[comp.sys.apple] 65802

LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET (04/27/87)

A friend of mine received a free copy of a book on programming the 68516, as
well as the 65802, 65C02 and of course the 6502.  I find that miraculously,
the 65802 is pin compatible with the 6502, therefore, if I understand the
book, can be plugged right in where the 6502 used to be (in my 64K II+).

My questions are 1) is this indeed possible? and 2) what does this buy me?
Am I then left to program in machine code? assembler (whose?) or is there
any software out there which would use the new chips 16 bit capabilities.
I do a lot of work with floating point arithmetic, so any speedup would be
appreciated.

Lyman Hurd

schumann@puff.WISC.EDU (Christopher Schumann) (04/27/87)

LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET writes:
> therefore, if I understand the
> book, can be plugged right in where the 6502 used to be (in my 64K II+).
> My questions are 1) is this indeed possible?

Yes it is.  I know of some people who have put one in their //c's, and it works
fine.

> 2) what does this buy me?

You can then enter the 16-bit mode, the native mode for the //gs.

> Am I then left to program in machine code? assembler (whose?)
> Lyman Hurd

I believe that Orca/M allows 65802/65816 programming, as does Merlin Pro.

Chris Schumann					schumann@puff.wisc.edu

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <8704261908.aa15443@SPARK.BRL.ARPA>, LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET writes:
> A friend of mine received a free copy of a book on programming the 68516, as
> well as the 65802, 65C02 and of course the 6502.  I find that miraculously,
> the 65802 is pin compatible with the 6502, therefore, if I understand the
> book, can be plugged right in where the 6502 used to be (in my 64K II+).
>
> My questions are 1) is this indeed possible? and 2) what does this buy me?
> Am I then left to program in machine code? assembler (whose?) or is there
> any software out there which would use the new chips 16 bit capabilities.
> I do a lot of work with floating point arithmetic, so any speedup would be
> appreciated.
>
> Lyman Hurd

You can put the 65802 in the //+, but some poeple have had problems because
of a timing bug in the //+.  It seems to vary with the production date of
the machine.  I believe the folks at S-C Software in Texas came up with a
fix for the problem.  They publish Apple Assembly line.  You can call them
for help on this subject.  I don't have their number but I think they are in
Dallas.  The 65802 is basically a 65816 without the top 8 address lines con-
nected.  You can get more efficiency out of the chip but you'll have to
write it yourself.  Its too bad that Apple didn't put them in the //c
and in the //e enhancement kit, but I guess production wasn't up to the
point where Apple could get the millions they needed.

Rick Fincher

avatar@xls-plexus01 (Todd Johnson) (04/30/87)

> A friend of mine received a free copy of a book on programming the 68516, as
> well as the 65802, 65C02 and of course the 6502.  I find that miraculously,
> the 65802 is pin compatible with the 6502, therefore, if I understand the
> book, can be plugged right in where the 6502 used to be (in my 64K II+).

The 65802 is in fact pin compatible with the 6502 and 65C02.  You can swap the
microprocessor in your //e REPEAT //e with either the 65C02 or the 65802 and
your existing software won't notice the difference.  The 65C02 has an enhanced
instruction set over the 6502 and a few instruction bugs were corrected.  It is
the chip that Apple sells in their //e enhancement kit.  The 65802 has an
enhanced instruction set over the 65C02 as well as software selectable 8/16
bit registers.

> My questions are 1) is this indeed possible?

If you want to put a 65802 (or 65C02) in a ][ or ][+, you may experience a
problem because of timing.  Several small articles have appeared in Apple
Assembly Line (published by S-C Software Corporation, Dallas, TX) which covered
the subject of putting the 65C02 and 65802 in "older" apples.  Four separate
"fixes" have appeared in AAL to correct the timing problem.  They are:

  I - Replace the 74LS257's at motherboard locations B6 and B7 with 74F257's

 II - Replace the 74LS174's at motherboard locations B5 and B8 with 74F174's

III - Replace the ~RAS inputs to the 74LS174's (B5 & B8) on pin 9 with AX.
      AX comes from the 74LS195 at C2 pin 14.  A complete description of this
      fix is in the Oct 85 issue of AAL.

 IV - This last fix was described in the Nov 85 issue of AAL in an article by
      Jim Sather.  Jim states that if you perform fix III above, you will
      probably have to change your RAM to 150 nsec.  Or, he states, you can
      replace the 74LS139 at F2 with a 74S139 and keep your existing 200 nsec
      RAM.

I haven't tried any of these fixes on a ][+ myself, but I have tried both the
65C02 and the 65802 in my //e with NO problems.

>                                              and 2) what does this buy me?

The 65802 has two modes -- Emulation mode and Native mode.  When the chip is
powered up or reset it will be in emulation mode.  It will then work like a
65C02 and its operation will be transparent to existing software.  The Stack
Register is a full 16 bits wide but the high byte is forced to $01 when in
emulation mode.  When the 65802 is switched into Native mode (through software),
several other features of the chip can be activated (again by software) to give
you 8 or 16 bit A, X, and Y registers and also 8 or 16 bit memory.  16 bit
memory is handled as two consecutive 8 bit bytes stored in conventional 65xx
low byte/high byte order.  When in native mode, the stack is not restricted to
page $01, but can be set to any address in the 64K range.

> Am I then left to program in machine code? assembler (whose?) or is there
> any software out there which would use the new chips 16 bit capabilities.
> I do a lot of work with floating point arithmetic, so any speedup would be
> appreciated.
>
> Lyman Hurd

I don't know of any existing software that takes advantage of the 65802's
capabilities.  For now, you will have to write your own routines to use the
new features.  I currently use the S-C Macro Assembler 2.0 to write programs
for the 65802.  It is capable of assembling code for the 6502, 65C02, 65802,
and the 65816.  There may be other assemblers that can handle the new chips but
I have not used any others.

Regards...

		Todd L. Johnson
ARPANET:        tjohnson@amc-hq

-----

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (05/12/87)

In article <8705011753.aa04838@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> avatar@xls-plexus01 (Todd Johnson) writes:
> new features.  I currently use the S-C Macro Assembler 2.0 to write programs
> for the 65802.  It is capable of assembling code for the 6502, 65C02, 65802,
> and the 65816.  There may be other assemblers that can handle the new chips but

The ORCA/M Assembler (available for DOS and ProDOS, and I believe used by
Apple for GS development work) supports all of the above processors.  It
is billed as the most powerful assembler available on any micro computer and
believe me, that isn't an exageration.  In fact it's more powerful than most
mini or mainframe assemblers.

                                                -kee

UUCP:   ...{mit-erl,mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!nazgul
USPS:          Apollo Computer, Chelmsford MA.  (617) 256-6600 x7587
          or  Apt #1, 102 Gloucester St., Arlington MA.  (617) 641-3805
ARPA:                      apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu
and...     (Coming soon, to an internet near you!) nazgul@apollo.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (03/14/88)

In article <20343@bu-cs.BU.EDU> spike@bu-it.bu.edu (Joe Ilacqua) writes:

>	Anyone know a good source of 65802's?
>--
>->Spike

Yeah, Jameco Electronics.  That's where I got mine.  It was $29, back
when Apple Assembly line was selling them for $50.  Now they two sell
then for $25, and Jameco has 'em for $19, I believe.  They advertise in
the Apple mags, as well as most other computer mags.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

>Date:         Mon, 23 May 88 13:49:00 EDT
>From:         POLKOSNI%QCVAX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>Subject:      Even more enhancement

> [...]
>Also, is there a source of software for the 802? It's supposed to be
>compatible with the 816 in the gs, so I was wondering if stuff can be
>ported between the two. (stuff not using //gs graphics or other hardware
>specific type stuff)

It's not just the *hardware*-specific stuff that will make IIgs software
incompatible with your 65802--it's FIRMWARE and ADDRESSING MODES.  Nearly
all IIgs software makes extensive use of the TOOLBOX routines in ROM.  They
will start JSLing to $E10000 to make tool calls.  Also, the 65802 only has
a 16-bit address bus (not the full 24 of the 65816), so it doesn't have
all the neat addressing modes, right?

I think some of the Merlin utilities make use of the 65802 if you have one,
but I don't know of much other software that does.

> >walter<

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (05/26/88)

In article <8805260015.aa25951@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:

>Also, the 65802 only has
>a 16-bit address bus (not the full 24 of the 65816), so it doesn't have
>all the neat addressing modes, right?

Actually the 65802 a real 65816 inside.  You get all the addressing modes,
however the 8 bits high address bits (the bank) never leave the chip.

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (05/27/88)

In article <792@geowhiz.UUCP> *I* scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) writes:

>Actually the 65802 a real 65816 inside.  You get all the addressing modes,
>however the 8 bits high address bits (the bank) never leave the chip.

Actually the 65802 has a real 65816 inside.  You get all the addressing modes,
however the 8 high address bits (the data ban) never leave the chip.

Scott Kempf				  Maybe Nancy is right. . .  Nah.  --Me
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.cs.wisc.edu          PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.cs.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

pete@pro-europa.cts.com (Peter Creath) (02/03/90)

Merlin Pro supports the 6502, 65C02, and the 65802 (or 65C802)
It is basically a 16-bit, 6502-compatible chip.  I'm not sure how fast it
runs, or anything else about it...

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!pete
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!pete@nosc.mil
INET: pete@pro-europa.cts.com