[comp.sys.apple] \

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (02/02/90)

> Now I'm just going to somehow have to build a volume control knob
> to go between my stereo card and my Bose Roommates.. ALL BECAUSE the
> authors didn't put in that seemingly-relatively minor feature.

You've hit on my main gripe with the Sonic Blaster and external speakers.  You
can't turn it down unless you open the machine.  The last time I went looking
for a small amp with volume controls to put between the speakers and the SB I
bought a stereo and speakers for my jeep.  I hope I do better next time!

| UUCP: [ucsd, nosc] !crash!pro-europa!paul | "Ask not for whom Southwestern |
| INET: paul@pro-europa.cts.com             |  Bell Telephone tolls, it tolls|
| ARPA: crash!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil      |  for me" (Support COSUARD)     |

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/03/90)

try Radio Shack!

they have these Stereo Mixers which can be used for precisely
this purpose.  They have one (I believe) with two mono channels.

You hook the stereo card's output LEFT to one channel, RIGHT to
the other.  Then, plug the speakers into the Mixer's OUTPUT
jacks.  You may need to also buy a whole mess of converters to
match jack types, etc. but it should work, and each channel has
its own individual volume slide switch, so you can even control
balance if you wish.

I bought one of these (a 4 channel: 3 stereo channel + 2 mono)
to hook up my computer, stereo card, and two other headphone
jack-output stereo components to my speakers, and it works
great!  (Esp. w/BOSE Roommates!)

-- rubio