[comp.sys.apple] GSOS expert wanted

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (02/02/90)

Hi!  I have been trying to get an answer to this problem for about 9 months
now - I hope now that folks are more familar with 5.0.2 someone can help me.

I have a IIgs with a 1.5 meg card.  I have an Apple 5.25" card in slot 6 and 2
Apple brand 5.25" drives plugged in.  I have an Apple 3.5" disk plugged into
the drive port and a Unidisk 3.5" plugged into that.  I have the slots set to
defaults except for slot 6, which I set to my card.  I have the boot set to
slot 5.

I boot up 5.0.2 and all is well.  I have the 5.25" driver, the Unidisk driver,
the midi driver (i have tried with and without this one), and the imagewriter
ii driver.  I do NOT have any personal inits, fonts, or das installed.  I boot
from a disk in the Apple (not Uni) 3.5" drive.   I bring up a GSOS program,
I dont think that it matters, but for example the TextDisplay program -
by double clicking on its icon from the finder.  The program is on the disk in
the UNIDRIVE.

It comes up.  I pull down the file menu and select open.  I get the File
selection dialog box.  The file that I want is not in the Unidrive.  I change
drives (to ram5, then the Apple drive).  Meanwhile, I hit the eject button on
the UNIDRIVE, pull out the disk, and insert another disk.  I change drives
again.  At least 60% of the time, the selection box continues to display the
original drive.  And I have messed up the root directory of such a disk by
trying to click on entries in the list.

If ANYONE out there has a fix for this - so that File selection knows that I
have changed disks on the Unidisk - PLEASE let me know!

P.S.  The 5.0.2 system disk was created by using the Installer for the
original 5.0 disk, and then the 5.0.2 script to update the disk.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/04/90)

In article <4934.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:

   drives (to ram5, then the Apple drive).  Meanwhile, I hit the eject button on
   the UNIDRIVE, pull out the disk, and insert another disk.  I change drives
   again.  At least 60% of the time, the selection box continues to display the
   original drive.  And I have messed up the root directory of such a disk by
   trying to click on entries in the list.

Is there any reason why you don't use the file dialog EJECT button to
eject the disk.  I have a feeling that the same would happen with the
APPLE dirve if you ejected a disk with the paper clip method while
traversing your devices.

-paul
pnakada@oracle.com

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/04/90)

I think you need to forget that your drives have an "eject" button.  If you
want to eject a disk, use the buttons provided in the dialog boxes, or the
Eject command in the File (?) menu of the Finder.  This way the OS knows what
you're doing.  It's why the drives that are built-in to the Macintosh don't
have an eject button.  (Of course you can hit Command-E in the Finder and still
try to fool the Mac, but it will simply ask you to put the disk back in a
drive.)  The eject button is provided primarily so that you can use the drives
with one of the classic IIs, as they don't have the Finder or anything like it.
Automatic ejection is still possible on these machines, but it depends on
whether or not a program uses it (Copy II Plus, for example, does).

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
          free0066@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

In article <4934.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:

>If ANYONE out there has a fix for this - so that File selection knows that I
>have changed disks on the Unidisk - PLEASE let me know!
>
>Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden

I finally figured this one out about three weeks ago.  All of Apple's drivers
were made "restartable" when 5.0 came out, so they don't have to be reloaded
from disk when coming back from P8.  The only exception is the 5.25" driver,
which would have real design issues with restartability.

Well, the UniDisk driver doesn't restart properly.  Engineering has since
determined that on startup it converts a table of offsets to addresses, but
doesn't convert them back to offsets on a warm shutdown, so the next time it
tries to start up, it takes the old addresses as offsets, and toasts only a
few portions of the driver (like the one looking for switched disks).

If you have the 5.0 documentation, you can use a block editor to change the
beginning of the driver to not be restartable (fixing the actual problem in
restarting requires recompiling; we'll fix it on the next System Disk).  I
can't tell you how to do it now because I'm using my machine with the patched
driver on it and can't go comparing it to the original.  I'll look later,
though.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (02/05/90)

In article <15800054@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I think you need to forget that your drives have an "eject" button.  If you
>want to eject a disk, use the buttons provided in the dialog boxes, or the
>Eject command in the File (?) menu of the Finder.  This way the OS knows what
>you're doing.  It's why the drives that are built-in to the Macintosh don't
>have an eject button.
>
>Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the _Apple IIgs Firmware Reference_ (Apple's book - published
jointly by Apple and Addison-Wesley), the Smartport firmware sets a flag
when a disk is ejcted from a A3.5, Unidisk 3.5, or any other Smartport device
that reports this event back to the Smartport driver.

In theory, the OS checks ALL of the device status flags - If GS System 5 is
getting confused, that would mean some one forgot to do the status checks.

BTW: SCSI interfaces are also supposed to provide these same flags - but
as of rev C, Apple's SCSI card doesn't set the disk-ejected flag.

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/06/90)

/* Written  8:24 am  Feb  2, 1990 by lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */
/* ---------- "GSOS expert wanted" ---------- */
[...]

*********

OK, stop right here.
After you insert the 5.25 disk into the drive, the smartport has no way
ok knowing that you just switched disks.  You then have to click on the
grey disk icon in the finder in order for the finder to realize that you
have switched disk around.  This ought to fix it.

*********

If ANYONE out there has a fix for this - so that File selection knows that I
have changed disks on the Unidisk - PLEASE let me know!

P.S.  The 5.0.2 system disk was created by using the Installer for the
original 5.0 disk, and then the 5.0.2 script to update the disk.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614     Aline:  LVIRDEN
                                CIS:    75046,606
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */