[comp.sys.apple] HyperC prodos prob.

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/06/90)

In article <15800057@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I downloaded the Feb 4 version from plains.NoDak
>and can't get the thing to run!

	oops, mine worked fine.

>It unshrinked ok, and all the files seem ok, but when I try running
>'C.SYSTEM'  I get a blank screen with a short line of garbage at the top.

	I got the same screen as shown on the WSM CDOS version, and then
	everything work...

>I can type, but it just ignores anything I type in and gives the line
>of garbage again.  Am I doing something wrong?

	Hope you DID change transfer mode to BINARY before you GET the files.
	And hope you used reliable protocol to download it to your Apple,
	otherwise, I have nothing to say.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

JLS139@psuvm.psu.edu (Abadon) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb5.194208.10602@eng.umd.edu>, cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao
Liao) says:

>In article <15800057@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>I downloaded the Feb 4 version from plains.NoDak
>>and can't get the thing to run!

>    ... Hope you DID change transfer mode to BINARY before you GET the files.
>        And hope you used reliable protocol to download it to your Apple,
>        otherwise, I have nothing to say.

   There is a problem with downloading binary image files from a mainframe
that requires parity checking (such as the 7E1 required here by PSU).
If you are running Kermit on the mainframe to send the files to your
Apple then you should try using Kermit on your Apple to receive the files
as Kermit provides for 8-bit-quoting along you to get all the information.
   I had problems getting binary GIF files using ProTerm until I discovered
this. Now I have no problems when when using Kermit to receive these files.
Just be sure that you have Kermit set to the correct parity and that the
Quote-character is the same for both ends of the connection.
   Hopefully this will help those people that have been having so many problems
FTP-ing binary files.

*-------------------------------*
| ...... Jeff Stine             |
|<JLS139@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>  BITNET |
*-------------------------------*

WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Feb5.194208.10602@eng.umd.edu>, cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao
Liao) says:

>In article <15800057@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>I downloaded the Feb 4 version from plains.NoDak
>>and can't get the thing to run!
>
>	oops, mine worked fine.
>
>>It unshrinked ok, and all the files seem ok, but when I try running
>>'C.SYSTEM'  I get a blank screen with a short line of garbage at the top.

Maybe a couple of questions might find an answer to the problem.

1. Is this machine a //gs?
2. Does Prodos Hyper C run on a //gs?

This seems like a reasonable thing to ask because you say that all the
files unshrinked ok.

glaeske@plains.UUCP (Brian Glaeske) (02/06/90)

In article <90036.195133WPW100@PSUVM.BITNET> WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) writes:

>2. Does Prodos Hyper C run on a //gs?

NO

Brian Glaeske
 -  /|                        glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu  [Internet]
  o.O`   --Ooop ACK!!         glaeske@plains            [BITNET  ]
=(___)=                       ..!uunet!plains!glaeske   [UUCP    ]

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/07/90)

It is a IIgs, ROM 01.

did someone just say it *doesn't* work???

<ugh> all that wasted time...

has anyone got the Prodos Hyper C to work on a GS???

-- rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/07/90)

In article <90036.195133WPW100@PSUVM.BITNET> WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) writes:
>In article <1990Feb5.194208.10602@eng.umd.edu>, cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao
>Liao) says:
>>
>>	oops, mine worked fine.
>
>Maybe a couple of questions might find an answer to the problem.
>
>1. Is this machine a //gs?

	Nope! I have the very original Apple //c with only 128k and 2 drivers.

>2. Does Prodos Hyper C run on a //gs?

	seems to be that doens't work on //gs....