[comp.sys.apple] BBS programs for the ][e/GS

buchho@studsys.mu.edu (buchho) (02/02/90)

In article <90Jan31.225106est.58671@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> MACAUSLANDR@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>I've been looking into setting up a BBS and have looked at several different
>programs.  Unfortunately, none of them measures up to say a Citadel system for
>the IBM/Amiga/ST... I've seen mention in several mention in people's sigs of a
>system called ProLine.  How does it compare to BBS programs for other systems?
>I've currently looked at SBBS and AppleNet, and would appreciate more
>suggestions....

I'll second that request.  I'm a veteran ACOS (yes, ACOS... Abandoned GBBS long
ago) programmer, and lately I've just become fed up with the kind of environ-
ment that I have to work in.  I'd like something as programmable, if not more
so.  I have only heard the names ProLine, SBBS, and AppleNet, but I've never
seen any specs on them, nor have I seen their programmability or looks before.

Come to think of it, I've not seen a BBS system specifically for the IIgs
either.  Wouldn't it be much better to write it in 16 bit code for speed and
include support for such stuff as emulations?  (alright, so I'm an emulation
nut...  The ACOS code I was working on supported seven of 'em, with optional
pulldown menus)  I could think of many, many ideas for such a BBS system, yet
I don't quite have the experience (or the tools) (or the time) to sit down and
figure out the commands, syntaxes, and actually how to write a compiler itself.

Maybe in a few years...

--
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][]-----------------------------------------------+
[]   Jacob S. Buchholz    []  With great intellect, comes an even greater  |

schwam@uncw.UUCP (schwam david samuel) (02/04/90)

In article <90Jan31.225106est.58671@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> MACAUSLANDR@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>I've been looking into setting up a BBS and have looked at several different
>programs.  Unfortunately, none of them measures up to say a Citadel system for
>the IBM/Amiga/ST... I've seen mention in several mention in people's sigs of a
>system called ProLine.  How does it compare to BBS programs for other systems?
>I've currently looked at SBBS and AppleNet, and would appreciate more
>suggestions....

I've never heard of SBBS, but in the past I've had the pleasure of
working with: AppleNet, CMS, GBBS, GBBS "pro" and TeleCat. I worked
with AppleNet for about 2 years.  It was a good system to start out
with, but as I expanded I found it too limited for my needs.  This
past summer I began working with GBBS "pro" and have been very
pleased with it.  It's a bbs that is ready to go almost right out of
the box and is easy to work with/modify.  There is also a new version
of GBBS coming out (one of these days) called Llucy which suposedly
will offer network capabilities.
I'm friendly with one of the Proline sysops and he seems happy with
with the Proline software.  It looks like it is more difficult to
set up, but I have not worked with it directly.  It's a good program
if you plan to run a *BIG* system, otherwise I'd recommend GBBS.

-----------realistically----------.----------conventionally----------
|                                 |                                 |
|                                 |      Box 23906 UNCW-Station     |
|   uncw.uucp!schwam@uncecs.edu   |      Wilmington, NC 28407       |
|                                 |      (919)392-0295              |
|                                 !                                 |
---------------------------------- ----------------------------------

mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) (02/04/90)

Hmm...i recently downloaded a program called "MACOS" written by some "pirate"
types, they totaly re-wrote acos and added lots of stuff 64 security flags
instead of 40, drive specifiers a-z instead of a-m or whatever...but it
uses iigs memory for the editor and various other things..if anybody wants it
(its public domain) let me know...its a WHOLE lot better than acos....
it also has a BUNCH of new commands...and uses the 64k extended emmeory of a
.//e,c,iigs....

--
[Mitch Berry (Thrashing Rage)|UUCP:mitch@rbdc.UUCP|PROLINE:thrash@pro-Dchamber]
"I want to play my music, As loud as I please. I want to grow my hair down to

paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) (02/04/90)

    There is ModemWorks written by Morgan Davis.  It does so many wonderful
things all within an AppleSoft environment (you can stick a little assembly in
there if you wish I suppose).  SBBS, and ProLine were written using this
powerful "utility"...
        Get it..

                                        :: Paul Johnson ::
   UUCP: crash!pro-generic!paulj                Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
   ARPA: crash!pro-generic!paulj@nosc.mil   A
   INET: paulj@pro-generic.cts.co

garym@pro-fishunt.cts.com (System Administrator) (02/05/90)

The Proline software speaks very well for itself. I've listed a few numbers
you can call and see Proline in action. I will list a few of the features you
may like.
1. Programable, easily modified, based on Modemworks, very good support,
   networking e-mail and conferences.
2. Updates sent through Proline network several times a year. Some updates are
   major in scope.
3. Unix like c-shell interface or menu interface for beginners. Many commands
   are Unix commands.

Pro-Colony      214/625-7056
pro-exchange    305/431-3203
pro-tcc         614/471/1265
pro-party       512/829-1027
pro-fishunt     614/775-2056
pro-sol         619/670-5379

Pro-sol is Morgan Davis's board <author of proline and modemworks> and the
support board for the proline software, although many of the veteran proline
sysops are extremly helpful too.

There are many other Proline boards, these are a few that I am familar with.
If you would like a more extensive list e-mail me and I'll send ya a copy.

ProFisHunt BBS              |  ProLine: garym@pro-fishunt
Gary McClain                | INTERNET: crash!garym@pro-fishunt.cts.com
Chillicothe, OH 45601       |     UUCP: crash!pro-fishunt!garym@nosc.mil
614/775-2056 (3/12/24 baud) |   BITNET: garym%pro-fishunt.cts.com@nosc.mil

TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Stef Bracke) (02/06/90)

Hello,

     I am one of the few Belgian APPLE (GS) AND MODEM users.
     So, no Apple network whatsoever overhere. At the moment, I am
     an Apple Area Operator of the local FIDONET-based BBS,
     called OPUS MAGNUM, stationed in Antwerp. To make things easy
     I made myself a point, called The Apple Connection, allthough
     the mailing-program runs on a , yeg|, PC. (BTW; my address
     is 2:295/20.2008 and I am very interested in American
     (preferably Apple-minded) nodes/points to send netmail to.

     So, here's the question: Is there any Appleprogram, that
     is conform to the Fidonet and allows me -MAILING-,
     packing of files (PKARC-compatibility), ANSI-graphics (using a font?...)
     , Z-Modem, etc...

     If not, no hard feelings. It's even better that way: I
     make my own BBS. But it has to be expandable, adaptable
     and usable in a (future) Belgian Apple Net. (My dream, sigh...)
     So allowing: ON-LINE to run programs, (un)packing of mailpackets
     and files, supporting Points, extensive security, totally and
     utterly Apple II-minded, userfriendly ....
     Something completly different from Fidonet, typically Apple.

     There's one mayor problem. I am a student and a European citizen.
     So, I don't have much money and I costs a lot to phone to the USA
     to examine or download BBS-software.
     I would appreciate if someone could send me BY NORMAL MAIL
     such a Apple BBS program. If it's not possible, you can always
     send in through E-Mail, only from March. (We're moving to another
     building).
     I know it's illegal to copy programs, but if I find a suitable
     BBS-program (not the ones I tried from Apple2-L), I would gladly

     mail a box of pralines (you call them chocolates) to the sender.
     (Top quality, hand-made, labeled BONDOUCE, express-delivery)
     Why chocolates? The compagny is just a block away and I think
     everybody likes them.

     My purpose, is to stimulate the use of Apple II's and modems in
     general. People always answer with "There's nothing to phone to"
     when you ask them why they won't use a modem.
     So, without sponsoring and high phonetaxes, I would like to set
     this thing up in the best way possible. (Hope you understand...)

                Greetings,
                          Stef

Stefan Bracke                        | The only things we're famous for
Venneborglaan 77                     | are beer, chocolates, wafels,
2100 Deurne, BELGIUM                 | carpets, French (#?&%|) fries,
00-32-3-325/75/89  (only GMT-hours)  | sprouts, etc...
TE880714 at STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE      | Need anything else ?
University of Saint Ignatius,Antwerp |

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (02/07/90)

You might be interested in knowing that the code falls under the L&L
copyrights for ACOS (since most of the internal code =IS= ACOS) and that the
author of MACOS has signed legal seize-and-desist documents with L&L and as a
side-note, MACOS is, to say the least, slightly buggy.

** IT IS =NOT= PUBLIC DOMAIN  **

Have a nice day...

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

danield@pro-grouch.cts.com (Daniel Davidson) (02/07/90)

>Hmm...i recently downloaded a program called "MACOS" written by some "pirate"
>types, they totaly re-wrote acos and added lots of stuff 64 security flags
>instead of 40, drive specifiers a-z instead of a-m or whatever...but it
>uses iigs memory for the editor and various other things..if anybody wants it
>(its public domain) let me know...its a WHOLE lot better than acos....
>it also has a BUNCH of new commands...and uses the 64k extended emmeory of a
>.//e,c,iigs....

It was not a complete re-write. The fellow who "wrote" it, took ACOS, and
modified it. He did add arrays, support for long integers, and fix all of the
known bugs, And add prodos path name support, but he did not write it from
scratch. As it stands it is a dirivitive work of ACOS, and as such is in
violation of U.S. Copyright. L&L Productions threatened to Sue the person who
redid ACOS into MACOS is he continued to distribute it. If you want more info
you can get it on the L&L Suport BBS, but I degres.

The point of all this is that MACOS is *NOT* public domain.

Daniel
BITNET : danield%pro-grouch.cts.com@nosc.mil  | ProLine: danield@pro-grouch
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield         | INET:danield@pro-grouch.cts.com
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-grouch!danield@nosc.mil| All opinions here in are MINE!!