[comp.sys.apple] Re^2: Educomputing 2000

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (01/22/90)

w0033@desire.wright.edu writes:

>It would seem that since the toolsets are quite similar between the GS and Mac,
>it wouldn't take much to make a cross compiler for the two machines. I'm not
>sure if specific parameter passing is in the same order and the like, but many
>tools are the same. I'm unsure, but I suspect that the Mac does have some tools
>which are not available on the GS directly, so it might end up being only
>upward (downward???) compatible in that GS programs could be ported to the Mac
>but not the other way. I had heard rumors that such a cross compiler existed or
>was in the works, but I have yet to see anything

Well, there are also a lot of tools that the GS has that the Mac does NOT have
(at least not yet, I hope they get some of them soon). For instance, the
Mac does not have tools pertaining to the DOC because none of the Macs have
this awesome sound chip. No mac has the tool call TaskMaster which makes
desktop programming a lot easier. No mac has the tool call MessageCenter which
makes multifinder easier (it is used by the gs finder to get applications to
open documents you double-click on, like basic progams, appleworks files (?),
etc.)

However, the gs does not have 32-bit quickdraw, for obvious reasons which I
wish they'd fix.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu