[comp.sys.apple] About GS SoundSmith, Axel F

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (01/17/90)

In article <18514@nuchat.UUCP> jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:

> Also, GS SoundSmith does not appear to function at all on my friend's
> ROM 3 machine.  It just crashed in the monitor.  I have not heard any other
> reports to confirm this incompatability, however.

It works fine on mine, with one exception: if I use the Graphic Player, there's
no cursor.  I don't know if the graphic player is just for show, or if the
controls are really supposed to be functional.  If I somehow get back to the
desktop & windows (by using some menu equivalent), the mouse is frozen.  I
don't know if these problems are peculiar to the Discovery (ROM 3) or if
they're bugs in general.  In short, there's no major incompatibility with the
newer GS.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (01/18/90)

> [soundsmith works on ROM 3]

Yep, it does.  The ROM 3 machine if failed to work on tested "System Bad"
two days later.  Today it's "System Good" again, but it still crashes.

You are not supposed to have a cursor in the Graphic play mode.  In short,
everything is working perfectly.  Hit escape to exit it.  The controls
are not functional, either.

Jeff

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (01/18/90)

In article <18601@nuchat.UUCP> jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:
>> [soundsmith works on ROM 3]
>
>Yep, it does.  The ROM 3 machine if failed to work on tested "System Bad"
>two days later.  Today it's "System Good" again, but it still crashes.

I tried it on a friend's ROM3 machine.  The first time around the program
started playing and crashed into the monitor, still humming along to itself.
So, we booted from bare System disk (5.0.2) without any fancy drivers
inits or DAs, and it worked fine.  So, one might want to play the old
"kill all your inits and DAs" game.

>You are not supposed to have a cursor in the Graphic play mode.  In short,
>everything is working perfectly.  Hit escape to exit it.  The controls
>are not functional, either.

I'm curious if anyone has sent away for and received the more current
version of SoundSmith.  I'm hoping that version 0.8 and above will support
the graphics player controls and have the sequencer built in.  Does 0.7
work with MIDI?  Can't verify it myself (no synth or interface yet).

--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (01/19/90)

I downloaded Axel.F and Soundsmith and everything works okay.
However, it seems that the new version does not support the old format
for the songs. I tried to play the songs from the previous version and
it refused to recognise it.
Also, I can't get it to recognise Music Studio songs.
So, at the moment, I'm restricted to AxelF only. Anyone have any ideas
on what I've mentioned?

|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||