[comp.sys.apple] GS music player

jfath@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/13/90)

Is there source code available for a PD player that will play a file saved
from any of the popular GS music programs?  Any commercial or PD composition
program format is fine as long as it will handle at least 2 voices.
Alternately, can someone give me a pointer to some code that uses the note
sequencer?
             Jerry Fath
             ??????????

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (01/13/90)

I have never heard of source code being available.  But I have heard that
there is something called JukeBox that would play Music Studio pieces. There
was source I believe for a NDA which played files of a certain format - the
author was Guy Rice I seem to remember and the program was probably called
Background Music NDA or something to that effect.  Then there are programs
like SoundStudio which play certain types of sound files and programs like
ACER which deal with the compressed sound files.  I have just recently heard
of an awesome program called SongSmith which supposedly does quite a nice job
of allowing music creation and playing.  What other non-commercial sound and
music programs do folks know of?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

dholmes@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Holmes) (01/15/90)

In article <4284.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc>, lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:

> I have just recently heard > of an awesome program called SongSmith which supposedly does quite a nice job
> of allowing music creation and playing.

The program is actually called SoundSmith. It is awsome. It is a shareware program
for $20 to the author who lives in Spain.
> --
> Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
> 674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
> Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
>                                 CIS:    75046,606

MACAUSLANDR@vax1.cosv.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (01/15/90)

Would someone be able to upload SoundSmith to Apple2-l?

On Sun, 14 Jan 90 19:12:00 EST you said:
>Would someone be able to upload SoundSmith to Apple2-l?

***ONLY*** if the author of that (shareware) product permits it PLEASE!!
Just because software is freely distributed (whether freeware or shareware,
but ESPECIALLY the latter), the author does NOT reliquish the 'rights' part
of copyright.  Glen Bredon to name one conspicuous example, doesn't permit
his software to be posted on BBS's everywhere, so please be sure to honor
any limits imposed on SoundSmith (comp.binaries.apple2 and APPLE2-L retain
the return address of program posters).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (The Insane Hermit) (01/15/90)

	I just recently got quicksound for my 2gs its an NDA that plays several
formats and tends to do a fairly nice job of it to boot.  I would reccomend this
program.  Now only If I had my 2gs so I could send it to you.

						The Insane Hermit
						The Zip-Man
						qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
						Chris Eleveld

p.s. you guys have sigs I have lots o' names.

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (01/15/90)

I just posted SoundSmith 0.7 to comp.binaries.apple2.  I suggest those who
can take a look at it.  It doesn't seem to run on Rom 3 however.

To whomever was concerned, the author of SoundSmith didn't indicate that
SoundSmith couldn't be distributed freely in his about.

Jeff
jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com
jeffn@nuchat.UUCP
...uunet!nuchat!jeffn

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (01/15/90)

Larry ( and everybody else).
There is also a pretty little SHR program on Softdisk GS vol 1 and Vol 2
called Jukebox which plays Music Studio 2.0 files.
Dan

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (01/16/90)

[stuff removed]

>***ONLY*** if the author of that (shareware) product permits it PLEASE!!
>Just because software is freely distributed (whether freeware or shareware,
>but ESPECIALLY the latter), the author does NOT reliquish the 'rights' part
>of copyright.

Just to pick nits, I was under the impression that if it couldn't be
distributed freely, it wasn't shareware.  After all, if shareware isn't
shared, what's the point?  Not that the author is obligated to distribute
anything at all to anyone, at any price, ever, of course.

>               Glen Bredon to name one conspicuous example, doesn't permit
>his software to be posted on BBS's everywhere, so please be sure to honor
>any limits imposed on SoundSmith (comp.binaries.apple2 and APPLE2-L retain
>the return address of program posters).

True.  However, I've never heard of his software correctly described as
shareware, and he specifically states that it _isn't_.

>/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
>      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
> + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet: Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer: These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Albion
College.

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (01/16/90)

In article <6411@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (The Insane Hermit) writes:

>	I just recently got quicksound for my 2gs its an NDA that plays several
>formats and tends to do a fairly nice job of it to boot.  I would reccomend this
>program.  Now only If I had my 2gs so I could send it to you.
>
>						The Insane Hermit
>						The Zip-Man
>						qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
>						Chris Eleveld
>
>p.s. you guys have sigs I have lots o' names.

Chris,

I tried to send you mail to find out where you got Quicksound from so I could
download it as well, but got this message from my mailer:

050 <qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>... Connecting to mentor.cc.purdue.edu.tcp...
550 <qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>... Host unknown
>>> QUIT

I am on the internet.  How do I get to you?  Is this program shareware or
freeware?

Thanks for any replies.

Ray
---
Ray Rankins         |(518) 387-7340 (days)| INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.      |(518) 583-3320 (eves)| COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831|                     | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (01/16/90)

In article <9001150503.AA17497@apple.com>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

>>Would someone be able to upload SoundSmith to Apple2-l?
>
>***ONLY*** if the author of that (shareware) product permits it PLEASE!!
>Just because software is freely distributed (whether freeware or shareware,
>but ESPECIALLY the latter), the author does NOT reliquish the 'rights' part
>of copyright.

Murph,

SoundSmith is shareware ... but this bring up a very good point.  Just what is
the legal status of anything posted to the network?

I was reading a reply by someone in comp.sys.amiga who had gotten the opinion
of a copyright lawyer that anything posted on usenet for the use of others
automatically forfeited his/her copyright since their software would end up on
30,000 machines (or so).

I'm kind of interested in what is said, because if this is so, I won't be
posting ShrinkIt 3.0 or GS/ShrinkIt to comp.binaries.apple2 if I forfeit the
copyright to the program (hope you can understand why).

andy

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (01/17/90)

In article <881@batman.moravian.EDU>, nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:
>SoundSmith is shareware ... but this bring up a very good point.  Just what is
>the legal status of anything posted to the network?
>
>I was reading a reply by someone in comp.sys.amiga who had gotten the opinion
>of a copyright lawyer that anything posted on usenet for the use of others
>automatically forfeited his/her copyright since their software would end up on
>30,000 machines (or so).
>
>I'm kind of interested in what is said, because if this is so, I won't be
>posting ShrinkIt 3.0 or GS/ShrinkIt to comp.binaries.apple2 if I forfeit the
>copyright to the program (hope you can understand why).
>
>andy

I remember reading 3 yaers ago an article posted to USENET by a copyright
lawyer.  The article was (naturally) about copyrignted material.  I would
repost the article, but, the article carried a copyright notice, and said
that the author does NOT grant permission for any to repost, or do anything
other than read it on a terminal (funny thing though, the terminal I happened
to be using to read it was hardcopy terminal (ie: terminal with printer instead
of CRT - HOWEVER, I destroyed the terminal listing in an effort (possibly
futile) to limit any violation I might have (inadvertently) made)

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the author.

In any case, if you have a question, ask your lawyer - if (s)he doesn't
know the answer, at least (s)he'll tell you who to ask.

BUT, based on the aboved mentioned article, distributing your copyrighted
matterial for free shouldn't negate the copyright - of course, shareware
isn't exactly free.......

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (01/19/90)

In article <2429@ttardis.UUCP> rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
>In article <881@batman.moravian.EDU>, nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:

[..]
>>I was reading a reply by someone in comp.sys.amiga who had gotten the opinion
>>of a copyright lawyer that anything posted on usenet for the use of others
>>automatically forfeited his/her copyright since their software would end upon
>>30,000 machines (or so).
>>
>>I'm kind of interested in what is said, because if this is so, I won't be
>>posting ShrinkIt 3.0 or GS/ShrinkIt to comp.binaries.apple2 if I forfeit the
>>copyright to the program (hope you can understand why).
>>
>>andy

[...]
>In any case, if you have a question, ask your lawyer - if (s)he doesn't
>know the answer, at least (s)he'll tell you who to ask.
>
>BUT, based on the aboved mentioned article, distributing your copyrighted
>matterial for free shouldn't negate the copyright - of course, shareware
>isn't exactly free.......

Hmmm, distributing your software, via whatever medium, doesn't negate
copyrights, that's assuming you've done "Copyright Me 1990" as opposed
to "(C) Me 1990"... I've read someplace that the (C) DOES NOT stand
for a "circle-c" as in copyright, so it has to be spelled out.

Can't say if I've seen a court case where they've had this discussed,
can't say I'd like to see it happen... enough nonsense already going
on.

--Chan

     Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> cwilson@nic.ddn.mil
 AAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!
	    ...UUCP/GS in research phase. More to come...