[comp.sys.apple] 20Mhz Transwarp GS

ditz@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Michael R Ditz) (01/22/90)

     The message I posted the other day about the possible production of
a 20 Mhz 65816 and is use by Applied Engineering generated zero interrest.
Does no one care about their GS anymore?

     My question  is about the Dates NDA.  Has anyone gotten it to work?
Whenever I select it keeps asking me for the system disk, which is in the
drive.

     Thanx,

         Mike (ditz@en.ecn.purdue.edu)

mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Kern) (01/22/90)

The 20Mhz 65816 is not a rumor. It has not yet prototyped, but the
company and the design do exist. There was a conference the other night
on America Online where the designers came to speak on the chip. They say
they took the 65816 and redesigned it from the bottom up. They say this,
in addition to advanced CAD software, has allowed them to beat WDC to the
punch. The foundry, which remains anonymous, guarantees the prototype
will work. This chip is also supposed to be fully 6502 compatable, which
would allow it to be used in accelerator products for the II as well.
They also said this chip could not be used in any current CPU or card
design, that is you can't just slap this sucker into your TWGS and go.
   These guys are legit, but its still a question as to when a prototype
will be ready. They said that the previous announcement of a prototype
this month was incorrect. Delays have forced the date back to March.
    I dunno if it will ever get off the ground, but this is exciting
news. These guys have big plans for this chip, from Laser II clones
zipping along at 20 Mhz to selling the new CPU to Apple for the much
fabled 'new' GS. I hope they succeed. And chalk up another point for AO
for having these guys in an interview so soon. It was a record
conference, 40 people attended.

						Mark E. Kern

   Mark Edward Kern, mek4_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  A.Online: Markus
      Quagmire Studios U.S.A. "We not only hear you, we feel you !"

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (01/22/90)

In article <9001220025.AA17790@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, ditz@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU
(Michael R Ditz) says:

>     The message I posted the other day about the possible production of
>a 20 Mhz 65816 and is use by Applied Engineering generated zero interrest.
>Does no one care about their GS anymore?

I care about my GS, but this post just didn't seem worth replying to. I
enjoyed the post, don't get me wrong, and if AE is really interested in
making a 20 Mhz Transwarp, I'd buy it.  Still, to reply to a factual (I
hope) article like that didn't seem like it was worth the network costs.

However, after reading several other posts, I've decided to add in my
$0.02.  UNIX on a GS running at 20 Mhz... Any takers?  Definitely worth
it if it can be implemented.  And how come only AE is interested?  Why
not Apple? Are these chips as "unreliable" as the 12 Mhz chips Mensch
was talking about?  Or is it just another piece of vapor ware to see
just how gullible the ][ world is?

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/22/90)

ditz@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Michael R Ditz) writes:

>     The message I posted the other day about the possible production of
>a 20 Mhz 65816 and is use by Applied Engineering generated zero interrest.
>Does no one care about their GS anymore?

I care, and I'm interested.

I'm thinking of calling WDC to find out about faster parts because I want
to use one for a CS project.

Have they roughed out the 832 and it's FPU yet, or do we need to make Apple
invest in them at gunpoint so we'll see some high speed parts in quantity?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu