[comp.sys.apple] Vulcan hard drives for IIGS

wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu (William J. Buikema) (01/06/90)

Can anyone give me any information on the 40 Meg Vulcan hard drive from AE?
I need this information for my father who wants to get a hard drive for
his IIGS.  I saw that it recently got a good review from the the InCider.
Any recommendations or info is welcome.  Post or E-mail if this has been
covered recently.  Thanks

Bill Buikema  wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu   wjb1@tank.uchicago.bitnet

johnw@pro-harvest.cts.com (John Withers) (01/13/90)

I can't comment on the 40MB, but the 20MB I've had for the last two
months works great.  Its on a //e and installed in minutes.  Seems
adequatly fast even compared to drives on AT class IBM-PC clones

John

/*  Signature line under construction -- Read at your own risk  /*

qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (The Insane Hermit) (01/15/90)

	I have had a 40 meg Vulcan on my 2gs for about 2 or 3 months now.  I
have experienced no problems so far.  My only complaints would be That the fan
is slightly loose and has a tendency to scrape sometimes and make it noisy when
it first starts up.  The software that come swiht it is really very nice and it
is very quiet.  The only thing I think AE could add to improve it would be a
utility to do a low level format of the drive and to make the nda for setting
the boot partition to select the one you press return on not the way it is now
where you have to use the arrows to highlight the partition name and then press
the space abr.  So I'm picky so sue me.  My only other thing I feel worth
mentioning is that you can only have 4 active partitions at once as opposed to
the Inner Drive which I think will handle more.  If you have any questions that
this has raised feel free to mail me.

						The Insane Hermit
						The Zip-Man
						qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
						Chris Eleveld

p.s. you guys have sigs I have lots of names so there :-P

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (01/15/90)

On Mon, 15 Jan 90 06:02:05 GMT The Insane Hermit said:
>  My only other thing I feel worth
>mentioning is that you can only have 4 active partitions at once as opposed to
>the Inner Drive which I think will handle more.  If you have any questions that
>this has raised feel free to mail me.
>
>						The Insane Hermit
>						The Zip-Man
>						qig@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
>						Chris Eleveld

The number of partitions is a limit imposed by ProDOS, not the hard
drive or the software, I believe.  Applied Engineering supplied a
patch to ProDOS with my documentation to raise this limit to 8.

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|*                                |*|         ...but they should be.  *|

w0033@desire.wright.edu (01/20/90)

You might also want to look into Applied Ingenuity's Inner Drive. Like the AE
hard drive it is an internal unit which replaces the GS power supply. The
review I read was all raves about it, but I don't know anyone myself who has
one. It also is not SCSI, but this doesn't matter much for internal drives. The
price was $599 and $10 shipping at the time of the article. The reviewer also
mentioned that a SCSI version was in the works, but he expected it to add $100
to the price.