[comp.sys.apple] Getting Tech Notes

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/10/89)

Several people have asked me how to get tech notes from Apple.  I don't know
how FTP works on an IBM mainframe since the one I have access to doesn't
support FTP, so I will have to assume that you are using a UNIX machine.

From the shell type

     ftp apple.com

and press RETURN.  After a few seconds, Apple's machine will prompt you for a
login and a password.  Enter "anonymous" for the login and your login (e.g.,
"saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu") for the password.

Next, enter

     cd /pub/dts/aii/tn
     dir

This gives you a list of categories of tech notes available, abbreviated to 4
letters.  Most of them are fairly mnemonic.  The command

     mget ---/* ~/*

where "---" is the desired category, will dump all tech notes from that
category into your home directory.  Alternatively,

     mget * ~/*

should get every Apple II tech note ever published.  If your home directory
doesn't have the space (mine is only 150K), put the name of a bigger one before
the second "*."

When you're done, enter

     quit

to get out of Apple's computer.  That's it!  Now you can do whatever you want
with your tech notes--print them, download them to your Apple, whatever.  (I
originally downloaded them to a Macintosh for printing because my IIe didn't
have a modem.  You can print the notes on whatever you like, as long as it can
print 80 columns across.)

! Scott Alfter                          ! A keyboard--how quaint!             !
!                                        !                                     !
! Internet:  saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  !                    -- M. Scott      !

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (12/25/89)

> Where can I get an Index of all the Tech Notes published by
> Developer support. This could alleviate many potential questions
> on my part.

Try starting at one of the FTP sites that has Apple stuff.  These
include Apple.Com (where they write the notes), and Husc4.Harvard.Edu &
my own Him1.cc.umich.edu.  I always call the file TN.!INDEX

Other sites are have different, but recognizable naming schemes.

    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
    U of M Apple User's Group                  Bo's national championship
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        chances, and my Apple ][gs.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (01/17/90)

>> Where can I get an Index of all the Tech Notes published by
>> Developer support.
>
>Try starting at one of the FTP sites that has Apple stuff.  These
>include Apple.Com (where they write the notes), and Husc4.Harvard.Edu &
>my own Him1.cc.umich.edu.  I always call the file TN.!INDEX
>
>    Todd A. Bakal

Actually, the proper address for Harvard is husc6.harvard.edu, not husc4.
The Technical Notes there haven't been updated recently, but they will
be by the end of January.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (01/18/90)

In article <1273@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:

>Actually, the proper address for Harvard is husc6.harvard.edu, not husc4.
>The Technical Notes there haven't been updated recently, but they will
>be by the end of January.

Just have to upload the January notes.  Expect to see them after this
weekend if not sooner, as they are converted to ASCII.  Sorry about the
delay.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_