[comp.sys.apple] 5.25 floppy disk formats

ATKINSON@RUBY.VCU.EDU (Stage Struck) (12/01/89)

Query: Has the following ever been discussed?

I like 3.5 diskettes, but even with 3rd party, its awlfully expensive
to start up. My idea was for a controller to read/write the
DDDS 5.25 360/720k diskettes.  I tend to like a disk per subject, and
the 720k is about the length of my subjects ( and attention span).

Is such a beast available? If not, why? And if this discussion has
already happened, what dates so I can try to get them out of the archives?

Luther
Atkinson@vcuvax for bitnet
Atkinson@ruby.vcu.edu for internet.

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/02/89)

/* Written  1:31 pm  Nov 30, 1989 by ATKINSON@RUBY.VCU.EDU in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */
/* ---------- "5.25 floppy disk formats" ---------- */

Query: Has the following ever been discussed?

I like 3.5 diskettes, but even with 3rd party, its awlfully expensive
to start up. My idea was for a controller to read/write the
DDDS 5.25 360/720k diskettes.  I tend to like a disk per subject, and
the 720k is about the length of my subjects ( and attention span).

Is such a beast available? If not, why? And if this discussion has
already happened, what dates so I can try to get them out of the archives?

Luther
Atkinson@vcuvax for bitnet
Atkinson@ruby.vcu.edu for internet.
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */

A while back (early 1986 or so), there was a product called EquiDisk Plus.  It
was made by a company called (I think) HM Enterpises.  I'll check my back
issues of Nibble and get back with you ASAP on that.

Anyway, the EquiDisk Plus was a dual-5.25" drive unit.  I imagine it used
DSDD drives with a special controller to deliver 737K on an ordinary 5.25"
disk.  Chances are the 3.5" drives put out by Apple (and, later, by other
companies) drove the EquiDisk off the market.  I don't have one, but they
had an excellent idea.  The cheapest I've seen 3.5" disks is $0.99 each.  I
can get 5.25" disks for $.21 each.  5.25" is much more economical.

Now that the EquiDisk is no longer with us, what you're talking about is
probably an even better idea.  Existing Apple drives (Disk 5.25, DuoDisk,
maybe even the venerable Disk II) probably could handle double density,
at least.  You could only go up to 560K this way (280K per side), but
anything's an improvement, right?  Of course, this controller would also have
to be compatible with the existing 5.25" 140K format.

! Scott Alfter                        !      Keep the Chief--Dump Simon      !
!                                     !--------------------------------------!
! Thisnet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu ! Note that my Bitnet address will     !
! Thatnet:  free0066@uiucvme.bitnet   ! change, effective 20 Dec 89.  If you !
!           (until 20 Dec 89; after   ! want to be sure to avoid trouble,    !
!            20 Dec, send mail to     ! use my Internet address:             !
!            free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet) ! saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu            !

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (12/03/89)

>...had an excellent idea.  The cheapest I've seen 3.5" disks is $0.99 each.
>I can get 5.25" disks for $.21 each.  5.25" is much more economical.

I can get them for you at a local dealer (I forget the name right now) for
about $.69 each in lots of 50.  If you're interested in getting some, set me
E-mail and I can try to get some to you, if you're willing to pay the mailing
costs.

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

I don't work for this company. I hope I'm not violating any rules of the net
by this post.  If so, please tell me.

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/03/89)

     The best I've seen is $0.49 for 3.5"s and $0.19 for 5.25"s.  This is
in bulk, of course.
     I don't see how paying 2.5 times more for over 5 times more storage
isn't economical.  3.5"s are also a heck of a lot faster.  This is in Apple
storage terms.  As far as MSDOS types go, you need high density disks (high)
for 1.2 meg 5.25"s.  They tend towards the expensive.  To get 1.44 meg on
a 3.5", you only need to buy the normal $0.49 3.5" and punch a whole in
a certain spot.  Double density, through all my uses, have given identical
"track records" to expensive HD 3.5"s on MSDOS machines.
     Of course, 3.5" drives are a bit more expensive, but...

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

UD182050@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Mike Aos) (12/06/89)

Sorry, I didn't wanna include the whole message.  They were debating
yet another disk format.  Hi-density 5.25's....YUCK!  Anyway, someone mentioned
the cheapest price for 3.5" disks they saw was $.99.  Our Users Group sells
them for $.69, and I assume they purchase them for less....

Mike

BTW-I heard third-party 3.5" drives were selling for $169.  I paid $299 for my
Apple 5.25".  Go with the 3.5"!

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/06/89)

I can't see the disk II working at double density, the heads are too big. you
can write to track $23 so use that for extra storage. Hey, one track is better
than none!!! BTW the $.21 disks are not rated for 720K, they are only
guaranteed up 360k. They can be formatted to 720 or even 1.44M, but I wouldn't
put anything you'd want to keep on them.                 ^^^^^ sorry 1.2M
Go for the 3.5", physically stronger higher density and supported by Apple.

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (12/18/89)

I think the problem with getting a 5.25 running double density would be more
than just the heads being too big. You'd have to double the clock rate, and then the
bit cells would be too small (especially at the outer edge of the disk where
the rotational velocity is the greatest).  Of course, it might be an
interesting hardware experiment with a IBM drive and a modified Disk II
controller to see if you could get it working on high density disks.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (12/22/89)

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

>I think the problem with getting a 5.25 running double density would be more
>than just the heads being too big.

To clarify, its not the size of the heads that is too big - it is the width
of the magnetic pattern written by a signle density head that is the problem.
Does anyone know if you could simply replace the head (saving the money needed
to purchase a complete DD drive) to get double density capabilities?

Modifying the Disk ][ card would also be a big headache.  The clock rate would
probably need to be doubled (this is what they do in the IWM for 3.5" drives).
Or perhaps you could just build your own Disk ][ controller with a surplus IWM
chip from Sun Remarketing, and use its proven design.

The easiest solution (except price) is to buy a SCSI floppy which can handle
both IBM and Apple formats and hook this pricey baby up to an Apple ][ SCSI
Card.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (12/23/89)

In article <8520.infoapple.net@pro-generic>, sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

> I think the problem with getting a 5.25 running double density would be more
> than just the heads being too big. You'd have to double the clock rate, and then the
> bit cells would be too small (especially at the outer edge of the disk where
> the rotational velocity is the greatest).

As it turns out, the bit cell sizes on single-density and double-density
diskettes are the same!  They use different encoding methods to store
the bits, however.  Single-density diskettes use an encoding method called
FM (Frequency Modulation) that stores a clock bit and a data bit.  The
clock bit it always present when data are stored (but not always in
headers) and the presence or absence of the data bit signifies a 1 or 0.

Double-density drives typically store their data in a format called MFM
(Modified FM) and stores clock bits only in the absence of data bits,
relying on the phase of the bits to distinguish them.

There is a second double-density format called MMFM (Modified MFM) that
appears to have some advantages over MFM as far as simplifying timing
requirements, but I have yet to see any drive controllers that advertise
this feature.  I know that it is not a standard format.

Apple's Disk ][ controller, as I understand it, encodes bits in neither
FM nor MFM formats.  Further, the encoding algorithm is burned into a
PROM on the controller, and is not easily changed.

Here are some references for further information:

Worth and Lechner
Beneath Apple DOS
1981, Quality Software

Worth and Lechner
Beneath Apple ProDOS
1984, Quality Software

SA800/801 Diskette Storage Drive Theory of Operations
1977, Shugart Associates

--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | If you must describe both quantity and
paul@Atherton.COM                  | quality of someone else's code, try

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (01/01/90)

In article <8520.infoapple.net@pro-generic>, sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

>I think the problem with getting a 5.25 running double density would be more
>than just the heads being too big. You'd have to double the clock rate, and then the
>bit cells would be too small (especially at the outer edge of the disk where
>the rotational velocity is the greatest).  Of course, it might be an
>interesting hardware experiment with a IBM drive and a modified Disk II
>controller to see if you could get it working on high density disks.

The Apple Disk ][ is a "standard" mechanism with a "proprietary" circuit
board.  In theory, a Disk ][ circuit board could be connected to a high
density mechanism, provided the new mechanism's head and stepper connections
are compatable.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (01/09/90)

In article <15682@athertn.Atherton.COM> paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) writes:
>Here are some references for further information:
>
>SA800/801 Diskette Storage Drive Theory of Operations
>1977, Shugart Associates
>
>--
>Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | If you must describe both quantity and
>paul@Atherton.COM                  | quality of someone else's code, try
>{decwrl,pyramid,sun}!athertn!paul  | "awful lot."

Shugart is my least favorite company in all of creation.  Someone gave me a 5
meg hard drive fore free, and I was wondering how to connect it to my
Apple if I chose to.  I called the company and asked.  The technical service
person was the RUDEST I've ever dealt with in my life.  They didn't have the
manual for the drive I had, and the man continually got RUDER and RUDER!!

The best he could do was offer to SELL me the manual for an 8 inch floppy
drive that supposedly had similar power connections, he wanted $50 for it!

I took the 5 meg drive, talked to a friend of mine, and gave it to him.
Sometime this summer when he's teaching computer science to the 8 year
olds in his class he's going to bring it in and let the class disassemble it.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (01/10/90)

[lots of stuff on FM and MFM disk data encoding methods deleted]
Whatever you say about Apple's proprietary encoding technique, you have got to
admit it's pretty good. Consider that you get 140K per side, or 280K per
double-sided disk in single density. That's not too bad in comparison to IBM's
360K /disk double-density.

sb@pro-generic

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (01/11/90)

In article <9060.infoapple.net@pro-generic>, sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

>[lots of stuff on FM and MFM disk data encoding methods deleted]
>Whatever you say about Apple's proprietary encoding technique, you have got to
>admit it's pretty good. Consider that you get 140K per side, or 280K per
>double-sided disk in single density. That's not too bad in comparison to IBM's
>360K /disk double-density.
>
>sb@pro-generic

Apple did not use a proprietary format per se.  The data encoding technique
Steve Wozniak used was around long before he designed and built the Disk ][
prototype (I don't remember where it was originally developped).

As it happens, the Commadore 1541 disk drive (and some of the other Commadore
disk drives) also use the same encoding technique (I know this because I
once analysed a 1541 formatted disk on my Apple //e with a Disk ][ - actually,
I could only read the inner most tracks of the diskette: the 1541 rotates
the diskette at a constant LINEAR velocity; where as the Disk ][ spins the
disk at a constant angular velicity - this allows the 1541 to store even more
data than the Disk ][ because it can put 22 sectors per track on the outermost
tracks)

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (01/15/90)

Ron Wilson points out that Commodore used a similar storage format to Apple's,
but by using a different number of sectors on each track, managed to get more
data onto a disk.  My point which prompted this was a bit blurred.  I claimed
that 140K per side, or 280K per double-sided single-density disk was pretty
good in comparison to IBM's 360K DS DD disks.  Perhaps, I should have qualified
this a bit further: Apple's storage capacity is darn good, considering the
simplicity of the circuitry and the high data transfer rate.. something that the
Commodore 1541 fails miserably on both accounts.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) (01/16/90)

Speaking of Disk drives...i was curious to a couple of things about apples
3.5" disk drives.....

1- why does the regular Mac 800k 3.5 has Two write protect switches, which
   the HDFD (high desity floppy drive) has a second for detecting a HD disk.

2- what IS the differnce between a 800k 3.5 and a HD 3.5 drive byt apple ,
   just roms? drive head or a lot of the above??

Thrashing Rage (mitch@RBDC)

"...its the end of the world...and my Universal Disk controller is fried..."

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (01/17/90)

In article <973@rbdc.UUCP> mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) writes:
>Speaking of Disk drives...i was curious to a couple of things about apples
>3.5" disk drives.....
>
>1- why does the regular Mac 800k 3.5 has Two write protect switches, which
>   the HDFD (high desity floppy drive) has a second for detecting a HD disk.

High Density (HD) disks have just one write protect tab, which is in
the same place as it is on a regular 800K floppy.  The "extra" hole on
a high density 3.5" floppy is detected by high density drives.
Without the hole, the HDFD will just assume that the disk is a normal
double density floppy.

Apparently, in many brands of 3.5" disk there is little or no
difference in the actual magnetic media used in double and high
density disks.  There are tools that allow you to punch in the hole
without getting destructive plastic shrapnel inside the disk.  More
daring types can melt a hole into the disk with a soldering iron.
Boom!  Instant high density disk!  You should run some tests on the
born-again disk to make sure it can handle life in the fast lane.

>2- what IS the differnce between a 800k 3.5 and a HD 3.5 drive byt apple ,
>   just roms? drive head or a lot of the above??

I'm not too sure of the hardware particulars, but it involves
different drive electronics and finer heads to handle the increased
data density.  The stepper motor might be of a finer resolution, so
the heads can step to tracks that are much closer together.  I have a
sneaking suspicion that most 3.5" drive mechanisms today can
read/write high density, if the control hardware was designed for it.

These are guesses!  Guesses!  Guesses!
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu