[comp.sys.apple] lunar lander

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (12/25/89)

Some Lunar Lander has been put on comp.binaries.apple2 and apple2-l
without any description whatsoever. What is it? What does it run on?

Please, please, describe the stuff you send to these places! I think
they should automatically reject anything without an introductory
explanation (i.e. if FiLeS.... is the first line of the body, kill it).
I shouldn't have to guess if it will run on my //c or not. And it would
be nice to know if it will do anything interesting or useful before
I download it.

MACAUSLANDR@vax1.cosv.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (12/25/89)

>Some Lunar Lander has been put on comp.binaries.apple2 and apple2-l
>without any description whatsoever. What is it? What does it run on?

The program is similar to the one that was available for the VIC-20, except
the one for the VIC is better :-) (Of course the graphics aren't as good, but
the game play is superior to the GS version)  You basically have to set an
appropriate amount of thrust so that when you land your speed is less than
a certain value..... a yawner really, but thats just my opinion....

RM

ldcol@PacBell.COM (Larry D Colton) (12/25/89)

In article <121324A0@PSUVM.BITNET> ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) writes:
>Some Lunar Lander has been put on comp.binaries.apple2 and apple2-l
>without any description whatsoever. What is it? What does it run on?
>
>Please, please, describe the stuff you send to these places!

Andy, I share your frustrations and concerns.  After quite a few minutes
downloading and processin, I discovered the resultant file is an s16 file.
I don't think that will run on either your 2c or my 2e! :-(

Additionally, considerable time and network space would have been saved
if the file had been processed with Shrinkit.

Thanks to the individual who sent it to apple2-l or comp.binaries.apple2.
Any new programs are appreciated.  Not all is lost in my case, I will
give it to our club disk librarian to include on a future club DOM (Disk
Of the Month).  It would just be helpful to include a few words of
introduction to the file as to what the program is and does and any
hardware requirements.

--
Larry Colton                {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!ldcol

On Sun, 24 Dec 89 17:13:24 GMT you said:
>Please, please, describe the stuff you send to these places! I think
>they should automatically reject anything without an introductory
>explanation (i.e. if FiLeS.... is the first line of the body, kill it).

Us *censor*!!  Not very likely (Chris Chung & I, along with Grant Delaney
are the 'they' you're referring to -- haven't you learned that THEY never
do anything? :-)

The stuff that's posted DOES indicate WHO it came from.  Try fussing at
the source of the post.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (01/07/90)

Andy Tefft (sp?) says:
>Some Lunar Lander has been put on comp.binaries.apple2 and apple2-l
>without any description whatsoever. What is it? What does it run on?

I downloaded it since it was pretty short.  It's basically that game
in which you're trying to land on the moon with a speed under 3 ft per
second.  You slow down by burning up your limited fuel, but if you
don't burn any fuel gravity pulls you faster and faster.

This version (by Joe Jaworski, I think) includes some Hi-Res graphics
that show your ship approaching the moon and a fuel gauge.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

w0033@desire.wright.edu (01/21/90)

The Lunar Lander I have uses the GS sound and grpahics. It plays music in the
background and uses mouse control. Apparently he rewrote his earliler version
(circa 1978) to bring it up to GS standards. I think mine was version 2.0 and
about 90k.