[comp.sys.apple] Drive Controllers

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (02/02/90)

In article <15800039@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Sounds like an interesting problem.  I also have a DuoDisk on my IIe, though
>I'm far from filing up slots (Apple Ext. 80-Col. Card in the aux. slot, Apple
>SSC in slot 1, AE DataLink 2400 in slot 2, DuoDisk controller in slot 6).
>Here are some random thoughts that might help.
>
>Utilico Software's EDD 4 Plus included a custom disk controller for the Disk
>II.  If you had a DuoDisk, you has to pay extra--presumably for an adapter.
>Moving on to other products, there are more adapters that are sold by companies
>that sell Disk II-type 5.25" drives that let you use these drives as Smartport
>drives on, say, a IIGS.  Since 3.5" drives are Smartport drives, it may be
>possible to connect a DuoDisk to the usual daisychain by getting one of the EDD
>adapters to turn the DuoDisk into two Disk IIs, and then getting two of the
>Smartport adapters to turn your "Disk II'd" DuoDisk into two Smartport drives.
>
>Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a product I've seen advertised by (I think) Central Pointe Software (or
something like that) - it's called the "Universal Disk Controller."

As I recall, it claims to be able to handle 2 3.5 drive (eiter A3.5 or
Unidisk 3.5) AND 2 Disk ][ compatable drives (or a single DuoDrive 5.25)

I've seen these ads in several magazines including InCider/A+

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/02/90)

In article <2448@ttardis.UUCP> rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:

>There is a product I've seen advertised by (I
>think) Central Pointe Software (or
>something like that) - it's called the "Universal Disk Controller."
>
>As I recall, it claims to be able to handle 2 3.5 drive (eiter A3.5 or
>Unidisk 3.5) AND 2 Disk ][ compatable drives (or a single DuoDrive 5.25)
>
>I've seen these ads in several magazines including InCider/A+

I have one of those Universal Disk controller cards I'm not using
and have been looking to sell for over a month.  However I don't
believe it works with a duodisk.  I think the duodisk has a special
card for just the duodisk...

You see the UDC doesn't like daisy chained drives, it has two cable out
the back, and expects the two drives to be connected one to each
cable...

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (02/03/90)

In article <7550@wpi.wpi.edu>, greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:

>In article <2448@ttardis.UUCP> rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
>>
>>As I recall, it claims to be able to handle 2 3.5 drive (eiter A3.5 or
>>Unidisk 3.5) AND 2 Disk ][ compatable drives (or a single DuoDrive 5.25)
>>
>>I've seen these ads in several magazines including InCider/A+
>
>I have one of those Universal Disk controller cards I'm not using
>and have been looking to sell for over a month.  However I don't
>believe it works with a duodisk.  I think the duodisk has a special
>card for just the duodisk...
>
>You see the UDC doesn't like daisy chained drives, it has two cable out
>the back, and expects the two drives to be connected one to each
>cable...

Do you mean the 5.24 drives?

An aquaintence of mine once used a UDC on his //e to control:
	a) 1 5.25 drive
and:
	b) 2 3.5 drives
           ^

I don't recall the arrangement of connections, but I would think that
at least the 2 3.5 drives where daisy chained.

(I *KNOW* that he *ONLY* had the one disk controller - the UDC)

BTW: the DuoDisk 5.25 does work the IIgs disk port (or at least it
did with the original ROM - I sold my DuoDisk before the 1st ROM
upgrade was announced - though I wouldn't be surprised if it no longer
works - with the original ROM (and system disk) I WAS able to connect my
IIgs to AppleTalk to use a LaserWriter - after the "upgrade," I had to
wait for Apple to release a loadable driver for AppleTalk.

- Ron Wilson
rlw@ttardis

mrn31796@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/03/90)

When you buy your 3.5 in drive the controller for that will be like
the universal drive controller made by MPD.  Here's what you can do
if you can get by with only on 5.25 drive.  If you have a duodisk
5.25 set you can plug them into the back of the 3.5 in drive.  What
I mean is you can daisychain them.  If you have the older disk II
drives you can get a cable with the mail end that plugs into the
back of the 3.5 in drive and on the other end of the cable get the
female end 20 pin that connects it the card inside of the disk drive.
If you take the drive cover off you will see exactly what I mean.
I can guarantee this method will work because I have done it before.

				Hope this helps,
					Mike Neuliep

E-mail to: mrn31796@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu   [Tag under construction]

mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) (02/06/90)

Speaking of converters for old disk ][s to make them hook up to a smart port
does anybody know where to buy these, because i cant solder those damn wires
to a plug, i've tried...what a bitch...

--
[Mitch Berry (Thrashing Rage)|UUCP:mitch@rbdc.UUCP|PROLINE:thrash@pro-Dchamber]
"I want to play my music, As loud as I please. I want to grow my hair down to