[comp.sys.apple] Apple II Hi-res picture conversion?

brent@hpislx.HP.COM (Brent Geske) (01/12/90)

Can anyone give me information on how to convert Apple II
Hires screen images to some type of format displayable on an IBM PC?

The images were created by the "Polarsoft penguin graphics system"
and are saved in a packed format by the Polarsoft program.  I believe
I can get the images unpacked and into the Hires screen memory area,
but I have no tool to convert Apple's strange Hires pixel organization
into something a little more understandable.

Once I get the images into the Hires screen, I can do:

	BSAVE (filename),A$2000,L$2000

to produce standard "BSAVEd Hires" files, but I don't relish
the thought of writing code to walk through these files
and extract the pixels linearly in the order that they appear
on the Apple II screen.

Is there some utility out there that can read Apple Hires files
and convert them to some more "standard" format?

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (01/16/90)

In article <3270001@hpislx.HP.COM> brent@hpislx.HP.COM (Brent Geske) writes:
>Is there some utility out there that can read Apple Hires files
>and convert them to some more "standard" format?

I don't know of such a utility for the Apple IIe and below, but the
IIGS SHRConvert which can load Apple II Hires, convert them to the
Super Hires Equivalent, then save the whole thing as a GIF file.  GIF
files are easily viewed and converted on the IBM PC with such programs
as VGIF, which works with a variety of display adapters.

SHRConvert is available from these anonymous ftp sites:

Univ. of Michigan   	35.1.1.43		/PC5:
Harvard               	128.103.1.56
Univ. of Kentucky      	128.163.128.6		/pub/appleII
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS

vic@pro-abilink.cts.com (Vic Shrock) (01/20/90)

You might look at 'The Graphic Exchange' by Roger Wagner.  I use it to convert
SHR <-> DHR <-> HR <-> Print Shop GS <-> Print Shop <-> Newsroom et cetera.
It does require a IIGS with 768K.

Vic@Pro-Abilink