[comp.sys.apple] Apple Extended Keyboard

bh@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Hicks) (01/15/90)

 Does anybody have a driver for the Apple Extended Keyboard? My GS keyboard
recently went out, and I purchased a new AEK. The major problem I am having,
is trying to get the Function keys working properly. Any help on this would be
VERY MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance...

                                                       Brian Hicks
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!bh
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!bh@nosc.mil
INET: bh@pro-lep.cts.com

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (01/16/90)

In article <2604.net.apple@pro-lep> bh@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Hicks) writes:

> Does anybody have a driver for the Apple Extended Keyboard? My GS keyboard

No driver is needed, I use a Cutting Edge extended keyboard with no problems.
The help key mapping is not built into the system.  You can use the Beagle
desk accessory KeyMac to define those keys, or the one from Roger Wagner
Publishing.

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (01/16/90)

In article <2604.net.apple@pro-lep> bh@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Hicks) writes:

| Does anybody have a driver for the Apple Extended Keyboard? My GS keyboard
|recently went out, and I purchased a new AEK. The major problem I am having,
|is trying to get the Function keys working properly. Any help on this would be
|VERY MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance...
|
|                                                       Brian Hicks
A question along those lines......  Does anyone know if there has ever been
an external keyboard for the //e (IBM style)?  I prefer the IBM's keyboard over
apple's.  I would like to build some type of converter for one....but I don't
have enough technical background to build such a creature.  I know a few years
back that they made a external keyboard out of the ADAM computer's (well let's
just call it a toy) keyboard.  Can anyone shed some light on this one????

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (01/20/90)

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>In article <2604.net.apple@pro-lep> bh@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Hicks) writes:
>> Does anybody have a driver for the Apple Extended Keyboard? My GS keyboard
>No driver is needed, I use a Cutting Edge extended keyboard with no problems.
>The help key mapping is not built into the system.  You can use the Beagle
>desk accessory KeyMac to define those keys, or the one from Roger Wagner
>Publishing.

	The function keys also don't do anything (well, not much). I don't
know about KeyMac, but MacroMate (from RWP) requires an additional modifier
key (either Command or Option) in order to activate the macros - this means
that one can't activate a macro with a function key alone. It is possible to
get around this, but I don't have the time to write the program to do it at
the moment.

	Speaking of which... Is there a pseudo-keycode to make the ADB
microcontroller set the repeat bit? It would be nice to be able to send the
uController some keycode (like the ones for the modifier keystrokes, such as
Shift, Option, etc.), and have it set the repeat bit in $C025. Of course, if
it doesn't already exist, then it doesn't matter.
--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Saperstein

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (01/22/90)

In article <1063@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>>In article <2604.net.apple@pro-lep> bh@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Hicks) writes:
>>> Does anybody have a driver for the Apple Extended Keyboard? My GS keyboard
>>No driver is needed, I use a Cutting Edge extended keyboard with no problems.
>>The help key mapping is not built into the system.  You can use the Beagle
>>desk accessory KeyMac to define those keys, or the one from Roger Wagner
>>Publishing.
>
>	The function keys also don't do anything (well, not much). I don't
>know about KeyMac, but MacroMate (from RWP) requires an additional modifier
>key (either Command or Option) in order to activate the macros - this means
>that one can't activate a macro with a function key alone. It is possible to
>get around this, but I don't have the time to write the program to do it at
>the moment.

The KeyMac NDA from Beagle recognizes function keys just fine.  You can save
macros as sets for different programs.

It will let you put arrow keys, delete keys etc. into the macro.  I like to
use this for setting up in a programming language, for instance:

printf("|\n");

with the vertical bar being the cursor, after creating the word I can
use the back arrow key in the macro definition to move the cursor back to
the correct spot to begin typing.  I heard that a guy in Israel even uses it
to type right to left in Hebrew.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu