[comp.sys.apple] Does the Apple Imagewriter II speak plain ASCII?

parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) (02/03/90)

This may sound dumb, but I'm not an Apple person.   Can someone confirm
that the Apple Imagewriter II printer can be used a plain generic ascii
printer with a non Apple system?   Or does it only deal with the Apple
machines as a bit mapped device?  My kid's school has a chance to get one
cheap, but they have IBM PCs.   I suspect it can be used with them, but
I would like to confirm this.   Thanks.

uunet!epiwrl!parker   or parker@wrl.epi.com

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/03/90)

In article <3084@epiwrl.EPI.COM> parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) writes:
>Can someone confirm
>that the Apple Imagewriter II printer can be used a plain generic ascii
>printer with a non Apple system?

Provided a person can get the appropriate cables, I believe an
imagewriter can be used like any other serial printer on the
market.  The cables to connect a 25 pin rs232 port from the
ibm to the imagewriter are no doubt out there, but might not be
terribly easy to come by.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/03/90)

In article <3084@epiwrl.EPI.COM> parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) writes:
>that the Apple Imagewriter II printer can be used a plain generic ascii
>printer with a non Apple system?   Or does it only deal with the Apple
>machines as a bit mapped device?  My kid's school has a chance to get one
>cheap, but they have IBM PCs.   I suspect it can be used with them, but

Yes it does, I have used an Apple ImageWriter II on my pc clone for about
three years now.  The caveat is that the ImageWriter doesn't set CTS high,
I clueged it by strapping the RTS line back onto the CTS line, so that DOS
thinks that the printer is there.  Then use the mode command in your autoexec
file to redirect LPT1 to the COMx port.  Or you can spend $50 to get one of
those parallel to  serial converters.  WordPerfect has a driver for the
ImageWriter, but you have to call them and ask you to send you the printer
driver disk that has the Apple printers on it.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley