[comp.sys.apple] NuFX archives and BXY

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (01/22/90)

Andy, Dave, Matt, & anybody interested:

While reading some File Type Notes, I came up with a question I hope
somebody can answer about NuFX archives, specifically about .BXY files.

The FTN for $EO, auxtype $8002 describes NuFX archives as allowing "for
full archival of ProDOS and GS/OS files while keeping all file attributes
with each file, as well as providing necessary archival functions such as
multiple compression schemes."

Now, I know that the primary (if not sole) purpose of the Binary II
standard is to preserve ProDOS file attributes, most commonly for file
transfers & storage on non-ProDOS-speaking hosts.

It's my understanding that 'BXY' files are NuFX archives encased in Binary
II format.  Since the NuFX archive already preserves the archived file(s)
attributes, why do it again by adding a Binary II header?  Is this done
just to keep the attributes of the NuFX document intact?

Proline:  rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil
INET: rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/01/90)

In article <1089@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:
>[....]
>>> [Nuked question about what .BXY stood for]
>>Well, Tom Weishaar suggested that we needed the .B<something>Y suffix to
>>identify exactly what the file was, and the norm was to change the middle
>>character of the suffix to indicate what format the file was in, ala
>>.B<sQueezed>Y, so we ended up with .B<nufX>Y
>
>	But of course... Now, for the big question: What's the suffix for
>a shrunk (.SHK, originally) set of files with a Binary ][ header (.BXY),
>that's been BinSCII'ed (.BSC)? .BSXYC? I give up...

Hmm... Don't know about the Binary ][ header, but I've been using .BSQ for
files that have been BinScii'ed (B), shrunk (S), or squeezed (Q).
I dunno.  Could always adapt btc (bill the cat's) favorite expression...
"Ack!"

>>andy
>                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.