[comp.sys.apple] File Subtypes

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin O. Lepard") (02/05/89)

I'm finishing up a program that will automatically segment large files
into 32K parts so that they can be run through the Executioner.  The
program also automatically writes the reconstruction program.  As far
as I can tell everything works as it is supposed to, except that when I
break down S16 files (subtype $0100) and then reconstruct them the sub-
type changes to $0000.  That wouldn't bother me except that the files
won't run.  The one's I've tested it on give me a System Error $110A
or $110B.  Anyone know what's going on here?

Email back to me or post here; I'll read it either way.

Thanks in advance

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

blochowi@cat17.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (02/07/89)

	I don't think it'd be acceptable to have a splitter that lost the
auxtype of a file, especially given that Executioner preserves it... Why don't
you just have the first segment of the file hold the original auxtype? That
way, your re-segmenter could just suffix all segments past the first to the
first segment. Also, the splitter could just duplicate the auxtype for the
first segment, and ignore the rest. Make sense?

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (01/31/90)

> How does one change a file subtype?  Can it be done without using a
> sector editor?
>
> I want to change the language for an Orca SRC file.

The internal Orca command 'change' does that.    CHANGE <pathname> <language>

-Rich Sims-

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com