[comp.sys.apple] multiple memory cards in a GS

palmer@sun.acs.udel.edu (Scott D Palmer) (01/20/90)

Is there any other options than Applied Engineering's RAMKeeper card for
using 2 RAM cards (Apple's GS RAM card 1 meg, and AE's GS RAM 1.5meg) with
a GS ?  I neither require nor desire battery backup for the RAM.  Does anyone
know of a company planning a lowcost product that would allow this ?  Is it
possible to construct one yourself ?

                           Any information will be appreciated,
                                                        Scott Palmer

JLS139@PSUVM.BITNET (01/20/90)

  Checkmate Technology, Inc. makes a similar product called  MemorySaver
which supports most major memory boards including AE's. However, the
the price is about the same ($149.95 retail).
  I too would be interested in a cheeper product or a scheematic for
a low cost build-it-yourself.
  It would be great if someone made a memory card that would support
an additional memory card so that you wouldn't have to buy additional
cards to enjoy larger memory.
-- jeff

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/20/90)

palmer@sun.acs.udel.edu (Scott D Palmer) writes:

>Is there any other options than Applied Engineering's RAMKeeper card for
>using 2 RAM cards (Apple's GS RAM card 1 meg, and AE's GS RAM 1.5meg) with
>a GS ?  I neither require nor desire battery backup for the RAM.  Does anyone
>know of a company planning a lowcost product that would allow this ?  Is it
>possible to construct one yourself ?

Should be, but 44-pin cards are hard to find. My guess is that we could:

	1. Buy a .1" spaced board w/ 44 or more pins, only a bit wider than
the current slot connector.

	2. Cut it so there are 44 pins and it fits the memory expansion
slot.

	3. Buy two (or more?) 44 pin card edge connectors from a surplus or
electro store, and solder them on, connecting up all the wires in parallel
EXCEPT /CAS (or whatever the master CAS line is).

	4. Attach appropriate TTL to drive the CAS line of each card for it's
designated memory space. This is the fun part; you need to get creative.

problems: since you'd have the RAM boards sticking outwards over all the
useful slots, there may not be enough room, plus if the boards are heavy
they will bend the connector pins which is a bitch to fix so a small prop
or two would be necessary.

unless you buy right angle card edge connectors (not impossible but I bet
hard to find).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (01/22/90)

I need to reformat my hd.
Does anyone have a working version of scsihacker? I tried to get it
from some ftp sites but the file was corrupted.
I know that scsihacker is being marketed now, but I think it's okay to
regard the old version as shareware since it is still on the ftp
sites. If it's illegal, can anyone please send me a program which will
allow custom interleaves for scsi drives?
Thanks.
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu        |||||||||||Yong Su Kim||||||||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			     |||||The Korean from Hong Kong||||
|UUCP    : uunet!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4 |||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||

yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Yong Su Kim) (01/22/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple