[comp.sys.apple] twgs

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (01/13/89)

Speaking of vaporware, or long-awaited products just hitting the street,
has anything been heard from the AE Transwarp GS recently?

suem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Sue McKinnell) (01/13/89)

> has anything been heard from the AE Transwarp GS recently?

I talked to AE yesterday.  We can "realistically" expect TWGS
availability around the middle of February.  And if you've
heard the rumor that it will require *2* slots, that is *not*
true.  It requires one of 3 *or* 4.  I have no idea why one of
those two slots is required, but the board is non-interfering
with the standard function of the slot, anyway.
--
Sue McKinnell    ...!att!ihlpf!suem	IH 6N311      x5313
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (01/14/89)

The Transwarp GS is no myth.  AE now says about two to three weeks,
assuming that nothing nasty happened since the last time I talk to them
a week ago.  They said the product is very stable, and should be everything
everyone expects it to be.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

jordan%lvvm6.span@SDS.SDSC.EDU (RICH) (01/14/89)

>Speaking of vaporware, or long-awaited products just hitting the street,
>has anything been heard from the AE Transwarp GS recently?

Last I heard from the AE rep on GEnie, they are still aiming at shipping on the
first week or two of February. Take this for what its worth (but my order is
in... :-)

							Rich
<jordan%lvva.span@sds.sdsc.edu>
BIX:	richjordan (Rarely there)
GEnie:	BARRACUDA

rick.glisson@pro-nebulous.UUCP (Rick Glisson) (04/25/89)

Yes, I got one of the first of two in the Atlanta Area. GREAT!  Finally the gs
is faster than my //e/Transwarp.  AWgs is actually usable.  Normal text AW 2.1
works VERY fast.  Installation is a little tricky, you HAVE to use slot 3.
(The ads said 4 would also work).  Make SURE that the plug that fits in the
CPU socket MUST be sitted firmly (One guy broke a pin).  I had to sit it 4
times before it would boot properly.  Just got the checkerboard.  The only
problem I have is that I can't make it run at 1.0 MHz!  Normally that wouldn't
mcept for time dependant games, ie Bards Tale, Border Zone.  AE is
checking it out, but I told them they had better be caught up on back orders
before mine gets anywhere near Texas!
Thanks for answering Jason, your address is something else!  Good thing it's
easy to reply!

-Rick Glisson, Atlanta

Rick.Glisson@Pro-Nebulous  CI$: 71540,110  ALPE: Rick Gliss  BIX: JGLISSON

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (04/26/89)

In article <8904250856.AA00697@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-avalon!pro-nebulous!rick.glisson@nosc.mil writes:
> [Bits about speed of TWgs]
> Installation is a little tricky, you HAVE to use slot 3.
>(The ads said 4 would also work).  Make SURE that the plug that fits in the
>CPU socket MUST be sitted firmly (One guy broke a pin).  I had to sit it 4
>times before it would boot properly.
	Hmm, I didn't have any problems installing mine - the worst part was
yanking the 65816, as it was very firmly seated, and the motherboard was
bending up when I tried to pull it. This morning, though, I got the "There's
something wrong with your TWgs" message, which scared the hell out of me, as
it was one day old, and I didn't remember how the 65816 went back in. I opened
my //gs up, and the cable which runs from the card to the CPU socket was a
bit loose.
>problem I have is that I can't make it run at 1.0 MHz!  Normally that wouldn't
>mcept for time dependant games, ie Bards Tale, Border Zone.  AE is
>checking it out, but I told them they had better be caught up on back orders
>before mine gets anywhere near Texas!
	Yeah, really, I'm still hearing that places are quoting 4-6 weeks for
delivery.
>Thanks for answering Jason, your address is something else!  Good thing it's
>easy to reply!
	You mean me? (I don't think I've seen any other Jasons running around
on the net) My address is fairly simple, but if it got expanded into bang
paths (wherever!otherplace!etc) then it could be kinda scary looking...
Anyways, doesn't matter much...

	I haven't gotten around to testing the speed much, but it looks as if
it's effectively twice as fast as a normal //gs - MicroEMACS is actually
useable now (yip!!!), and the APW linker moves along somewhat respectably
now. The Finder is useful now! Only problem I've run into so far is that the
menus items blink way too fast - it would seem that the system software folks
at Apple screwed up a wee bit with this one by not using TickCount() (or
whatever it's called) to restrain the menu blinking (somewhat understandable).
It'd be nice if they'd do just that before they release the next System Disk.
I haven't yet used APW's editor, as I've gotten out of the habit of using it,
but I imagine it'd be a reasonable speed now (no more snoring while it
scrolls). ShrinkIt FLYS! (It was fast before, it's insane now) I'm still being
suprised by things being as fast as they are... One thing it doesn't speed
up as much as I would've liked is the boot time - especially since quite a
bit of the time GS/OS spent booting was not accessing the disk (I've got a
ST277N HD), but it did cut some of the time off. Aztec C looks like it might
just be tolerable now (gasp).
>-Rick Glisson, Atlanta
>Rick.Glisson@Pro-Nebulous  CI$: 71540,110  ALPE: Rick Gliss  BIX: JGLISSON

		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."

neilhncc1701d@pro-cyon.UUCP (Neil Haldar) (07/04/89)

Boyd-
    TranswarpGS is currently being shipped with a 6.25 Mhz processor. This is
because AE's source for 7 Mhz processors dried up. So, to suffice, you get a
coupon that allows you to upgrade later to the 7 Mhz cpu. Myself, I've heard
that AE will soon (?) have a place to get 10 Mhz cpu's at, so I'm waiting for
that.
    There's been a little talk about faster 65816s. I believe that there is a
10 Mhz model and a prototype 12.5 Mhz model, but both suffer from poor math
computation, resulting in crashing programs (or so I've heard).
    As to comparing a 25 Mhz 386 to a 6.25 Mhz 65816, Mhz is not the factor.
It is in the number of cycles it takes to execute instructions. For instance,
the 386 may need 7 cycles to execute a certain instruction. Where as a 65816
will need only need 2 cycles to do the same instruction. That means that the
65816 is faster at performing certain instructions that the 386. The Mhz only
means 'millions of cycles per second'.

    If you've been listening to an MS-DOS guy, don't anymore!! Listen instead
to info-apple or any of the info groups for Apple machines. After a few days,
you'll know who the programming gurus are, and any questions you might have
can just be posted to the net.
  GEnie: N.HALDAR
  UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d
  ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d@nosc.mil
  INET: neilhncc1701d@pro-cyon.cts.com
"Only human arrogance would assume the message must be meant for man."
                                              - Mr. Spock, Star Trek IV

tomm@pro-sol.cts.com (Tom Monroe) (07/09/89)

I was thinking of getting a Tranwarp GS. Does anyone know if it is being
shipped with a 7MH chip. And is it really worth getting.. I am going to pay
$327.00 Plus shipping and Insur..
Just would like to get some input. I hear there are other chips on the way but
I have been out of the II sean for awhile...

Tomm....

mmunz@pro-sol.cts.com (Mark Munz) (07/11/89)

Network Comment: to #8712 by pnet01!crash!pro-sol.cts.com!tomm

>From what I've seen, the TWGS is kind of expensive, but worth it. I've
seen several TWGS's in action and am currently waiting for one to arrive
for my computer.

girardin@acsu.buffalo.edu (anthony c girardin) (01/18/90)

since i just got my twgs, could someone please e-mail me information about
bringing the twgs up to 10mz. (as far as i can remember it was a fairly
easy process - i hope i'm right!)

thanks in advance,

anthony c girardin

ps. it took system disk 5.0 and the twgs, but i finally impressed my
mac-owner housemate!