the "computer age".:-)
Bob Church
att!oucsace!bchurch

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (01/08/90)

Even though I send in all the cards I can find in packages, the only folks
that
I have ever heard from has been Byte works.  I have never heard from Apple,
Roger Wagner, Manx, Broderbun, Activision, etc.  Oh, I used to hear
occasionally from the folks who made Promal until they decided that the Apple
II wasnt important enough to support.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (01/09/90)

From article <9001062358.AA12132@apple.com>, by TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore"):
> Am I the only one that doesen't get notified about updates?  I hear about
> the updates to software, like Copy II+, but don't get anything from the
> company.  Another one is Roger Wagner publishing......I just found out that
> they updated softswitch to have 9 workspaces.  Am I a minority, or are most
> of you out there getting the same 'treatment'?

I guess so.  I got a notice in the mail on both the Copy II+ update and the
SoftSwitch update.  Maybe it's because you live in some far away place where
the US Postal Service doesn't go to, (like Alaska or somethin'  ;)

Phil

|If my IIgs 'll just hold out for a few more months 'til GS+...|
| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546       Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (01/09/90)

The dewindling support becomes more and more evident.  The latest magazine to
give up on the APPLE II line is Computer Shopper.  Gone are Don Lancaster's
column ask the Guru.  This should, I suppose be no supprise, after the Editors
comments about the developers conferance in Kansas City a few month's ago.
One wonders if it's not all hard feelings over dropping A+ or maybe it's why
A+ went he was Editor of it as well.  It shows you what happens when Big
companys take over organizations.  If it doesn't make BIG profits or income
out the door it goes.

Apple may head the same way if we are not careful.  In Canada a week before
Christmas they fired all their Marketing Staff as sales of Apples and Macs
were not up to expectations.

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (01/10/90)

In article <305*delaneyg@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") writes:
>The dewindling support becomes more and more evident.  The latest magazine to
>give up on the APPLE II line is Computer Shopper.  Gone are Don Lancaster's

Really makes you wonder what's going on.  Especially when Computer
Shopper has sections devoted to real dinosaurs like the TRS-80 and
Timex Sinclair.  Maybe there is a conspiracy in the computer to
blackball or get rid of Apple, possibly in reaction to there
look-and-feel lawsuits?  Apple II computers must be in the top five
for number in use (I would expect number they are #3 behind Mac and
IBM, correct me if I'm wrong) but one would assume from the lack of
industry support for it that it had already gone the route of the
Commodore Pet and died.

Ray
---

Ray Rankins         |(518) 387-7340 (days)| INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.      |(518) 583-3320 (eves)| COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831|                     | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (01/11/90)

What were the comments concerning the developers conference?  I have not
heard any negative comments concerning it.
--

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (01/15/90)

From article <9001062358.AA12132@apple.com>, by TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore"):
> Am I the only one that doesen't get notified about updates?  I hear about
> the updates to software, like Copy II+, but don't get anything from the
> company.  Another one is Roger Wagner publishing......I just found out that
> they updated softswitch to have 9 workspaces.  Am I a minority, or are most
> of you out there getting the same 'treatment'?

I think they notify people of the first upgrade and stop after that unless
the person purchases the upgrade.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (01/15/90)

From article <6695@wpi.wpi.edu>, by greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender):

> Am I the only one that doesen't get notified about updates?

I find it useful to call from time to time the publishers of my
favorite products and ask what is going on. Many times you learn
that there is an upgrade available, however, they sometimes tell
me that if I wait a month or so there is another in the works.

Randy Brandt has expressed the view several times that bugs that
you never encounter aren't bugs at all i.e., often the bug is in
some weird feature of the product or perhaps for a hardware
configuration you don't own.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IH 2A-227 (708) 979-9527