[comp.sys.apple] Hypercard GS

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (11/11/89)

> I hope that if this GS Hypercard thing is true, they get help from Roger
> Wagner, as his HyperStudio is too nice a package.

Yes, HyperStudio is nice, and Roger Wagner himself is terrific.

But HyperStudio IS NOT Hypercard, and we would have had HyperCard a year ago,
according to my sources, if Apple had not agreed to give RW some breathing
room to make a profit from his product, which happened along at a critical
moment.

Personally, I've had good software buried before by announcements of similar
p[roducts by megacompanies, and so I don't have a lot of sympathy for Roger
Wagner. If his company had a product as good as or better than Hypercard, it
should not be afraid to compete in the open market. Otherwise, it would seem
that federal antitrust laws have been violated. As have we.

Joe Abernathy

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (11/12/89)

Does anyone know of a way for a person who doesnt own HyperStudio to
be able to 'use' the stacks?  I mean, I have programs which play Music Studio
files, I have programs to display paint files, I have programs to read text
files - one doesnt HAVE to own many programs to make use of the output from
them.  It just seems like in an educational environment, requiring all
students to pay $99 or more to be able to use the educational stacks that a
teacher might write is a bit much in today's society - if I cannot afford that
much, I would guess that many parents cannot either.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

gentrys@ingr.com (Scott Gentry) (11/14/89)

In article <2406.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc>, lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:

> Does anyone know of a way for a person who doesnt own HyperStudio to
> be able to 'use" the stacks?

Larry,

In a short reply, yes.  An AFL on America Online is working on licensing the
demonstration version for uploading and user downloading.  The difference
in versions (full vs. demo) is standard, you can't save with the demo.

--
*Scott Gentry             |UUCP:uunet!ingr!gentrys    |                   *
*Intergraph Corporation   |America Online: AFL Scott  |I speak for myself *

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (11/15/89)

> Does anyone know of a way for a person who doesnt own HyperStudio to
> be able to 'use' the stacks?  I mean, I have programs which play Music Studio

.Roger Wagner said that he had been working on a run-time version of
HyperStudio, but that its development was place on hold while the latest
version of HS was being worked upon. I spoke with him recently and asked about
the run-time version, and he indicated that the project was still "under
consideration". He has had many requests for the application, and I think that
we will see it sometime next spring.

:Edward

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward                  ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil      CIS: 73220.1624@compuserve.com
INET: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com                   America Online: EdwardF4
BITNET: edward%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 GEnie: E.FLODEN

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (11/18/89)

download HyperCard stacks " (sorry, not a direct quote)

HyperStudio has only a surface resemblance to HyperCard.  The functionality
that makes HyperCard great is that folks with access to computers but without
special programming education can make some *amazing* applications.  HyperCard's
scripting language HyperTalk is what makes all the difference.

*
(C'mon Apple...get out that HyperCard IIgs)
(I've got real hypertext for HyperCard, now I just need it for the computer
I can afford to own, the IIgs.)

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (11/18/89)

Thanks!  I was curious.  Will you let us know when this is completed?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
                                CIS:    75046,606

mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) (02/04/90)

About Hyperstudio...i thought apple was gonna buy out the product and call
it hypercard iigs or something...like they did with awgs....how musch is
the list price for hyperstudio anyways...?

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/06/90)

In article <999@rbdc.UUCP> mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) writes:

> About Hyperstudio...i thought apple was gonna buy out the product and call
> it hypercard iigs or something...like they did with awgs....how musch is
> the list price for hyperstudio anyways...?

FLAME

Let's get something straight: Apple did **NOT** buy AppleWorks GS.  Claris did.
(More correctly, Claris bought StyleWare, thereby accquiring rights to
GSWorks cum AppleWorks GS (AWGS).)  Claris and Apple are not one and the same;
Apple owns Claris, but it is a separate legal entity.  For example:  we don't
know any more about a ROM 4 GS than what we've heard here on comp.sys.apple.

EMALF

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/06/90)

In article <WOMBAT.90Feb5134454@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>GSWorks cum AppleWorks GS (AWGS).)  Claris and Apple are not one and the same;
>Apple owns Claris, but it is a separate legal entity.  For example:  we don't

I thought Claris was completely spun off of Apple into its own company.
Shortly after that happened, Claris ran ads saying that such was true.  I could
be wrong, though--after all, you work for Claris!

Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
          free0066@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV