[comp.sys.apple] UNIX on an Apple II?

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (01/20/90)

Dumb question here:  Would the shareware program ANIX  (Apple Unix) have
any relevance to this discussion?

wilken@plains.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (01/20/90)

In article <9001200222.AA19373@apple.com> ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
>Dumb question here:  Would the shareware program ANIX  (Apple Unix) have
>any relevance to this discussion?

I have never used the program ANIX, but from what I have heard about it, I
gather that is nothing more than a ProDOS overlay.  More or less you that means
you can send it commands similar to UNIX (ls, cat, more, etc), but all it does
is interpret it to a form ProDOS can understand (cat or catalog), and outputs
the result to your screen.  it is by no means UNIX.

If i'm wrong, someone please tell me.  I would love an Apple based UNIX.

Scott

<FORGOT TO INCLUDE MY SIG FILE, SO THIS IS BY HAND>

*  ..!uunet!plains!wilken	wilken@plains.nodak.edu  	WILKEN@PLAINS *
       UUCP				Internet		   Bitnet

martyp@pnet02.gryphon.com (Martin Peckham) (01/20/90)

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET writes:
>Dumb question here:  Would the shareware program ANIX  (Apple Unix) have
>any relevance to this discussion?

I haven't heard of ANIX in so long I had forgotten about it. It was a UNIXish
as you could get in 64k. Not really too bad. I don't really know if Randy Hyde
ever ported it to the GS. A GS specific version might be the way to go or at
least a starting point to port the utilities.

Some of the GNU stuff is relatively easy to port to APW C and they have an
ANSI compatable compiler available... only have to do the 65816 assembler
part. Any takers?

marty

AMERICA ONLINE: MartinP6
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!martyp
INET: martyp@pnet02.gryphon.com

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (01/21/90)

> Dumb question here:  Would the shareware program ANIX  (Apple Unix) have
> any relevance to this discussion?

It sounds like fun but I've yet to see a copy of Anix.

| UUCP: [ucsd, nosc] !crash!pro-europa!paul | "All that is necessary for the |
| INET: paul@pro-europa.cts.com             |  triumph of SWBell is for good |
| ARPA: crash!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil      |  men to do nothing."           |