[comp.sys.apple] Apple shoots own foot

w0033@desire.wright.edu (01/22/90)

The rumors about Apple spinning off the II line into another company (ala
Claris) has been floating around most of the BBSes in the Dayton area. And most
of the posts I have seen have been pro-split. Whether or not this would really
fix anything is hard to tell, but most people seem to think it would help.
There was one nomination of Steve Wozniak as president of the new company. I
would guess that the way Appple is handling things that they want the II line
to die quietly. They have lumped the GS and all II lines together so that the
high selling GS gets cut down by the lower volume C+ and others. I was looking
at the PC COmputing 500 from a year ago and it showed the GS is the #3 selling
slot, outselling all the Mac models and many of the IBM clones. Since that time
I'm sure sales have slowed thanks to Apple's aniti-II marketing. Why do they
keep shooting themselves in the foot? If the II line sells, they should
support it, not kill it.

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (01/22/90)

In article <281.25b9a6d8@desire.wright.edu> w0033@desire.wright.edu writes:
>I'm sure sales have slowed thanks to Apple's aniti-II marketing. Why do they
>keep shooting themselves in the foot? If the II line sells, they should
>support it, not kill it.

There was a recent article in the San Jose Mercury, about how Apple has been
ignoring it's lower end models... not just the //gs, but the Macintosh models
below the SE/30.  Every one of their ads that I've seen has shown a Mac II
(large screen with color...).

Apple doesn't hate the Apple II anymore, it just doesn't care whether or
not it lives or dies.  Yes, it makes a profit.  For now.  When the // line
ceases to make a profit, it will cease to be produced or supported.  Yes,
it could be more profitable if Apple spent money on hardware R&D, but that's
not the direction that Apple wishes to take.

Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't make computers.

Apple Computer, Inc. makes money.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

Disclaimer: the "money not computers" lines were originally part of somebody's
	    speech about IBM...