[comp.sys.apple] Ray-tracing on IIgs

ronl@pro-generic.cts.com (Ron Lewin) (02/04/90)

There is one ray-tracing application which I know of for the Apple IIgs...
it's called Fractal Mountain Generator, and the program will generate fractal
landscapes and optionally ray-trace them in SHR on a GS.  Fractal Mountain
Generator is available for download on GEnie and in the graphics section of
America Online.  The ray-tracing compenent is trig-intensive and takes about 4
hours to complete on a stock GS, however ray-tracing is optional.

The program was written entirely with Micol Advanced BASIC GS, and when you
buy MAB-gs, you get the source code for Fractal Mountain Generator for free.

RE: MD-BASIC...

I find this misleading.  For one thing, the system is called a compiler, when
the end result is code which is interepreted Applesoft.  Calling the system a
BASIC compiler leads people to beleive that it produces machine language, when
in fact it does not.  As well, it is being called a new GS BASIC... does this
system produce code which can use all the memory of a GS?  Does it produce
programs which can use SHR and Ensoniq sound?  Does it produce code which
uses GS/OS?  No, I dont think it does, and I think that other than the fact
that you need a GS to use it under APW, it cannot be considered a GS BASIC.

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (02/04/90)

ronl@pro-generic.cts.com (Ron Lewin) writes:
> There is one ray-tracing application which I know of for the Apple IIgs...
> it's called Fractal Mountain Generator, and the program will generate fractal
> landscapes and optionally ray-trace them in SHR on a GS.  Fractal Mountain
> Generator is available for download on GEnie and in the graphics section of
> America Online.  The ray-tracing compenent is trig-intensive and takes about 4
> hours to complete on a stock GS, however ray-tracing is optional.

  Could someone grab this and put it on comp.binaries.apple2 for those
of us that aren't on AO or Genie?

		-Greg T.