[comp.sys.apple] Run Time Libraries

sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (02/03/90)

 RTL's are an interesting concept. Anybody care to EXPLAIN it? I have a
perfect use for it, but can only find minimal documentation. Those I have
found are in the APWv1.02 manual refering to the that although RTL's exist,
the standard APW/ORCA linker does not support the building of RTL's or the
linking of a file requiring the use of an RTL. As I understand it, a program
that requires an RTL when it gets linked, the RTL is checked, but the object
code within the RTL is NOT linked into the main program, rather a pathname
segment is created in the final load file. As I understand it, the jumptable
segment (correct name?) will resolve the access to a routine in a RTL by
the RTL should be invisible. But what extra code would be required to make
sure that the RTL is loaded correctly and from the right place upon execution.

Will the standard APW linker in v2.0 support the RTL concept?

Took a good look at the ROM3 motherboard, looks awefully a lot like another
motherboard I know...

:)

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sysop
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sysop@nosc.mil
INET: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com

In article <9815.infoapple.net@pro-generic> sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

> RTL's are an interesting concept. Anybody care to EXPLAIN it? I have a
>perfect use for it, but can only find minimal documentation. Those I have
>found are in the APWv1.02 manual refering to the that although RTL's exist,
>the standard APW/ORCA linker does not support the building of RTL's or the
>linking of a file requiring the use of an RTL. As I understand it, a program
>that requires an RTL when it gets linked, the RTL is checked, but the object
>code within the RTL is NOT linked into the main program, rather a pathname
>segment is created in the final load file. As I understand it, the jumptable
>segment (correct name?) will resolve the access to a routine in a RTL by
>the RTL should be invisible. But what extra code would be required to make
>sure that the RTL is loaded correctly and from the right place upon execution.

This is all basically correct, as I understand it.  When the Loaders need to
get something from a Run-Time Library, they look for the file in the Libraries
prefix (2/, usually */System/Libs).  Not finding it is a fatal system error,
methinks.  To my knowledge, little or no "extra" code is required to load the
routines from the run-time library ("RTL" is an accurate but dumb abbreviation
which is just one more reason I can't stand those things...).

>Will the standard APW linker in v2.0 support the RTL concept?

The APW/ORCA linkers do not create run-time libraries.  LinkIIgs, which is
scheduled to be in APW 2.0 and is already at APDA in the APW 1.1 tools update
package, will create run-time libraries and programs that use them.  See the
LinkIIgs documentation for more details.

>UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sysop
>ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sysop@nosc.mil
>INET: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."