[comp.sys.apple] Davex

CN0001JT@UKCC.BITNET (_ Jeff _) (11/01/87)

I heard that "Davex" was going to be up on APPLE2-L .... was there a
problem with it ??

                  Just curious.
Acknowledge-To: <CN0001JT@UKCC>

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("MAJ ERIC S. FORD") (12/09/87)

The recent post describing DAVEX was the second time this particular article
has appeared on Info-Apple but the program (identified as shareware) has yet to
show up on the LISTSERVer.  I admit to curiosity and wonder if one of the folks
posting the descriptions might consider sending a copy of this ware to
APPLE2-L?

Eric S. Ford
------

gallo@fstvax.dec.com (Ralph's Pretty Good Grocery.) (12/16/87)

		Could someone please post Davex? I had no problem figuring out
	how to get ECP-8 running,so I figure I can get Davex going.

		I have been a registered owner of Copy ][+ since version 5 and
	for a while I got update notices.I haven't seen one recently,tho'.

		Tom Gallo.

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (04/23/88)

The new DAVEX is great. The vstore and vrestore commands allow the image of
/RAM (or any other volume) to be copied to disk and restored later. This cuts
down on the bootup time incredibly. You've got to try this program to believe
it.

CLAP100@BGUNOS.BITNET (Eran Lachs) (05/16/88)

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX writes :
  I downloaded the update of Davex, and discovered a slight problem.  Has
anyone gotten the help file to work?  I can read text in the first half, but
I can't get any later commands.  Has anyone else had this problem?  By the way,
this is the one off of apple2-l.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
  I too encountered the very same problem.
  Could Jeffrey Alan Ding post the two help files, this time in working

Eran Lachs, Ben Gurion University, Israel.

cscbrkac@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (05/16/88)

>>   I downloaded the update of Davex, and discovered a slight problem.  Has
>> anyone gotten the help file to work?  I can read text in the first half, but
>> I can't get any later commands.  Has anyone else had this problem?  By the
>> way, this is the one off of apple2-l.  Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> I too encountered the very same problem.
> Could Jeffrey Alan Ding post the two help files, this time in working
> condition? The rest of Davex is realy excellent.
>
> Eran Lachs, Ben Gurion University, Israel.

Assuming the Davex from APPLE2-L and comp.binaries.apple2 are the same, the
copy posted WAS in working condition.  My copy (from c.b.apple2) works fine.

If you are using "stripexec" on the files before you download them, this is
where your problem comes from.  At the end of the second half of the helpfile
(as posted) are a few commands to combine the two posted halves into the
working version of the file.  These commands are removed by stripexec.  Just
remove the header and trailer from the second file by hand and it'll work fine
when you exec them together.

If you still have problems, see if you can get someone to email the thing to
you.  Only two or three people have complained about problems and it's kind of
a waste to repost for that few people.

--
Lazlo Nibble (cscbrkac@charon.unm.edu)       "Sailboats of ice on desert sand"

jon@cisunx.UUCP (Jon M. Pearsall) (05/17/88)

I too am having problems with the help files.  I get the first entry ("topics")
but following entries give a "bad file position" error or something like that.

Every once in a while I am able to get help on a topic.

Sometimes I get a completely different entry than the one I asked for.  In
these cases, the first line is usually scrambled garbage.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jon Pearsall,  University of Pittsburgh =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= !pitt!cisunx!jon                      As the Zorg closes in, Spaceman Spiff =

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (05/17/88)

In article <8805152033.aa27615@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CLAP100@BGUNOS.BITNET (Eran Lachs) writes:
>SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX writes :
>  I downloaded the update of Davex, and discovered a slight problem.  Has
>anyone gotten the help file to work?  I can read text in the first half, but
>I can't get any later commands.  Has anyone else had this problem?  By the way,
>this is the one off of apple2-l.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>--
>  I too encountered the very same problem.
>  Could Jeffrey Alan Ding post the two help files, this time in working
>condition? The rest of Davex is realy excellent.
>
>Eran Lachs, Ben Gurion University, Israel.

I have downloaded all the files from both comp.binaries.apple2 and apple2-l.
I have had absolutely no problems with the help files.

Check your file.  It should 102 blocks long.  If it isn't, it didn't save
properly.  What you have to do is exec the FIRST file FIRST and the SECOND
file SECOND.  If you do it the other way, the help file will not be created.
The help file originally was too large for executioner and would not
compress using BLU (turned out to be 100%.)  There are Prodos commands at the
end of the SECOND help file.  These commands combine the two files into
one.

I have heard from one person that the old version of basic (BASIC.SYSTEM 1.0)
has a bug and the B parameter doesn't work properly (the b parameter stands
for BYTE and I do use it.)  Try to get the new version of basic if you
are using the old one.

Also don't have any external commands tacked onto Basic.  I got a
no buffers available error when I exec-ed the file.  (It might have just
been my external command.)

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

| arpanet: neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                        |
|    UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!csd4!neighbor                                        |

mitchellr@UV4.EGLIN.AF.MIL ("MAJ RICHARD S. MITCHELL") (11/25/88)

Being relatively new to the net, could someone please tell me what DAVEX is and what significance it has to the Apple //c community?  As always, no explanation is too simple.
					Thanks,
						Rick

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (12/01/88)

A little background.  The Apple II series primary operating system (as sold
by Apple) are the Prodos 8 and GS/OS pair.  These operating systems have no
user interface to them built in; like Unix and MS-DOS (as well as some others)
the user interface is user-provided.  The two Apple user interfaces are
known as Basic.System and Finder.  These allow you to see Disk catalogs,
launch programs , rename files, etc.

In the past few years a number of alternate user interfaces have appeared.
The primary ones that I have tried are:

ProSel - highly touted around the US by its users.  This is a menu based
   program launcher which also comes with dozens of other programs to do
     disk editing, cataloging, renaming, etc.  Note that there is no
     text editor in this package - it surprizes me that the one remaining
     item that one would need in using a computer is not in this package!
     Updates can be downloaded from CIS , Genie and perhaps elsewhere
     for 'free' by authorized users, or purchased for $5 a disk from the
     author.  If you buy this package from the author you get this type
     of support - if you get the software elsewhere you get no support
     from the author, Glen Bredon of NJ.

ECP - Actually, this is a 2 pronged program - ECP8 is the Prodos 8 interface
	and ECP16 is the GS/OS interface.  This one is by D. Elton (of
	TIC fame) and is a great interface.  It is my primary one due to
	having seen it first .  It is a command line oriented interface,
	and has a minimal scripting capability (some variables, logic,
	function key support, etc.)  ECP16 also has command history and
	a number of other good features.  Look for some interesting developments
	in ECP in the upcoming months if the rumors that I hear are true!

Davex - Dave Lyons has written this comand line interpreter.  It is available
	as shareware (as is ECP currently).  It has output and input
	redirection, command aliasing, supports a number of hardware
	configurations, etc.  Quite a nice package.

There is also something called Command.Com which is another command interpreter
which I have only heard about.  There are also numerous other program
launcher type programs such as jumpstart, etc.

If you are a 'programming type' and like to run commands with arguments,
change directories, etc. I reccommend using a command line interpreter like
ECP or Davex.  See the Apple2-L archives for at least Davex and perhaps even
ECP!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

aash@ms.uky.edu (aashi deacon) (12/02/88)

In article <714@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>If you are a 'programming type' and like to run commands with arguments,
>change directories, etc. I reccommend using a command line interpreter like
>ECP or Davex.  See the Apple2-L archives for at least Davex and perhaps even
>ECP!

Where is this archive?  Is is FTPable?  Have to sign up?

--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu

' The floating eye is poked in the eye! '

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (12/05/88)

> >If you are a 'programming type' and like to run commands with arguments,
> >change directories, etc. I reccommend using a command line interpreter like
> >ECP or Davex.  See the Apple2-L archives for at least Davex and perhaps even
> >ECP!
> >

> Where is this archive?  Is is FTPable?  Have to sign up?

No, it is not FTPable.  You can either send interactive commands to
the listserver (LISTSERV@BROWNVM) or include the commands as the
content of your mail.  To get an index of all of the files available,
try the command:

      INDEX APPLE2-L

To obtain one of the files, try the command:

      GET APPLE2-L yy-nnnnn

where "yy" and "nnnnn" are the numbers shown in the filetype column
of the index.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

yk4@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Yong Su Kim) (10/25/89)

	Is there ever going to be a version of DAVEX which will work with
GS/OS system 5.0? I know a friend who is using it and he has problems with
compatibility. It would be great if there will be a new version...
|Internet: yk4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu   |||||||The Korean from Hong Kong.||||||
|Bitnet  : yk4@cunixc			|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|UUCP    : rutgers!columbia!cunixc!yk4  ||||||||||...Apple IIGS user...||||||||
|_______________________________________|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) (12/07/89)

>I am posting this for a friend of mine who is trying to use Davex.  I think he
>said his problem is something with the online help.  He says he gets a "file
>not found" problem.  I have looked at the docs and the I know about putting
>the file in the help directory.  We did that.  The file (I forget it's name)
>has a file type of 00.  Is that right?  He really can't use the program because
>the docs don't explain enough and of course the online help doesn't work so...

Yes, the INDEXED.HELP file is supposed to have filetype $00 (it'll have a
Real filetype in the next version), and it needs to go in a directory called
"help" -inside- whatever directory you're running Davex from.  (For example,
if the Davex application's path is /h1/davex/davex, your "%" directory is
/h1/davex, and your help directory is /h1/davex/help.)

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875
   America Online: Dave Lyons                |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

Well we did it but no go.  He loads Davex into his ram disk /expand so his
"%" is /expand/unix and his help directory is /expand/unix/help.  The help
file is index.help, size 102 blocks, type $00.  Now I am starting to get
interested in Davex.  It really could be configured to be like Unix.  Can
some of the commands be changed directly because cat in Unix lists a file
but in Applesoft it's a directory listing.  Davex has cat aliased as ls,
great!, but cat can't be used as a file listing.  What a catch 22!!!!
Add in file completion, a mini version of vi as an editor, and somehow
get the help working and I would make this THE shell of choice.
By the way this letter has taken me about 20 minutes to write because
I am in the process of learning the Dvorak keyboard.  Who was it who
said Dvorak was fast?  Boy are they wrong!!! :^)
At this rate I will never finish my program that is due tomorrow.  I think
I'm typing at about 50 baud.  What are words per minute? :^)

Dave Jansen (The Gilded One)
eldorado@en.ecn.purdue.edu

"I'm a self-made man who worships his creator"

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/07/89)

In article <8912062007.AA20278@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, eldorado@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (David D Jansen) writes:
> >I am posting this for a friend of mine who is trying to use Davex.  I think he
> Well we did it but no go.  He loads Davex into his ram disk /expand so his
> "%" is /expand/unix and his help directory is /expand/unix/help.  The help
> file is index.help, size 102 blocks, type $00.  Now I am starting to get

I also use DAVEX and run it from /ram. I boot DAVEX from the 3.5 disk and then
use it to load itself and whatever else I'm using into /ram. I load DAVEX, the
help files (if I use them) and any other DAVEX related files into a directory
call /ram/davex . The important thing to remember in this case is to enter
the command /ram/davex/davex after loading to run DAVEX from the /ram/davex
directory. DAVEX looks for it's commands in the last directory it was ran from.
I'm not sure if this is your problem or not but I hope it helps.

Bob Church
att!oucsace!bchurch

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (12/09/89)

I tried to use the font option to the utility iw2 and BOOM!  It crashed into
the monitor.  Does anyone know what happened?

This is the first time ANYTHING in Davex crashed - is it just me or did I
find a bug?

    /// david ///

--
!======= David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI =======!== The Stainless Steel Rat ==!
!  ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !                             !

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/05/90)

In article <15245.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) writes:
>[...]
>Doesn't Dave Lyons' Davex come pretty close to giving you Unix
>commands and file redirection?
>
>Mark Munz

Yes.  It doesn't try -too- hard to be just like csh, but it definitely
has that flavor.

It doesn't do multitasking (but it does do print spooling); the redirection
syntax is weird, but it does redirect (to files and slots).  It doesn't
do pipes, but it does have a history buffer, wildcards, and commands with
lots of nifty "-x" options.

Version 1.23 is the latest released version--I'm about to release 1.25,
which (among lots of other things) removes one of the biggest annoyances
to Unix folks:  the old one makes you put your pathnames -before- all
your "-x" options (in 1.25 you can do it in whatever order you want).
This makes my aliases much more useful, since there is no parameter
substitution into the aliases.

I'll post 1.25 to comp.binaries.apple2 in a couple of days, and I'll
post the release notes here.