[comp.sys.apple] Binscii

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) (02/21/89)

First of all, I think the idea is great ;-)

However;
  I hate scrolling counters (Hard on the eyes) !-(  (squint)
  I like to know what file is being worked on.

Suggestions:
  Only perform a return (No Line-feed) when displaying the counter.
  Display the active file/path as soon as it is known.
  Supply more info relating to what actions are occuring.

These suggestions arise due to problems I had working with the anima examples..
Browsing the file, I assumed that there were to be two files generated, since
I saw two of the file headers (FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt) in the file.

After running thru two count-ups, I only had one file created.
I had no idea if the files were combined into one, one of the files was lost
due to insufficient disk space, or if the second file wrote over the first,
or if there was really only one file to be converted.
--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/26/89)

In article <1238@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) writes:

>First of all, I think the idea is great ;-)
>
>However;
>  I hate scrolling counters (Hard on the eyes) !-(  (squint)
>  I like to know what file is being worked on.
>
>Suggestions:
>  Only perform a return (No Line-feed) when displaying the counter.
>  Display the active file/path as soon as it is known.
>  Supply more info relating to what actions are occuring.

Sorry about that counter business...It was debugging stuff not
intended to get out. v1.01 no longer has that 'feature'.

I'll put something in to tell the user what's going on during the pack
and unpack procedures. That should be nice...

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link. Send me bug reports.           I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca (Ryan Lanctot) (03/15/89)

A friend of mine is having some problems running the latest version of
Binscii on his GS.  It keeps giving the error Internal error #4B.  We tried it
on my //e with the same results.  There must be something we're doing wrong, butwhat? Thanks in advance.

Ryan Lanctot
<rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca>

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (03/18/89)

In article <144*rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca> rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca (Ryan Lanctot) writes:
>A friend of mine is having some problems running the latest version of
>Binscii on his GS.  It keeps giving the error Internal error #4B.  We tried it
>on my //e with the same results.  There must be something we're doing wrong, but
>what? Thanks in advance.

Error #4B is an improper storage type error. That means that the file being
used/created/whatever was not identified as either a seedling, sapling, tree,
or directory (that's all there is ProDOS). Could you tell me *exactly* what
you were doing?

>Ryan Lanctot
><rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca>

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

kevinb@pro-ldm.cts.com (Kevin Baurer) (04/02/89)

I need a copy of BinSCII.  The board I'm using now does not have it in the
Apple2-L section, and I don't have access to FTP any longer.

Where can I get a copy?

Thanks...---KjB

UCCP:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!kevinb           INET: kevinb@pro-ldm.cts.com
ARPA:     crash!pnet01!kevinb@pro-ldm.nosc.mil
ProLine:  kevinb@pro-ldm

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (04/03/89)

I found that all the problems I was having with Binscii are because
Proterm's Kermit transfer makes a mess of Binscii files, now if
we only knew why?   :^)

I won't be posting anything in binscii until I can download it to check
it out.
--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,

People keep asking me if Shell or Daemon are compatible with the IIc, IIe.
YES, I wrote them on my Laser 128.  I mean, what would be the challenge to
multitasking on a IIgs?  I'll start writing dedicated gs programs when
somebody sends me one in the mail.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/06/89)

The odds are that if ProTerm Kermit is messing up Binscii it is also messing
up anything else - Executioner, source code, etc.
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (10/15/89)

It would appear that I finally have need of Binscii.  (I gather that is
NOT the same thing as Binary II.)  Is it FTP'able from anywhere?  If
not, I'll have to repeat the request I saw Rick Ewing made not too long
ago for some kind soul (here come fifty copies ...)  to send me one in
executioner format.

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (10/16/89)

thanks to all who pointed me to the archives where binscii was kept (as
well a couple of copies directly.)  I also discovered I needed shrinkit,
but found that on the umich archives too.

no more responses needed!

Ted Lee <TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>

n8948315@unicorn.WWU.EDU (arthur morgan) (12/23/89)

I am looking for a copy of BinScII so that I can make use of all these nice
programs that I am seeing over the net over in the comp.binaries.apple area.
(I need to be able to unpack these files into a form which ShrinkIT or
ProDOS can understand.)

If anybody can email me or post the number and location of a BBS which has
this software available (assuming it is shareware or freeware, of course)
for downloading, I would be very happy.

King Arthur

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (01/09/90)

I have seen a lot of program postings that appear to need a program
called Binscii to use them.  Can anyone email me the package with the
instructions, etc.?  The last time I used GEnie and the like, I needed
to use BLU, which I have, and which doesn't seem to be used anymore.

--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/04/90)

In article <13558@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:
[chop]
>The moral: BINSCII ANYTHING YOU PLACE ON THE NET!  Fine, it takes 33%
>longer to upload and download, but then it's 99% more likely to work
>(notice how often even a BINSCII file gets munged--binary files are 10
>times more fragile...).  All it takes in one stupid EBCDIC computer to
>munge a binary file.
>
>The mini/mainframe world hasn't learned what 8-bit binary data is yet,
>so please, BINSCII all binary files!

Along these lines, is there a version of sciibin that can create binscii
files?  I haven't had time to figure out how to do it yet.

>			Kent Dickey
>kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.