[comp.sys.apple] Gateway to America Online

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (01/20/90)

Does anyone know if there is a way of sending mail to someone on America
Online from Usenet and vice versa?

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |

wilken@plains.UUCP (Scott Wilken) (01/20/90)

In article <1267@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a way of sending mail to someone on America
>Online from Usenet and vice versa?

Do you mean Internet or UUCP?  Usenet isnt really a network.  It would more
correctly be called a mailing list.

Im not trying to sound cocky or anything, since compared to most people on here
i'm not really very smart :)  I just thought I should straighten you out.

Scott

! Internet:  wilken@plains.nodak.edu           America Online:  Wilken        !
! UUCP:      ..!uunet!plains!wilken            GEnie:           S.WILKEN1     !
! BITNET:    WILKEN@PLAINS                     Delphi:          SWilken       !

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (01/20/90)

In article <3156@plains.UUCP>, wilken@plains.UUCP (Scott Wilken) writes...
>In article <1267@mountn.dec.com> shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>>Does anyone know if there is a way of sending mail to someone on America
>>Online from Usenet and vice versa?
>>

>Do you mean Internet or UUCP?  Usenet isnt really a network.  It would more
>correctly be called a mailing list.

    Your correct (of course)! I meant to say Internet.

/chris

On Fri, 19 Jan 90 21:15:08 GMT you said:
>Does anyone know if there is a way of sending mail to someone on America
>Online from Usenet and vice versa?

No gateway exists between America Online and any other net or service
(a good reason for using Compu$erve instead).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

On Tue, 30 Jan 90 09:30:41 EST you said:
>Although there's no gateway to America Online, there is a gateway to the
>commercial AppleLink where many America Online subscribers have accounts.
>i.e. Jerry Cline and other active Apple movers/shakers.

OK, I'll bite what IS Jerry's ID (I asked that last week and was underwhelmed
by the nonresponse)?  If mail reaches Jerry at AppleLink, why follow the
Tinker to Boztek to Cline kludge when a 'straight line' is available?

>Here's how you use the gateway:
>
>Address your  mail to
>                 XB.DAS@STANFORD.BITNET
>in the SUBJECT field put the AppleLink address such as
>                 U0523
>If you want a short subject separate it from the applelink address by an
>exclamation point "!" such as
>                 U0523!Testing the gateway.

That procedure WILL work from BITNET (only, I think).  It's one heck of
a lot easier (and more compatible with just about everyone's mailer) to
use: userid@AppleLink.Apple.COM